official fps counter-strike valve hidden path pc xbox 360 ps3

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

• 3,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:42

Did anyone see the Eight out of Eight review?

I haven't pulled the trigger to get it yet but it was pretty positive about it. But I think I'll wait until it's a bit further polished.

#182 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:57

Okay Hawkman, I finally got what you were saying, you definitely did not convey that with your first post, but understood now.

I have to say, I had about 25 minutes yesterday afternoon to play something, so instead of running upstairs to play on my computer (which I have to say is my biggest problem with PC gaming these days, I sit in front of a computer all week at work, and I find it really hard to get the motivation to do the same when I get home, even for gaming) I fired up the PS3 really quick, sat on my couch, and decided to play some Counter Strike GO despite my negative experience last time doing so.

This time I wound up on a server where everyone was damn cool. It was the same group of people for about 5 whole matches. Changing teams. Communicating with others. So yeah, it is not all console players. Just some.

#183 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:14

So, I FINALLY played GO on the PC tonight. Just was itching to do so. And DAMN, what a difference. I mean seriously. All graphics absolutely maxed out, and still getting over 120 FPS. Just night and day with graphics to the console version. It is also such a better game with more people on each team. Such a better game.

However I will say this, guess what I experienced? Players trying to kick another player for not being good enough?
not even kidding. Luckily the vote failed, and the guy being kicked called everyone out in text chat "WTF? I am not cool enough for you?," but yeah, perhaps the online gaming community has just changed that much since I used to play a lot. As I said the vote failed, and I was truly glad it did, but I seriously had to chuckle, as the very thing I have been saying does not happen on the PC happened, and pretty damn soon after I started playing. Apologies HawkMan.

I will say though, what is up with the server browser? It is non existent, and once I did find it, it was a joke. The text on the buttons for it was all sorts of messed up, and it was just really bootleg. They somehow managed to make it worse since Source, which I was not sure that was possible.

But I came downstairs and told my wife "I am going to be playing upstairs on my PC a lot more these upcoming months." It really reminded me why as much as I defer to the consoles these days, I still prefer the PC tenfold. I actually had a positive KDR the first match I played (not so much the rounds that followed), but it really made me realize I have actually been short changing myself playing FPS's on a console. I am not saying one can still not have fun playing them on the console, but I am saying it is that much better of an experience, and the precision is not even comparable between the two platforms.

So yeah, I think this last hour very well may have rekindled a spark in me to get serious about PC gaming again. I already have Borderlands 2 in my Steam list waiting for preload, and really looking forward to Black Mesa on the 14th, so I am going to make a conscience effort to play much more on the PC, carpal tunnel syndrome be damned. :)

#184 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,347 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:06

Did anyone see the Eight out of Eight review?

I haven't pulled the trigger to get it yet but it was pretty positive about it. But I think I'll wait until it's a bit further polished.

Is this what you were referring to? I haven't seen all of it but from what I've seen, his impression of the game is unbiased. At this point, I think the only thing that needs work is the server browser. As a CS 1.6 player, my first instinct was to use the server browser. What I found is that after a couple of games, I preferred to just hit find match or start a lobby with a friend. I miss the ease of finding a low ping server with a map that I want to play. Fortunately for me, I enjoy playing all the CS:GO maps equally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJlgn1vHJA

So, I FINALLY played GO on the PC tonight. Just was itching to do so. And DAMN, what a difference. I mean seriously. All graphics absolutely maxed out, and still getting over 120 FPS. Just night and day with graphics to the console version. It is also such a better game with more people on each team. Such a better game.

However I will say this, guess what I experienced? Players trying to kick another player for not being good enough?
not even kidding. Luckily the vote failed, and the guy being kicked called everyone out in text chat "WTF? I am not cool enough for you?," but yeah, perhaps the online gaming community has just changed that much since I used to play a lot. As I said the vote failed, and I was truly glad it did, but I seriously had to chuckle, as the very thing I have been saying does not happen on the PC happened, and pretty damn soon after I started playing. Apologies HawkMan.

I will say though, what is up with the server browser? It is non existent, and once I did find it, it was a joke. The text on the buttons for it was all sorts of messed up, and it was just really bootleg. They somehow managed to make it worse since Source, which I was not sure that was possible.

