the nicest way i can put it is it seems like a gay CoD

I think you have that the other way around. ;)

I'll fix it.

CoD: the nicest way i can describe it is it seems like a gay Counter-Strike

• Like 2

Is GO welcoming for new players? I never played CS:S or even 1.6, for whatever reason, but if there is going to be interest from the neowin community I'd like to give it a go.

I just played a bit of the beta yesterday and, as someone who has also not played any Counter Strike games before, it's not that bad. I would suggest playing against bots first so that you don't just jump into a multiplayer match with people who know every nook and cranny on the maps, though :p

the nicest way i can put it is it seems like a gay CoD

Are you kidding me? First, what does that even mean? Secondly, Counter Strike is about the furthest thing from CoD there can be.

They both are First Person Shooters. They both have guns and a military theme. The similarities literally end there. Gameplay speaking, they are two very, very different games. Counter Strike is a much slower paced, deliberate experience. A lot of people hate it for this fact, but it is by far the more "thinking mans" game out of the two.

• Like 2

Is GO welcoming for new players? I never played CS:S or even 1.6, for whatever reason, but if there is going to be interest from the neowin community I'd like to give it a go.

If you can find another group of people who are friendly, or also noobs, then yes. Otherwise, absolutely not. :laugh:

Hey, DirtyLarry,

You pre-ordered on PS3 only, or are you getting this on PC also?

I was hoping of purchase once, and have on both systems.

Yeah I was hoping the same, but does not look like it is the case. At least not as far as i can see.

So I may go ahead and purchase the PC version as well, going to play the PS3 version a bit and see if I also want the PC version, which coming from the fact I have always played the game on PC, chances are I will go ahead and get it for it as well. The big thing that may stop me is the PS3 version does support Keyboard & Mouse. But still, this is a game that is a PC title IMO.

My biggest concern about getting this on the Xbox 360. Are the servers going to be P2P? Wonder how large the community will actually be? Those are the things that as of right now scary for me. I prefer the controller over the mouse.

12 hours left!

Sucks I will be at work. Hopefully I can get the download going beforehand.

CSGO>GW2>Madden 13

Been waiting for this week for awhile now. I think I'm going to take some time off, for some "relaxing." ;)

Pre-ordered this on PS3, does anyone know when this actually releases? Google searches claim it's today..

It's supposed to be out today: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/13/counter-strike-global-offensive-coming-to-psn-august-21st/

The X360 version will be out tomorrow: http://majornelson.com/2012/08/21/a-look-at-content-coming-soon-to-the-xbox-2/

Oh nice, did not realize the PS3 version was out today. Going to check it out when I get home!

Yeah I was hoping the same, but does not look like it is the case. At least not as far as i can see.

So I may go ahead and purchase the PC version as well, going to play the PS3 version a bit and see if I also want the PC version, which coming from the fact I have always played the game on PC, chances are I will go ahead and get it for it as well. The big thing that may stop me is the PS3 version does support Keyboard & Mouse. But still, this is a game that is a PC title IMO.

I preordered it for both PS3 and Steam. While playing the PS3 version will be fun, you should definitely get it on Steam, just for the custom map and mod support alone. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same experience.

Went ahead and pre-purchased Sunday but didn't get to try the beta :laugh: Ah well, hopefully will get some time in tonight, got a few things to do before then. Watched some youtube vids and I love how pick up and go it appears.

It's even more fun than the beta. The only downside, for me, is the lack of Zombie Mod servers. Apparently, there's only one server up with the mod. And the guys that developed it aren't releasing it to the public yet.

Also, it looks like CS:GO is more popular than CS 1.6 and CS:S. It's already the fourth most-played game on Steam.

14xnsyq.png

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I preordered it for both PS3 and Steam. While playing the PS3 version will be fun, you should definitely get it on Steam, just for the custom map and mod support alone. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same experience.

yeah, I will pick it up on the PC as well. Going to hold out and see if I am somehow lucky enough to win it off the Neogamr competition first though.

Also forgot to add, already on my PS3. I know a lot of people say the PSN is slow for them, but I had it in about 10 minutes. (Y)

Played 2 very quick (full) rounds using a controller on the PS3. Just the casual competitive. At first I did about as bad as I have ever done in the game. Did not get a single kill in the first round, and it seemed like the hit detection was way, way off.

2nd full round I went 6-6, which was much, much better then the first round. Still have a long way to go, but damn, brought back some good memories, as the two maps were Office and Italy.

Got my wireless keyboard out that I own just for my PS3, going to see how I fare with it in a little bit.

Waiting for the release tonight on the Xbox. I hope my bod can stay up that long. I'm very excited about this game coming to the Xbox as I remember when the first Counter-Strike released on the Xbox it was awesome, even though I sucked terribly at shooters on a console then. Anyone plan on picking it up on the Xbox other than me?

Played some more just now. Checked out the one mode, forget the name of it but where you get newer guns for kills (Arms Race perhaps) and holy ****, it was a total lagfest on the PS3. Like absolutely unplayable. Am hoping it was just Day 1 server issues, because if not, that is pretty horrible performance. Unacceptable actually.

So went back to Casual Competitive, and I have to say, it is just a fun game to play. Bringing back a whole lot of memories.

It is quite amusing listening to people talk about the game though. Had a few people on the server who had played previous CS games, so they were trying to explain to the other people how they should be playing, etc., then you had people, and I am literally quoting here, saying things like "Where are my killstreaks? This game sucks." :rofl:

So I really wonder if those people will keep on playing, or eventually decide to stop because it is in fact not Call of Duty.

But overall I was pretty impressed by the fact a decent amount of the new players to the game were trying to play it the way it is meant to be played. I felt as if there was some hope for humanity after-all.

Played some more just now. Checked out the one mode, forget the name of it but where you get newer guns for kills (Arms Race perhaps) and holy ****, it was a total lagfest on the PS3. Like absolutely unplayable. Am hoping it was just Day 1 server issues, because if not, that is pretty horrible performance. Unacceptable actually.

So went back to Casual Competitive, and I have to say, it is just a fun game to play. Bringing back a whole lot of memories.

It is quite amusing listening to people talk about the game though. Had a few people on the server who had played previous CS games, so they were trying to explain to the other people how they should be playing, etc., then you had people, and I am literally quoting here, saying things like "Where are my killstreaks? This game sucks." :rofl:

So I really wonder if those people will keep on playing, or eventually decide to stop because it is in fact not Call of Duty.

But overall I was pretty impressed by the fact a decent amount of the new players to the game were trying to play it the way it is meant to be played. I felt as if there was some hope for humanity after-all.

As a newcomer such as myself, do you mind giving me some tips? I don't want to be "that guy" :laugh: I would like to get the most enjoyment out of the game and I want to learn how to play it properly, which is why I'm asking.

As a newcomer such as myself, do you mind giving me some tips? I don't want to be "that guy" :laugh: I would like to get the most enjoyment out of the game and I want to learn how to play it properly, which is why I'm asking.

Always buy a vest. :)