As a newcomer such as myself, do you mind giving me some tips? I don't want to be "that guy" :laugh: I would like to get the most enjoyment out of the game and I want to learn how to play it properly, which is why I'm asking.

Sure absolutely, even though I currently am sucking it up big time, I do know how to play the game itself.

Short, controlled bursts are the name of the game when firing. Anything else is worthless. Do not hold down on the trigger. Also do not fire just because you see someone. That is a sure fire way to give away your position. When you decide to pull the trigger, make sure you will hit who you are aiming at. So although your initial reaction is going to be shot as soon as you see someone, fight that impulse. Wait until you know you are going to hit them, and hit them multiple times. Also as with every other First Person Shooter, headshots rule all. But it is especially true in this game. Also get used to the grenades. Flashbangs really are incredibly effective.

As tempted as you will be in the earlier rounds, try to hold off on buying good weapons. Just try to get through the first couple of rounds with a pistol. It will pay off in the later rounds, especially if you are on the losing team.

Patience. Patience. More patience. if you try and run and gun in this game, unless you are incredibly good at it, you will die quick. Move slow and deliberate.

Let the game come to you. What I mean by this is if you think you have a good position. Hold it. Again, patience.

Since you are new, play a good amount of the offline bot matches. Main reason to do so, is to learn the maps. That is pretty much the key to this game. Each and every single map has multiple "vantage points" that are in fact the best place to sit and wait for people to reveal themselves. Knowing these spots, from both an offensive and defensive perspective, is key to doing really well.

let other people lead the way. :laugh: I know it sounds like the cowards way out almost, but stay behind everyone, at least initially. But watch them closely. They will help reveal where the enemy is at, as most likely they will get shot. Watching them get shot will show you where the enemy is.

if you are playing casual competitive, learn the hostage areas and the bomb sites. Even if you do not get kills initially, planting bombs and/or rescuing hostages will also get you cash. The game does reward you for doing the objectives. Also if you are on the Counter Terrorist team and playing the bomb maps, especially if you notice the Terrorists are planting the bomb a lot, spend the cash on the defusal kit. It really does speed up defusing the bomb tremendously. if you defuse the bomb, you win the round, even if the entire team is alive. BUT with that said, especially if a decent amount of the enemy team is alive and they have planted the bomb, approach the bomb site really, really slow. if they area good team, they will have people covering the planted bomb. Again, the "vantage points."

Stick together. Even with strangers. This is a team oriented game all the way, especially on the competitive modes.

Really to summarize, slow and steady wins the race in this game. No doubt about it. Although it is a video game, it does do a pretty good job of staying realistic. Just as in reality, if you just run around holding down the trigger, you will have zero accuracy and hit nothing.

If I think of anything else, I will share. But I think that is a pretty good basis. It will take some time getting used to this game. No doubt about it. Just stick with it. In fact when I first checked out the original CS, like the very first version released. I absolutely hated it. Just did not "get it." It was not until a year later when I revisited it that I get the hang of the game itself. Patience really is a virtue in this game, and practice does make perfect.

Hope that helps some. It is a fantastic game once you get into the swing of things so to speak. It is unlike any other shooter out there.

Always buy a vest. :)

(Y) Absolutely this as well. Thanks for the reminder. it is just second nature for me now.

DL

Thanks, man, truly appreciate the advice. If you get on for PC maybe we can get in some matches together. In fact, hopefully we can get a few neowin members to join up.

I'll have to keep telling myself to go slow for sure!

Thanks, man, truly appreciate the advice. If you get on for PC maybe we can get in some matches together. In fact, hopefully we can get a few neowin members to join up.

Not a problem at all.

And Sounds good. I will definitely pick it up for the PC, as I said just going to hold off to see if I am somehow luckiy and win a key. But I will be getting it regardless. (Y)

And absolutely, slow at first is the way to go. Do not get me wrong, there are people who can play the game incredibly fast, but it took them quite some time to get to that level.

Enjoy. (Y)

You guys did not learn from TF2? What you are paying for is a hat; it's going to go F2P very soon. I'm going to wait this time.

Didnt it take a year or something for TF2 to go F2P? If not longer?

And honestly, I am not sure it is going to happen here. TF2 has the hats and all of that so they can still make money. CS really does not have anything like that.

So I think Valve is going to be just fine with getting $15 a pop for it.

There's a Neowin.net group on Steam. Check it out: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neowin

[...]

Didnt it take a year or something for TF2 to go F2P? If not longer?

And honestly, I am not sure it is going to happen here. TF2 has the hats and all of that so they can still make money. CS really does not have anything like that.

So I think Valve is going to be just fine with getting $15 a pop for it.

It definitely took longer than a year. It was released as a part of The Orange Box (release date: October 2007). TF2 became a free-to-play title in June 2011. I agree with you though. CS:GO isn't the kind of game where unique items belong. Unlike TF2 and Dota 2, it just doesn't support the kind of uniqueness that the aforementioned games have. By that, I mean the need to customize characters with various cosmetic items. Do you think CS:GO players would enjoy fragging someone with a chicken on their head? I don't, but here's what I do think: Valve are happy with the $15 USD price tag for CS:GO. And I don't think they can constantly update the console versions with wave after wave of user-created items.

So, had a great night, and so did my server for opening day. Played for quite a while, and possibly too late, lol.

