Ubuntu 12.04 thread -- Beta 2 released!

Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 has just been released, and since there will probably be plenty smaller updates between different stages of development (alphas, betas, release) I thought about making a single thread to follow the development process.

Speaking of Alpha 1:

Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 has been released. There are not many visible changes in this release. However, lots of packages have been updated to their latest versions.

A look at changes and new features in Alpha 1:

Firefox 9 Beta and Thunderbird 9 Beta

Linux Kernel 3.2

Multiple Screenshots and Embedded video support for detailed apps view in Ubuntu Software Center. Support for viewing prices and purchasing an application from list itself has also been added.

Banshee, Gbrainy and Tomboy have been removed. Rhythmbox is now default music player.

Ubuntu+Software+Center+in+Ubuntu+12.04.png

Download

Source: Ubuntu Vibes

Is Gnome Shell included this time?

Gnome Shell will not be included by default, you can install it from the Software Center easily. Unity is the default UI for Ubuntu.

Have they fixed the UI yet?

I upgraded to 11.10 yesterday and I was shocked at the new UI I was presented with. Looks like it was made for children.

It will be refined, but it's going to stay retard tablet focused.

Man Ubuntu it getting better and better

Not sure if troll or not :) But yeah, I'm perfectly happy with 11.10. I didn't enjoy Unity that much, luckily there's other DEs to choose from. Very stable in my experience.

I've grown disenchanted with both Gnome and KDE but Ubuntu is the best base out there and there are other desktop environments to use. I like both LXDE and Xfce these days. I expect 12.04 to be very stable, being a LTS.

I've done my fair share of tinkering with Linux for a long time. While a fun hobby, I don't see the practicality of it. Windows is getting better and better and Linux is pretty much only open sourced software. Do most of you who still use it dual boot or use a VM?

New overlay scrollbars landed

Ayatana%20Overlay%20Scrollbars%200.2.13%2023.png

• the thumb gained Ubuntu-specific pointed texture, making it look slicker and more professional then its previous implementations
  • the proximity area is now "touchable" on the whole page (this feature was presented weeks ago when the first Precise version was presented)
  • new thumb positioning related to mouse pointer and bar location
  • new fine-scroll mode (while hold & drag the thumb press Ctrl to enter fine-scroll mode, which is a limited page fine scroll, so the scrolling is done on a part of the navigated window)
  • press Ctrl when on page/page down to obtain step up/step down, useful for slow and careful scrolling
  • jumping of the thumb is triggered now via middle-click or Shift+left-click
  • animations tweaks
  • performance improvements and various bug fixes

I just installed the updates, and I can say that this makes the overlay scrollbars finally on par with the regular ones, if not even better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unity 5.0 released

-Dash button got quicklists for jumping to lenses

-You can add a Show Desktop icon to launcher

-You can manually change the launcher and dash overview color

-The global menu is now displayed for a few seconds in the top panel before fading to title (the time can be edited in CCSM)

-General performance and stability improvements

Other changes:

Kubuntu and Edubuntu got a 5 year LTS status, Xubuntu got a 3 year one

Yes, with the help of this Ubuntu 12.04, there is possibility to perform dual booting on our windows or any other OS based laptop.. I do this task with the help of below link. Its provides me more information about it............

http://forums.techar...ems/1437457.htm

I think probably your best bet may be to do the following -- Restore your Windows Boot Record Using http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Then try using the Wubi install instead... That way it will not overwrite the Windows boot record. Just a suggestion.. That is how mine is setup and the compressed drive slows down the boot time maybe 12 seconds.... Just a suggestion...

The overlay scroll bars, what is the advantage of this. On Windows scroll bars you can jump to any position by click on the empty part of a scroll bar, but with this overlay thing that is impossible. Also why use unified menu and window buttons on the left? Why did Ubuntu go and hire mac lovers? I have so many questions that just leave me totally lost with what used to be my main OS. Im in Windows 7 and love it to death. Its so fricken stable and dosent ask me for a password every time i want to do anything.

The overlay scroll bars, what is the advantage of this. On Windows scroll bars you can jump to any position by click on the empty part of a scroll bar, but with this overlay thing that is impossible.

The "advantage" is that is uses less space, other than that it's purely cosmetic. You're wrong about the second thing, it's possible and easy - you just put your mouse to whereever you want to instantly scroll (just like the old way with the empty area), the thumb will appear and you middle click it.

The menu bar fades into the background...for the sake of minimalism? This is an UX disaster.

Also...the "unlock" rename is important enough to be mentioned in a one-minute Unity presentation video? Wow.

The Ubuntu design team think they need to depart from traditional ways of doing things such as scrollbars ; that's not a bad thing, and others are doing it too. But these kind of changes make me wonder whether they actually test anything on real-world users, or just think "this is super-intuitive in my mind, so other people must find it awesome too".