Windows 8 news coverage here

yeah...

looks like no surprise :(

what if.. the UI is a locked UI THEME.. that automatically applies when you enter the Beta key???

i remember a beta key had to be entered for Windows 7. or im just imagining stuff :p

maybe that key will activate the new UI? so that these testers dont see it. And its like a deep secret. Nobody knows expect a rare few working on it. And its like a surprise for everybody. ???? :p o boy!!!

You just keep dreaming....

I'm right there with you though :)

If you look at the history of beta's and leaks, Microsoft will reveal the new UI when it's in RC stage and when it's in beta, you will only find hints, or as it was the case with 7, you can unlock special UI features with some hacks.

I'm not sure if there will be a new desktop UI though..

They are clear about the fact Metro is the new way to go, and the desktop is kinda there for the people that are used to the desktop and Windows 7. I think they keep the desktop look and feel the same for now, or maybe they'll change some minor things to make it a little bit more consistent (icons, colors, wallpapers). I don't expect a full metroish-desktop though.

If you look at the history of beta's and leaks, Microsoft will reveal the new UI when it's in RC stage and when it's in beta, you will only find hints, or as it was the case with 7, you can unlock special UI features with some hacks.

I'm not sure if there will be a new desktop UI though..

They are clear about the fact Metro is the new way to go, and the desktop is kinda there for the people that are used to the desktop and Windows 7. I think they keep the desktop look and feel the same for now, or maybe they'll change some minor things to make it a little bit more consistent (icons, colors, wallpapers). I don't expect a full metroish-desktop though.

I think Zain Adeel and I are just hoping for that, small changes to the desktop environment, just so it blends in a bit more with the Metro start screen

I think Zain Adeel and I are just hoping for that, small changes to the desktop environment, just so it blends in a bit more with the Metro start screen

The point is that they plan to have the desktop and metro co-exist but still be seperate/distinct environments for quite a long time! They are going to want to keep them clearly distinguishable from each other because they are both different (just like different apps look different). For all intents and purposes, the desktop is an app now. :)

Well, there were some screenshots from an unleaked build a few weeks ago with a metroish 'my computer' desktop icon, which claimed to be real. Not sure if it was though, but who knows :)

yes..

and i have to say.. When win7 beta was out it had almost all the UI changes done.

After beta.. just some highlights were changed and some shadows got adjusted and polishing and stuff.

The big changes were all done.

Beta is supposed to let them know how ppl recieve their changes. Adding big UI changes after beta makes no sense.

oh well. This all points to the long standing fact that MS just want ppl to find desktop as their home when they install Windows 8. They want them to have a familiar part in the OS. Else they will get rid of this Glass thingy that has gotten old now. It needs to go.

I think it'll leak before wednesday, I think it will in just a few hours :)

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I am willing to bet that it doesn't though. ;)

Thanks. Counting down the hours now. :D

No problem! :)

I think it'll leak before wednesday, I think it will in just a few hours :)

Not keeping my hopes up, but i hope you are right

Once it's out it'll take me almost 2 days to download :(

i'll be raping my TechNet download account :) Gonna be maxing my connection right away :)

Can't wait for official CP to come this way, Win8 not so exciting as 7 so far but hey, I like change in general.

u on dialup?

nope, 512Kb/s (70KB/s) cable connection

but downloading a 2GB ISO will take me roughly 2 days on a connection like this :(

nope, 512Kb/s (70KB/s) cable connection

but downloading a 2GB ISO will take me roughly 2 days on a connection like this :(

Not to add salt to your wounds but the x64 build is usually 3.6GB+ while the x86 is 2.7GB or so :(

Glad i have 50Mbps at home, getting 6MB/s downloads from Microsoft on a normal day. We'll see if they can keep up on Wednesday.

Not to add salt to your wounds but the x64 build is usually 3.6GB+ while the x86 is 2.7GB or so :(

Glad i have 50Mbps at home, getting 6MB/s downloads from Microsoft on a normal day. We'll see if they can keep up on Wednesday.

Thanks dude :(

But i'm sure i'll enjoy it much better then you because I had to wait longer ;)

Will it be possible to have themes on the desktop? Easy then to install a Metro theme if so desired.

I doubt that they plan to allow that, but we will definitely soon see. :)

Did they actually give us a release date for this yet?

The Consumer Preview will be available for download on February 29, 9:00 EST/14:00 GMT/15:00 CET.