Do you know using 3rd party Cooler will void CPU warranty?

Hi everyone, just to share; i have a situation where both my Asus mainboard and CPU spoil at the same time just at the middle i am watching youtube. So i have decided to contact Intel for the warranty. Here how it goes.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'X'

: hi X

X: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?

: i have log in a case yesterday

: just want to know the status?

X: Alright. Please wait for 3 minutes as I will check the status of your Service Ticket xxxxxxxxxx. Thank you.

: the ticket is correct sir, no problem

X: Thank you for waiting.

: no worries. thank you too.

X: Please provide the complete markings of the processor and fan. Please open the link for your reference.

: should i type it here?

X: I have not heard from you for the last 3 minutes. Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?

X: Ah yes please.

: ok

: the first line in the processor is

: xxxxx

: intel coretm i7 -2600k

: sr00c 3.40GHZ

: xxxxx

:xxxxxxxx

: as for the fan

: i am using a third party fan, cooler master v8

: i go off for a while please keep this chat session open for 5 minutes. Thank you.

X: When did you start using this 3rd party fan, ? And, where is the original bundled fan?

X: I have not heard from you for the last 3 minutes. Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?

: i am back

: one year ago

X: When did you start using this 3rd party fan, ? And, where is the original bundled fan?

: from the 1st day of the new processor

X: Where is the original bundled fan?

: missing

X: Alright. I believe you have not mentioned that you were using 3rd party fan when you call us right? Because basically, using 3rd party fan which is considered to be non-validated hardware automatically voids the 3 year limited warranty of the processor.

: i see.

X: And the bundled fan is required when requesting for warranty replacement request.

X: Please open the link for more information.

: if i have the original fan am i still able to proceed with the warranty?

X: Unfortunately not, since the non-validated hardware was used on the processor. It was used on the first day it was bought.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am very sad after knowing my CPU is not legible for the warranty, I have not overclock my CPU, the reason i get a better cooler is to protect my beloved CPU but end up destroying my warranty, honesty sometime will hurt yourself . At the end of the day i have when to a retail store and get another 2600k :( I want to cry like a baby :(

Rule number one: When dealing with any form of tech support, RMA,etc. never tell them all the details! I use a 3rd party cooler on my AMD processor as well as overclock using the unlocked multiplier. I have had to RMA the CPU once, and in the course of obtaining the RMA, I never told them I overclocked or used an 3rd party cooler, and they issued me an RMA. Also reading through you chat log here I see that Intel requires you to send the fan with the CPU as well? AMD simply asks for the CPU. I can not see why they would want the fan, unless it is there way of determining if the CPU failed due to heat or something to that extent!

I did not expect that by using 3rd party cooler, it will void the warranty because there is so many in the market. the worse is i have thrown away the stock cooler the 1st day i got the CPU.

(Frantically looks for stock cooler that came with my i7.... remembered I threw it away.)

That is super-ultra weak. I feel for ya, bro.

Kinda on topic- So what's gonna happen with the 2011 socket chips that don't come with a bundled cooler? So is Intel saying that any socket 2011 CPU has no warranty because it doesn't come with a cooler? Or does the HS/Fan have to be Intel certified? What is. The deal?

What about the OEM that don't come with a Intel fan?

I was just about to ask why are people buying retail box cpu's when they could get a much cheaper OEM processor.

Still to answer your question, an OEM part warrenty is usually only a limited defective replacement based on workman ship because the OEM is the the customer facing client (Dell for example) for Intel and as such the customer's warrenty is with the OEM (Dell).

• Like 1

This makes no sense to me because their latest processors don't even ship with a cooler anymore. Intel are using this as an excuse to void your warranty. This is extremely disappointing and I'd recommend that you call them again and speak to someone in management and if they continue to go with this story about the cooler bring up the fact that their latest boxed retail processors do not come with a cooler.

• Like 1

This makes no sense to me because their latest processors don't even ship with a cooler anymore. Intel are using this as an excuse to void your warranty. This is extremely disappointing and I'd recommend that you call them again and speak to someone in management and if they continue to go with this story about the cooler bring up the fact that their latest boxed retail processors do not come with a cooler.

The person that i speak with shown me an Intel link regarding the warranty policy. it stated in the website that indeed CPU must come together with cooler and 3rd party cooler will void the warranty. The worse thing is i have told them i use the cooler master v8. for the stock cooler i will be able to get one from somewhere else if i know this earlier. Sincerely, i want to let everyone know the tactic to make a 100% successful warranty claim if anyone who run into the same problem. I personally feel, such a big company cant take real good care of its royal customer. Intel wallet is obviously larger then mine, at the end of the day i will still have to spend my hard earn cash just for another Intel CPU.

What about the OEM that don't come with a Intel fan?

OEM CPUs come with (at most) a thirty-day warranty (Newegg and TigerDirect, as well as most other e-tailers, and any retailer that sells new tray CPUs, will inform the customer of this).

That is why I almost always buy *retail-boxed* new CPUs (with the three-year Intel-covered warranty) - the only time I buy used is for straight replacements in existing builds.

When you follow the policy, Intel's RMA process is easily the best I have ever experienced. I have had, and at this is at worst, a three-day turnaround time on CPU RMAs (and though I am a member of Intel's Channel program, this is strictly as an ordinary customer).

