Windows 8 news coverage here

What are the chances that it will leak a few days early? Did the Windows 7 beta leak early?

well it's supposed to go up on MSDN and TechNet tomorrow so it's very possible

Windows 7 Leaks were all over the place!!!..

• Windows 7 Build 6519
  • Windows 7 Build 6801
  • Windows 7 Build 6936
  • Windows 7 Build 6956
  • Windows 7 Build 7000 Beta (i downloaded)
  • Windows 7 Build 7022 (i downloaded)
  • Windows 7 Build 7048
  • Windows 7 Build 7057 (i downloaded)
  • Windows 7 Build 7068
  • Windows 7 Build 7077 (i downloaded)
  • Windows 7 Build 7106

The ones i downloaded.. There were plenty changes in them. even after the Beta.

So its possible they tweak the UI after CP. Right now they just want the functionality and want it to be stable. That is going to be their main concern. So ppl find the CP usable and they can enjoy the experience.

Sounds good, although it's always a nightmare trying to identify legitimate vs fake versions.

Hardly an issue unless you are a total noob at finding leaked builds and aren't careful. I won't name them here, but there are a few trusted blogs out there where you can find the download links along with the hash/md5 codes to verify them.

The real question is whether anyone with technet/msdn access will take the risk of leaking the build.

Hardly an issue unless you are a total noob at finding leaked builds and aren't careful. I won't name them here, but there are a few trusted blogs out there where you can find the download links along with the hash/md5 codes to verify them.

The real question is whether anyone with technet/msdn access will take the risk of leaking the build.

what risk is there at that point, it's going to be the same build that gets released the 29th

and as far as I'm aware it'll be a standard non traceable activation

so i got a question.

If you download the ISO. transfer it to a USB. Take it to another computer. Burn it on a CD. Take it on another PC. And Seed it online. After seeding transfers to somebody else. Destroy that computer.

Can they trace the TechNet user? :p

so i got a question.

If you download the ISO. transfer it to a USB. Take it to another computer. Burn it on a CD. Take it on another PC. And Seed it online. After seeding transfers to somebody else. Destroy that computer.

idk...maybe MS puts little secret codes in each ISO that tell which user it is? O: that would be cool...

idk...maybe MS puts little secret codes in each ISO that tell which user it is? O: that would be cool...

Why you think W7 leaks was all over the place and now with W8 almost nothing? :)

There is something how Microsoft can trace the leaker.

But a MSDN/Technet ISO is open to everyone or they make around 1000000 different ISO's for each user.

So I doubt that, it's highly sure untraceable ISO's.

Also there is no confirm of MSDN/Technet release, just a rumor.

what risk is there at that point, it's going to be the same build that gets released the 29th

and as far as I'm aware it'll be a standard non traceable activation

Anything is possible this time around given how MS is a lot more serious when it comes to leaks, which is why we haven't had any. But yeah, it probably will be either basic activation or none at all.

How Microsoft is killing off the Zune and Windows Live brands in Windows 8

Microsoft appears to be killing off two of its key user-facing brands with the upcoming Consumer Preview release of Windows 8.

Windows Live applications have been rolled into preinstalled apps that work as the core "Windows Communications" applications for Windows 8, and this lack of Windows Live branding is only the tip of the iceberg. "Microsoft Account" will replace Windows Live ID in Windows 8, and the software giant has also removed traces of Zune from its Windows Store, Music, and Video applications, although Zune Pass functionality remains.

Microsoft's Xbox team is handling the creation and management of the Metro style Video and Music applications within Windows 8, and we previously heard that Windows 8 will move to "Xbox Live for Windows" as the entertainment brand for Windows 8 Music, Video and Games shortly before its release. The debranding of Zune has already taken effect in the final Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but the full transition away from Zune will take place over the summer. The move away from Zune is part of a broad effort to simplify and consolidate the company's brands into a simple consumer message alongside Microsoft SkyDrive and Microsoft Hotmail.

The branding will look like this in Windows 8:

• Microsoft Account (Windows Live ID)
  • Mail (Windows Live Mail)
  • Calendar (Windows Live Calendar)
  • People (Windows Live Contacts)
  • Photos (Windows Live Photo Gallery)
  • Music (Zune Music Player)
  • Video (Zune Video Player)

We have heard that Microsoft may be replacing Zune with a Spotify-like service later this year based on Xbox Live, and the move to scrap the Zune desktop client for Windows Phone 8 further backs up the death of Zune as a brand. Whether Windows Live and Zune are fully killed off by the end of the year remains to be seen, but Windows 8 is clearly taking the first big steps toward the inevitable.

Source: The Verge

Live Mesh will be integrated into the SkyDrive app that is up and coming.

I currently have close to 7GB of free space on dropbox and have little incentive to move away unless they are willing to open up the fully 25GB of skydrive available for desktop syncing. As it stands, only 2GB will be available.

All cloud sharing services have to make money off of their cloud setups, so there's no incentive to offer more generic desktop space. If they can sell music or movies, sure, they can host that for you, as they've already taken their cut.

I'll be curious to see what Dropbox does to make money in the long run. Obviously they're adding space for media now, but I'm not sure how their going to monetize that feature.

I currently have close to 7GB of free space on dropbox and have little incentive to move away unless they are willing to open up the fully 25GB of skydrive available for desktop syncing. As it stands, only 2GB will be available.

That would be the point of integrating skydrive into Win8 and also having a new Skydrive app that replaces Mesh. You'll get the whole 25GB to use as you like and more if you want to pay for it. Heck they're adding support for more file types as well.

They did that with the Windows 2000 beta. The downloader put your beta ID in the ISO. Lots of people lost their tech beta status.

I think you misread the blog post:

SkyDrive for the desktop will also provide the ability to sync up to your available quota of storage (and the ability to unlock more), along with unmatched performance on your PC. Oh, and we will also have support for uploading large files (up to 2GB) through Explorer, another big request from SkyDrive.com users over the years.

I think you misread the blog post:

Huge misread. Another awesome feature I'm now looking forward to. Too bad people are too hung up hating on Metro to the point they feel they would rather stick with Win7 and miss out on goodies like this.

well it's supposed to go up on MSDN and TechNet tomorrow so it's very possible

Really? :o great news then!

so i got a question.

The only question remains then is how the hell will you burn the ISO on to CD? :p