Dead man on bus for over 6 hours

Nearly a year old but:

A dead bus passenger was driven around London after staff failed to the spot his body, an inquest heard.

Pawel Modzelewski, 25, died on the night bus, but stayed in the garage overnight and was still in his seat when the bus went out the following morning.

Early morning commuters joined the double decker, unaware Mr Modzelewski was in fact dead.

He was on the bus for another six hours before another passenger raised the alarm.

Mr Modzelewski got on the no 36 bus at around 12.29am at Harrow Road, Queens Park, west London on January 19 this year.

The buses's CCTV footage showed him slumping forward in his seat 12 minutes later.

But none of the other passengers spotted him and he was found by the driver at 1.30am, who then went home for the night.

Paul Bailey, accident prevention manager for London Central Bus Company, told the hearing the driver thought Mr Modzelewski was asleep and tried to rouse him at New Cross Gate bus garage.

"But there was no response. He drove the bus into the garage to be refuelled and cleaned by contractors." Mr Bailey said.

'He forgot to tell anyone about the man.

The cleaners didn't clean the bus and on finishing his duty, the driver went home."

Mr Bailey said engineers intended to check the bus before it was used again - to the 171 route - but neglected to check upstairs.

In a statement Morlaye Keppy-Camara said he flagged down a double-decker at 7am the following morning in Brockley.

"I got on the no.171 bus and went upstairs. I walked towards the back of the bus. As I did so I passed a white male.

He was slumped forwards in his seat and not moving."

Mr Keppy-Camara said he went to the back of the bus but became more and more concerned.

"I decided to go and see if I could rouse him."

It was then he noticed vomit on Mr Modzelewski's clothes and spoke to the driver.

Police arrived at 7.11am and discovered an empty syringe in Mr Modzelewski's right hand and a small wrap of what appeared to be heroin.

A post mortem revealed the Polish man had had overdosed on the drug.

Source

i know no we have one less heroine addict in the world :/ truly a bad day

You can't mean that! That's a horrible thing to say. No one deserves to die!

How did him being a heroine addict affected your's, or anyone else's quality of life?

• Like 1

You don't know anything about him.

What if he had a cardiac arrest or something like that?

You can't mean that! That's a horrible thing to say. No one deserves to die!

How did him being a heroine addict affected your's, or anyone else's quality of life?

I'm not saying he was(but if he wasn't yet, he would have at some point), but heroine addicts often resort to crime to support their habit.

And I doubt he could have been saved if they found him sooner, sure, maybe if they noticed right away

Did he deserve to die? I didn't know the guy, but probably not, though he made choices in his life that led to this.

You don't know anything about him.

What if he had a cardiac arrest or something like that?

A post mortem revealed the Polish man had had overdosed on the drug.

read the post? I have no sympathy not even an ounce.

And yes FMH I do mean it, its a fact they spread aids, its a fact they are the most likly of all drug users to steal its there own stupidity, this is evolution im not saying all druggys should die... but its his own fault

So because he has a substance abuse problem he deserves to die?

You know nothing of his life outside of this article and assuming the worst in people just goes to show how little you have in your own life.

Small minded ****!

And yes FMH I do mean it, its a fact they spread aids, its a fact they are the most likly of all drug users to steal its there own stupidity, this is evolution im not saying all druggys should die... but its his own fault

It's a fact that heroine addict spread AIDS. As oppose to normal human-beings who... do not?

And stealing, as something dissimilar to a poor man... stealing food? Or a teenager shop-lifting?

Drug-addict or not, these problems exist in humans. But lets have no sympathy for the drug-addicts only.

That's some assumption!

Not really, if he didn't get help, even if he had a job, heroine addicts become very noticable at work, his work performance would suffer a lot, co-workers will start to notice

Eventually they'll find out and likely fire him, where will he get the money to support this expensive habit then? get another job looking like an addict in withdrawls?

He'll either need to stop, clean up and move on with his life, or start stealing, and stealing is much easier, that is the route taken most of the time.

It's a fact that heroine addict spread AIDS. As oppose to normal human-beings who... do not?

And stealing, as something dissimilar to a poor man... stealing food? Or a teenager shop-lifting?

Drug-addict or not, these problems exist in humans. But lets have no sympathy for the drug-addicts only.

your comparing a poor hungry man to a drug addict? wow thats just.... wow yea i love your logic

So because he has a substance abuse problem he deserves to die?

You know nothing of his life outside of this article and assuming the worst in people just goes to show how little you have in your own life.

Small minded ****!

doesnt deserve to die... but who says it also means he deserves to live? I actually have alot in my life, women, money, family a large social life... and your right i dont know anything about his life he could of been trying to cope with something using drugs ... but he let it get out of hand and he died... if he ODed on purpose then see ya later was his choice... if he didnt then opps i guess you cant make the same mistake twice... in all honesty its not my problem and i dont care that he is dead why should i ?

and also ew, they didnt even clean the bus.... thats nasty

Not really, if he didn't get help, even if he had a job, heroine addicts become very noticable at work, his work performance would suffer a lot, co-workers will start to notice

Eventually they'll find out and likely fire him, where will he get the money to support this expensive habit then? get another job looking like an addict in withdrawls?

He'll either need to stop, clean up and move on with his life, or start stealing, and stealing is much easier, that is the route taken most of the time.

you seem to be able to put it a much more sympathetic way then i can

I'll be honest, and it seems bad thinking about it, but that was my first thought reading the article.

was my second thought... first i thought homless man on bus? then i thought ewww they didnt even clean it... see no cleaning leaves dead people on busses and around xmas this will be a big issue.