• Like 1

Please - *every* retail-boxed Intel CPU still comes with a CPU cooler (the SB-E retail CPUs come with a liquid-cooling system, not a standard HSF). The only CPUs from Intel that don't include coolers are *tray* CPUs (which are meant for OEM system-builders and are typically sold in 1000-unit *tray lots*). Also, generally the only folks that *routinely* avoid Intel's HSFs are those that overclock OR those that have issues with Intel's *push-pin* cooler mounting system (which launched with LGA775, and has been used with all their HSFs since). The only issue I have had with the current HSFs from Intel has nothing to do with the push-pin mounting system, but with the use of three-wire fan motors in the HSFs that shipped with some Core2 CPUs (primarily early Core 2 Duos and Celeron DCs) - I actually find the push-pin mounting less of a bother than the old S478 and earlier stock HSFs. I just did a swap of an E3400 with a Q6600 (both CPU and HSF) last month - it was trouble-free.

Please - *every* retail-boxed Intel CPU still comes with a CPU cooler (the SB-E retail CPUs come with a liquid-cooling system, not a standard HSF).

Um, no they don't. The water coolers are sold separately.

• Like 1

When you follow the policy, Intel's RMA process is easily the best I have ever experienced. I have had, and at this is at worst, a three-day turnaround time on CPU RMAs (and though I am a member of Intel's Channel program, this is strictly as an ordinary customer).

Agreed ideally it is great.IMO to void a warranty just because the 3rd party cooler is used is a practice but i find it not balance and unfair. Mostly if anyone know the policies, they will just say " i am not using any 3rd party cooler" there is no way to prove it. As for people that don't know the policies will admit using 3rd parties and void the warranty. Personally feel unfair because my warranty is void because i answer the question wrongly.

Um, no they don't. The water coolers are sold separately.

This.

There is going to be two separate Intel options:

a) An Intel air cooling fan that is also specified to work with the future Ivy-E

b) A quite affordable (80-100$ish) Asetek water cooler with Intel branding, same as Bulldozer's water cooler.

My guess is that retail boxes without cooler have a requirement of using a separately purchased Intel cooler.

It'd be crazy to essentially void the warranty in the second of innocently purchasing the retail box.

@OP: Too bad! :(

Thanks for the heads up.

This should be common knowledge and given the popularity of 3rd party coolers it'd be kind of Intel to have a sticker somewhere that using a 3rd party cooler voids your warranty.

What's next? Do I have to use Intel motherboards?

</s></troll>

Seriously though, a faulty motherboard can do way more harm than a faulty cooler!

Tisk, at least be more transparent and direct about that policy if you really want not to look like "haha, saved a replacement and won a second purchase trolololol"

Of cause they have stated that where you normally should refer to for any warranty questions, the problem lies in the heavy acceptance even among geeks and professionals of third party solutions that make it seem like "normal case" or at least not like "oh, let me first read up the part about catches".

It's psychology 101 and of course Intel know this.

Neglecting that aspect shows they don't put ease and service first, but rather making crucial and often required info a thing to look up where modt people don't refer to on say day one, but when it's too late.

Now, you can't call it dishonesty, but yeah...

Doesn't really build a lot of trust and positive image around your brand...

Glassed Silver:ios

Please - *every* retail-boxed Intel CPU still comes with a CPU cooler (the SB-E retail CPUs come with a liquid-cooling system, not a standard HSF).

No they don't. You are totally misinformed.

Proof: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116492

Click on Details slide down and you will see the part that says: Cooling Device: Cooling device not included - Processor Only But you will also notice that this is a boxed retail processor not an OEM processor and has the full standard 3 year warranty. Intel does not sell these X79 processors with the cooler included it is sold separately as they know that enthusiasts don't use the standard HSF in the first place. Please in future check your information before trying to discredit other users.

Just like intel to screw the customer.

The one time I ruined a CPU, was my AMD Dual Core Black Edition 6000+ because I pushed it too much.

I called AMD, told them everything, only thing the guy had to say was "did you at least use an aftermarket". I answered with of course I did, here it is. The guy was like "oh thats a good cooler, i use it at home" and we just chatted about our builds and stuff, during all of this he was actually filling out an RMA. I asked him in the middle of us talking if the warranty covers it and he said "yes, of course. For black editions you are covered for everything, for "normal" / OEM Cpu's, we cover normal defective policy". I asked if I had a normal cpu with an aftermarket just because I believe thats the best way to cool the cpu, he said "you would still be in warranty, but we would definitely check for over clocking damage".

So, not only did they take care of me but there policy is amazing.

• Like 1

I didn't read your whole chat, but if they claimed that using a third party HSF voided your warranty then you should ask for it in writing then proceed to sue Intel for violating the Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act.

You can see an overview at the FTC.

In general, they can't force you to buy or use their "tie-in" products for warranty protection. They would have to prove that you improperly installed the aftermarket HSF which would be a violation of the warranty.

Frazell, you're a genius!

I'll keep you in mind, should I ever have US law questions!

Glassed Silver:mac

Just like intel to screw the customer.

The one time I ruined a CPU, was my AMD Dual Core Black Edition 6000+ because I pushed it too much.

I called AMD, told them everything, only thing the guy had to say was "did you at least use an aftermarket". I answered with of course I did, here it is. The guy was like "oh thats a good cooler, i use it at home" and we just chatted about our builds and stuff, during all of this he was actually filling out an RMA. I asked him in the middle of us talking if the warranty covers it and he said "yes, of course. For black editions you are covered for everything, for "normal" / OEM Cpu's, we cover normal defective policy". I asked if I had a normal cpu with an aftermarket just because I believe thats the best way to cool the cpu, he said "you would still be in warranty, but we would definitely check for over clocking damage".

So, not only did they take care of me but there policy is amazing.

This is precisely what i think Intel should follow. The 2600k allow to overclock but their policies does not allow any 3rd party cooler. IMO it is just contradict.

Further more no where in Intel's Official Warranty does it say using a third party HSF would invalidate the warranty.

http://download.inte...yr_warranty.pdf

I have not gone through all the words, does that means i will be able to get the warranty later on?