Jeremy Clarkson strike comments bring BBC apology

Jeremy Clarkson strike comments bring BBC apology

The BBC has apologised after Jeremy Clarkson said he would like to see striking public sector workers "shot".

The Top Gear presenter was speaking on the BBC's The One Show on the day of widespread public sector strikes.

He said: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

A BBC spokesman said: "The One Show apologised at the end of the show to viewers who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson's comments."

Jon Trickett, Labour's shadow minister for the Cabinet Office, said: "No-one wants these strikes but most of today's strikers are mums, not militants.

"Clarkson should apologise. And the prime minister should make clear he disassociates himself from the distasteful remarks uttered by one of his friends."

Mr Clarkson's comments sparked hundreds of angry comments on Twitter.

Among them was author Tony Parsons, who wrote: "Jeremy Clarkson has misjudged the moment. Criticising striking public sector workers today is like sieg-heiling at Last Night of the Proms."

Tens of thousands of people joined rallies around the UK on Wednesday as a public sector strike over pensions disrupted schools, hospitals and other services.

About two-thirds of state schools shut, and thousands of hospital operations were postponed, as unions estimated up to two million people went on strike.

Unions oppose plans to make members pay more and work longer to earn pensions.

Source: BBC News

He was obviously being sarcastic in the interview and that's the point that really bugs me. It was completely said in a "pub banter" sort of way and it's being blown out of all proportion.

People miss his point at the end about his actual thoughts on the strikes and that public workers have a "guilded edge" pension etc etc. Love how main points can get missed by the PC brigade.

• Like 3

Pretty sure it was said with a view to being sarcastic, but in this ridiculous world that we live in, you just KNOW that it's going to get taken out of context!

He was obviously being sarcastic in the interview and that's the point that really bugs me. It was completely said in a "pub banter" sort of way and it's being blown out of all proportion.

I didn't see the interview, but I understood this just from reading the article and knowing how Jeremy Clarkson talks.

Seriously, some people blow these things way out of proportion.

Pretty sure he is just getting publicity for his new DVD? he even admitted that on The One Show last night on BBC 1 ;)

Must be nice having a pension. I know if I had one I wouldnt be out moaning the odds. Public sector workers forget that you wont get these pensions anywhere else, not to mention ever again as its a dying animal.

Yes its awful that you have to make more contributions and pay 2-3% extra, but did you really think this wouldnt happen? You have a private sector where to get a basic pension you need to be putting out ?200 a month to the pot.

Plus its been proven that public sector workers take more holidays and take more sick days than private workers.

Sorry but as someone in private sector work, all you public servants need to get a grip.

What im angry at is the fact that this divide has been allowed to happen and we now not only have warring sides with gov/public sector but now the public/private. The pensions debaucle should of been solved a long time ago but as with all governments in this country they either procrastinate or do a job only good enuff to last until the end of there run in power.

Shooting people got the most uproar.. coming in at last position...

Clarkson claimed that trains should not stop for people who have committed suicide by throwing themselves onto the tracks.

"'I do sometimes use the train to come to London but it always stops in Reading. It's always because somebody has jumped in front of it and somebody has burst," he said.

"You just think, why have we stopped because we've hit somebody? What's the point of stopping? It won't make them better."

I can see where hes coming from, that is if someone is selfish enough to commit suicide infront of a train, that the train shouldn't stop as the person committing suicide shouldn't be allowed to fook up everyones day :/

Good grief. The British do-gooder brigade out in farce again.

When will the learn almost anything this man says is tongue in cheek? Did they really think he was being serious in wanting them all shot?

I'm pretty sure Clarkson says these things now just to further his character. He knows he can pretty much say anything sarcastically and people will complain about and demand an apology. And more often than not, he's right.

Why do people even kick up a a fuss with him / top gear ?

Thats just him, he is all foot in mouth which is why people like him. He doesn't actually mean he would execute them, its just his way of getting his point across, which I totally understand because I use crazy examples for things that sound mad to other people but make perfect sense to me.

Anyone who reacts to this is thoroughly ridiculous.

It's his character, a ridiculously right-wing, self-centered persona. It's well known. If you don't know who he is, then you've not been in the UK for the last 20 years.

In his shoes, I'd be tempted to take a stand and say "It's a joke, it's my persona that sells DVDs and makes the BBC a fortune. If you cannot understand that, then that's your problem. I will NOT be apologising".

But his BBC contract will probably not allow that, as the corporation is afraid to say boo to a goose!

People miss his point at the end about his actual thoughts on the strikes and that public workers have a "guilded edge" pension etc etc. Love how main points can get missed by the PC brigade.

Exactly. It's like trying to be politically correct has turned into "how can I not allow my words to be twisted?"... It's become completely ridiculous.

I think the last time the BBC told him to apologise to someone he said sorry and then spent the next five minutes insulting them :D

He did indeed, and I was PMSL laughing whilst he did.

Clarkson's one of the few folks on TV I enjoy watching. He's smart, he doesn't mince his words, and he's terminally sarcastic to everyone. Good one Jezza!

As for the strikers, sack every bloody one of them! See how they manage in the private sector for once!

I've never agreed with striking. It just seems like a whiny-ass way of trying to get what you want while causing annoyance to people who have nothing to do with your current situation.

Oh dear, Unison are looking at legal advice and Clarksons comments have been referred to the police and he could be under a police investigation according to various sites around the internet.

Talk about blowing it out of all proportion.

Oh dear, Unison are looking at legal advice and Clarksons comments have been referred to the police and he could be under a police investigation according to various sites around the internet.

Talk about blowing it out of all proportion.

It really is stuff like this that make me glad I left the rotting country behind. Absolute joke and a miserable, crashing, decaying self absorbed little stain on the face of the planet it has become. Sadly I have to go back for a week soon :(