My server has consistently had people all night. If you like Gungame (renamed arms race, for csgo) then join me tomorrow night. All maps are custom, and the downloads are fast.

Also, I am closing down my classic server, as there are way to many as it is and it gets no visitors. I'm not a big fan of classic anymore, as much as I used to be. I pretty much only play gungame now anyway, so.

Anyway, feel free to join!

b_560_95_1.png

Good to see some Gun Game with classic GG style maps, can't wait for these to really fill up! :D

So, had a great night, and so did my server for opening day. Played for quite a while, and possibly too late, lol.

My server has consistently had people all night. If you like Gungame (renamed arms race, for csgo) then join me tomorrow night. All maps are custom, and the downloads are fast.

Also, I am closing down my classic server, as there are way to many as it is and it gets no visitors. I'm not a big fan of classic anymore, as much as I used to be. I pretty much only play gungame now anyway, so.

Anyway, feel free to join!

b_560_95_1.png

Nice I'll check it out (Y)

I haven't played CS in forever. I used to be really good at it, but it's been a long time.

All of the updates and changes they've made to CS:GO haven't really impressed me. Every single one of them could have been added/patched into CS:S, but they chose to try and squeeze money out of the community instead. So, that has kind of put me off the game. If it does go the TF2/Dota2 route and become free to play in the future, I may try it then.

Just played some Arms Race, great fun. Got slaughtered but still had a blast. For a newbie its nice to try out a bunch of weapons. I have a similar issue to TotalBiscuit in his vid, I tend to aim too low, takes me 3-4 shots to down someone when it takes them 1-2.

Just played some Arms Race, great fun. Got slaughtered but still had a blast. For a newbie its nice to try out a bunch of weapons. I have a similar issue to TotalBiscuit in his vid, I tend to aim too low, takes me 3-4 shots to down someone when it takes them 1-2.

Give me a bit, and I will post my crosshair settings for you.

The default crosshairs are really bad for aiming. The way I have mine set, is as a little dot. When I play I don't look at anything on the screen, my gun, the map, or other players. I focus directly on my crosshair dot, and I aim high. I'd rather shoot and miss around their head, then shooting and hitting the body. But focusing only on the dot, and nothing else, makes it easier to place your aim and take your shots at the right time.

EDIT:

Put these (individually) into your console. (Make sure you have console enabled in the game options menu, then use the ~ key to open it.)

cl_crosshairdot 1
cl_crosshairsize 0
cl_crosshairthickness 1.5

A few things need to be addressed on the Xbox 360. I can't speak for the PS3 players.

- FPS Drop. There is a drop in FPS during some fights that basically get you killed because of it. I've noticed this more in Arms Race than anything.

- Freezing. The game randomly freezes during a match or loading screen. You have to either shut down the Xbox or return to the Dashboard.

These are the two biggest concerns right now I have after playing it for a few hours.

Man I sucked on the PS3. I only played with the controller, but it was pretty damn hard to aim. I was pwning the bots though, in practice. I'll try again with a KB and mouse at some point. Got to say that the game plays pretty well on my Mac though. Not that I was ever really good at CS, but I do a hell of a lot better with a KB and mouse :p

It's obviously just me, but I really don't get the point of reinventing CS again, for the third time. I mean 1.6 is still played competitively, I just watched some of the IEM matches the other day and that's a massive tournament with something like $35k going to the winning team.

I played the hell of CS 1.6 and that game is still alive and kicking, so again I'm not sure why they are trying to remake it? I guess that's my question.

Because 1.6 is RIDDLED with bugs. And it's old and crap looking. I personally enjoy a game when the graphics are better because you get immersed more into it. Sure, graphics aren't as important as gameplay but when you're in a game that draws you in, you want good graphics.

Too bad the gameplay in GO compared to 1.6 is complete ****. I personally don't play CS competitively anymore but even if I did 1.6 still blows GO and Source out of the water. The gunplay in this game is trash.

Give me a bit, and I will post my crosshair settings for you.

The default crosshairs are really bad for aiming. The way I have mine set, is as a little dot. When I play I don't look at anything on the screen, my gun, the map, or other players. I focus directly on my crosshair dot, and I aim high. I'd rather shoot and miss around their head, then shooting and hitting the body. But focusing only on the dot, and nothing else, makes it easier to place your aim and take your shots at the right time.

EDIT:

Put these (individually) into your console. (Make sure you have console enabled in the game options menu, then use the ~ key to open it.)

cl_crosshairdot 1
cl_crosshairsize 0
cl_crosshairthickness 1.5

Wow, that helps a ton! Thanks, zappa. After 2 rounds I already saw an increase in accuracy.

Too bad the gameplay in GO compared to 1.6 is complete ****. I personally don't play CS competitively anymore but even if I did 1.6 still blows GO and Source out of the water. The gunplay in this game is trash.

I strongly disagree. To me, CS:GO is CS:S done right. It's not like CS 1.6 which isn't a bad thing. CS 1.6 has its own very distinct feel because of its engine (GoldSrc vs. Source). It's hard to truly emulate CS 1.6 with the Source engine. What they've done to improve the HUD, graphics, and overall feel of the game is great. I don't play CS 1.6 anymore and I didn't think I'd ever invest time into a CS game, but CS:GO is really fun. You should give it another try.

I just played a couple of good games today on de_dust and de_dust2.