But I came downstairs and told my wife "I am going to be playing upstairs on my PC a lot more these upcoming months." It really reminded me why as much as I defer to the consoles these days, I still prefer the PC tenfold. I actually had a positive KDR the first match I played (not so much the rounds that followed), but it really made me realize I have actually been short changing myself playing FPS's on a console. I am not saying one can still not have fun playing them on the console, but I am saying it is that much better of an experience, and the precision is not even comparable between the two platforms.

So yeah, I think this last hour very well may have rekindled a spark in me to get serious about PC gaming again. I already have Borderlands 2 in my Steam list waiting for preload, and really looking forward to Black Mesa on the 14th, so I am going to make a conscience effort to play much more on the PC, carpal tunnel syndrome be damned. :)

Agreed. CS started on the PC and I firmly believe that it's best-enjoyed on the PC. Nothing beats the precision you get with a mouse and keyboard. To those that think I'm a member of the "PC gaming master race", think otherwise. I don't see console gamers as lowly peasants.

In fact, I've thoroughly enjoyed playing the following games for the Xbox 360:
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 & 3
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Battlefield 3
  • Crysis 2
  • Medal of Honor
And these are games that I could have easily played on my gaming PC. Modern Warfare 3 is what I currently play and I've maintained a K/D ratio above 2.6 (I think it's 2.66 or 2.67) for a long time. The point that I'm trying to convey is that I don't hate controllers because I suck with them. I just prefer a mouse and keyboard because it's better for first-person shooters.

Anyway, it's a shame you witnessed something like that. I had a really good experience with CS 1.6 and the positive community I engaged with had a lasting impact on me. It disappoints me to read that a player tried to kick a less-skilled player. It's a public server so unless there's a rule that says "No noobs allowed", anyone with any skill level should be allowed to play. Don't get me wrong though, I would never run a public server that doesn't allow noobs to play. I'd most likely encourage new players to join because I like to see new people enjoying a game that I like. It all boils down to one thing: having fun.

One more thing. I figured I'd show these screenshots of my Call of Duty ELITE profile, just to add a bit of weight to my post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#185 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:51

I use the regular server browser, and it's the same old Steam browser you should be used to.

#186 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:09

The problem with the server browser is
1: it's transparent with text that blends in with the background
2: it only allows to filter/search by tags
3: You can't filter/search by server names. (double of the 2 because it's important)
4: filters don't save

Just because it's the same as a really old server browser that wasn't good even when it was new doesn't make it good. it just makes it worse.

#187 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,925 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:14

Had similar experience with BF3. I played both the 360 and PS3 version, and while I had fun on PS3, now that I finally got it for PC there just is no comparison.

At this point I am enjoying GO but am also mostly just playing quick match Arms Race. Basically, its a quick fix for me. I usually play an hour and am done with it. Haven't really had any issues community-wise but I do agree about the server browser...what a nightmare.

#188 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,347 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 01 November 2012 - 20:42

CS:GO is free-to-play for the weekend (starting today): http://blog.counter-...p/2012/11/5641/

It's also on sale for 33% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/730/

#189 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

• 2,033 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:07

CS GO just go its TF2 equivalent of hats!!!!!!

http://blog.counter-...e.net/armsdeal/

#190 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,305 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:06

CS GO just go its TF2 equivalent of hats!!!!!!

http://blog.counter-...e.net/armsdeal/

I think these actually make more sense than hats.

#191 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

• 2,033 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:51

I think these actually make more sense than hats.

I just sold my red awp for $20 on the steam marketplace, and sold 3 crates for 3 bucks a piece!

#192 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• 2,273 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 23:31

Ive started playing again and I cant stress how important a good server / config is. I thought my aim was off, been for a couple of weeks with a bad config, new config and BOOM im hitting far more often.

My Autoexec is basic

fps_max 120
cl_interp "0"
cl_interp_ratio "1"
cl_cmdrate "128"
cl_updaterate "128"
rate "128000"

for 128 tick server.

#193 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,724 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 19:46

Valve explains how CS:GO became the second most-played game on Steam

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!