Windows 8 news coverage here

Seems we can upgrade our Windows 7 with the CP? Would love to do that, safes me lots of time I guess.

Edit: Downloading through the setup-program. 6 minutes left :)

OHOHOH

Mind answering a question or three about your experience?

a) does the Setup program do a clean install or upgrade install (or does it ask you?)

b) After it finishes downloading, will it do ANYTHING automatically? I'm going to leave my laptop alone for multiple hours while it downloads, and I don't want it autorestarting or anything until I get back and start the install.

Eh, I feel bad for posting this on Microsoft's forums and then on two neowin forums...but I'd really like to know :/

EDIT:

oh, well I got my answers on the Microsoft forum :D

a) it asks you

b) no

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any confirmation that they will NOT be releasing anything called a "Beta" version other than the DP & CP? I mean, I know that the default wallpaper on the CP suggests that this really is equivalent to a beta, but I've not seen it in print.

Has there been any confirmation that they will NOT be releasing anything called a "Beta" version other than the DP & CP? I mean, I know that the default wallpaper on the CP suggests that this really is equivalent to a beta, but I've not seen it in print.

RC will be the next official drop, said as such by Sinofsky himself during CP launch. So this is a beta called as CP.

Any idea when will we get updates for the CP apps? And actually make them worth using day to day?

Nothing's been said but I figure it'll just happen over time. Hell, they also said we'd get OS updates of some fashion too. Though I dunno what or how big those will be either. A updating CP would be better than just waiting for the RC to drop in May or June.

Any idea when will we get updates for the CP apps? And actually make them worth using day to day?

Are you talking about the metro apps? Because the store already offered me many apps update.

Are you talking about the metro apps? Because the store already offered me many apps update.

so tell me. can u see online contacts within the Messenger app yet? if not then i dont think its updated.

Now update for CP

3 updates for CP

1 for .NET framework 4.5

1 for defender

1 office suite 2007

CP updates

1- Application Compatibility release for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

2- An update to improve the performance tracking data for the Windows Store in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

3- solve a problem with "You cannot start an application from the tile in Windows 8 Consumer Preview"

so tell me. can u see online contacts within the Messenger app yet? if not then i dont think its updated.

Sounds like an update has been out yesterday.

I now have a green line near my online contacts on Windows Live. I'm not using Facebook, so I don't know if it's working or not with Fb.

Application version for contact is : 16.2.3237.215

win8china posted new screen-shots of latest win8 internal build: improved color choice bar

- On installation

image_361.jpg

- In the metro control panel

image_362.jpg

They didn't say which build, so far the known latest win8 builds are

8291.0.120228-1803

8293.0.120301-1824

8294.0.120302-1914

8295.0.120305-1300

8296.0.120306-1823

8297.0.120307-1810

8313.0.winmain.120315-1629

More color choice is nice, but how about letting us pick our own background too? I think the transition between desktop and start screen would be less of a event if they simply shared the same background images.

More color choice is nice, but how about letting us pick our own background too? I think the transition between desktop and start screen would be less of a event if they simply shared the same background images.

It's still a long way to RC, let alone RTM, I guess we just have to wait and see.