Windows 8 news coverage here

Funny to see people using this beta of the next OS but they still don't get how to use the snipping tool included many years to take screenshot, instead they are still using paint.

Maybe they should learn how to use the current OS before trying the next one :/ .

And what format images does the snipping tool spit out, may I ask?

I use Paint for screencaps because it spits out JPEG format images, fidelity is retained at a small size and compatible with every forum that accepts screencaps without chewing up attachment capacity.

I have 32-bit color (24+8) as my default desktop - do you have any idea how big a bitmap file of that color depth at 1920x1080 (my desktop resolution) would be?

What is the build number for the upcoming public beta?

Don't know yet but if they're in the 818x builds now and we know the beta will come in late Feb I guess it's safe to say that 8200 could be the beta build.

It's been confirmed earlier that 8200 will be proposed public beta.

And what format images does the snipping tool spit out, may I ask?

I use Paint for screencaps because it spits out JPEG format images, fidelity is retained at a small size and compatible with every forum that accepts screencaps without chewing up attachment capacity.

you can save your image as a PNG, JPEG or GIF

I don't understand how the availability of leaked builds can be so drastically different between Vista and 7. I mean, did they fire everyone that leaked a Vista build? Leaked builds during the Vista beta days seemed to come out every few weeks, and i must have burned 15 discs trying them out. Now, we have little more than the Dev Prev to mess around with. It makes me feel like this:

you-make-me-a-sad-panda.jpg

I don't understand how the availability of leaked builds can be so drastically different between Vista and 7. I mean, did they fire everyone that leaked a Vista build? Leaked builds during the Vista beta days seemed to come out every few weeks, and i must have burned 15 discs trying them out. Now, we have little more than the Dev Prev to mess around with. It makes me feel like this:

post-293012-0-37991500-1326638874.jpg

Then ? No. Now? Yes.

It's not just the legal threats, MS doesn't handle it the same as it use to. IIRC in the past they'd hand out the build without keys or give out a pre set of volume keys so you could use the same key pretty much as often as you wanted etc. Now though, from what I've read, when MS hands out builds to partners or w/e they come with a specific key for that copy and also other indicators I bet. So now the second you try to leak one they'll know who, or at least from what group, it leaked from if anything just from the key that goes out with it.

According to WZOR site, win8 reached 8192

screen859.jpg

Google translate of the Russian: "In 8190 there was no winmain"

And according to canouna, build 8189 was end of beta-coding, starting from 8191 it would be beta-escrow.

And something off-topic but interesting, the Russian site PcPortal was just blocked by MS, was it the web-master Drinko had posted something about win8 that had crossed the line ?

screen858.jpg

Google translate:

account is blocked

Infringement of copyright or related rights Microsoft:

http://pcportal.org.ru/forum/8-2580-1

http://pcportal.org.ru/forum/8

If you are the owner of this site, you can contact support via uCoz control panel for your site, to ascertain the circumstances

According to WZOR site, win8 reached 8192

screen859.jpg

Google translate of the Russian: "In 8190 there was no winmain"

Google translate has a long way to go...

By word translation: 8190 in winmain there was not

Re-arranged meaningfully: There was no 8190 in winmain

Do you know what was posted on that page?

No idea atm.

Google translate has a long way to go...

By word translation: 8190 in winmain there was not

Re-arranged meaningfully: There was no 8190 in winmain

Tks for the clear translation.

For Windows 7, it was almost zero radio silence until the pre-beta (6801) was released. After the Beta was released, we had leaks every few days. Just a couple of weeks more to the beta!

What are you hoping for in the beta?

I'm hoping for a better mouse and keyboard experience, and a better desktop experience with more metro.

• Like 1

What are you hoping for in the beta?

I'm hoping for a better mouse and keyboard experience, and a better desktop experience with more metro.

I'm looking forward to see what they do with the Essentials suite. I'm really hoping that they evolve into hub apps like on the phone. On a larger screen I think the People hub could be seriously awesome.

OK ALERT!!..

i follow a release site.. it tells me about the new rips releases. and it says WINDOWS 8 RC just leaked.

i doubt its RC.. it could be the Beta!!!

can anybody please confirm?

Release name: MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.RC1.ISO-LZ0

Please confirm.. :p im sure this is just fake. But they say it has Metro UI. and as far as i know the leaked builds didnt have that. except for DP.

EDIT: ok. Just read more about it. Its the DP!!!>. i got so excited for a second there :(

Taken from NFO, so hopefully answers your question, also stripped out all info that shouldn't appear here on forum

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 RC 1

Release Date : 2012-01-28

Nfo Date : 2012-01-28

Disks : xx/55 OS : WINDOWS

Nfo Time : 18:00 Rel Type : APPLICATION

Protection : RETAIL

Requirements : N/A

Publisher URL : http://www.microsoft.com/

Publisher : MICROSOFT

I N F O

Windows 8 is the codename for the next version of the

Microsoft Windows computer operating system following

Windows 7. It has many changes from previous versions. In

particular it adds support for ARM microprocessors in addition

to the previously supported x86 microprocessors from Intel

and AMD. A new Metro-style interface has been added that

was designed for touchscreen input in addition to mouse,

keyboard, and pen input.

I N S T A L L

1. Unpack

2. Mount or burn.

3. Install.

4. You'll notice that it's called "DEVELOPER PREVIEW" but

go online using the WINDOWS UPDATER and run an update,

and then the updated system will become a RELEASE CANDIDATE.

5. Enjoy this early release preview.