Windows 8 news coverage here

There's a 8230 build done on Friday. I thought 8250 was the CP build? I take from that, that it's not done yet.

Because you think that MS will take few month of vacancy after building the CP? They keep working on Windows 8 you know ...

Because you think that MS will take few month of vacancy after building the CP? They keep working on Windows 8 you know ...

Yeah, thats what the 827x builds are. The CP could end up being anything up to 826x for all we know at this point.

If someone claims there's a done CP build, why would they spin new ones below said build number? Especially when the ongoing development line is at 827x by now? That tells me that the escrow period is still not over, unlike what seems to have been claimed in various places.

If someone claims there's a done CP build, why would they spin new ones below said build number? Especially when the ongoing development line is at 827x by now? That tells me that the escrow period is still not over, unlike what seems to have been claimed in various places.

Does anyone truly understand how builds and branches work with Microsoft? :p

image_186.jpg

:D :D This has been a long time coming, IMO. A welcome change in my mind, classic shell post XP drives me nuts.

:D :D This has been a long time coming, IMO. A welcome change in my mind, classic shell post XP drives me nuts.

The majority of the anti-Metro hatred isn't that the Classic Shell *itself* is gone - it's all those post-XP add-ons to the menu.

First off - other than the menu, what used it? (From what I've seen, the majority of Windows applications (the ones that ship with Windows) moved away from using the "classic shell" starting way back with "Memphis" and "Nashville" - even Explorer itself.) The menu you see when you hover over the orb in the WDP is small, sparse, and utilitarian. It's also using a larger and more legible font - great not just for tablets and slates, but large-screen desktop and TV displays, as well. (Even if you run your desktop at 1920x1080 or larger, who really likes to squint at tiny type?)

The majority of the anti-Metro hatred isn't that the Classic Shell *itself* is gone - it's all those post-XP add-ons to the menu.

First off - other than the menu, what used it? (From what I've seen, the majority of Windows applications (the ones that ship with Windows) moved away from using the "classic shell" starting way back with "Memphis" and "Nashville" - even Explorer itself.) The menu you see when you hover over the orb in the WDP is small, sparse, and utilitarian. It's also using a larger and more legible font - great not just for tablets and slates, but large-screen desktop and TV displays, as well. (Even if you run your desktop at 1920x1080 or larger, who really likes to squint at tiny type?)

I think you're mistaken as to what the classic shell is - it's the Windows 9x "look" (the tanish looking "classic" theme). Also, if users are using larger screens, there is a way to increase the DPI, which will increase the size of the elements on the screen. The only downside to that is liitle to no 3rd party applications make user of DPI settings, and are completely destroyed when the system DPI is raised.

that is a parody account, not real...ignore that tweet!

It is mean of me to say but good. Was going to regret not buying it if it was true.

I think you're mistaken as to what the classic shell is - it's the Windows 9x "look" (the tanish looking "classic" theme). Also, if users are using larger screens, there is a way to increase the DPI, which will increase the size of the elements on the screen. The only downside to that is liitle to no 3rd party applications make user of DPI settings, and are completely destroyed when the system DPI is raised.

I was referring to the default - which most users don't adjust, to be honest - even after they get a larger display. (When I went from 17" CRT to 23" FP LCD, even though my resolution changed, my default screen font - in both size and typeface - was not changed one bit.)

I was referring to the default - which most users don't adjust, to be honest - even after they get a larger display. (When I went from 17" CRT to 23" FP LCD, even though my resolution changed, my default screen font - in both size and typeface - was not changed one bit.)

Are you ready for Windows "8"?

Windows "8" is being touted as a game changer. From the server, to the desktop, to mobility applications Windows "8" and Windows Server "8" will have an effect on how you do business and how much business you do. Join us at the Microsoft Conference Center on March 2-3, 2012 to learn the absolute latest about Windows "8" and Windows Server "8" from the best - Microsoft's own MVPs. MVPs are the Top Guns in their related fields and will be at MVP Nation to do a Deep-Dive on WIndows "8". If your clients use Microsoft Products, this is a MUST ATTEND EVENT.

Brought to you by industry leading SMB Nation, this event promises to get you on the right track with WIndows "8" - from both a technical and business standpoint. Don't delay another day. Space is limited. Sign up now!

http://mvp.smbnation.com/

Man.... These gradients on the tiles need to go away.. Bad choice. It gives them a curved look. For flatter they can make gradient come from a corner.

Exactly.

In the other hand, I wish they will add option to use custom color of each tile or if they will not, maybe someone made app for that.

But finally, icons are bigger on the tiles which hasn't got own metro style graphic.

I prefer the gradients. Without them, it just looks plain and crap, need to sparkle it up a little! :D

I prefer the gradients. Without them, it just looks plain and crap, need to sparkle it up a little! :D

I can get behind this. I always liked the style of the interface but a really subtle texture or gradient wouldn't hurt.