Ubuntu 12.04 thread -- Beta 2 released!

Unity 5.2 released bringing in some changes

Multi-monitor support

a launcher with screen edge detection is now displayed on every monitor, so you don't have to travel to another display to launch or switch applications

Push to reveal launcher

the launcher uses a new "push to reveal" mode to avoid revealing the Launcher by accident

Dash has a new home lens

displays recent files and applications, replacing giant shortcuts to files, applications and so on

New shortcut hints overlay

New defaults for Alt+Tab

New batch of updates, some neat stuff added:

The Appearance entry in the System settings has been renamed for like the fifth time, but more importantly, got more Unity specific options (launcer reveal sensitivity the important new one)

screen-shot-2012-02-07-at-17.33.40.jpg

screen-shot-2012-02-07-at-17.27.27.jpg

Privacy settings (for dash and recent activity): ban recording activity for specific folders, file types, or applications and more.

screen-shot-2012-02-07-at-17.27.541.jpg

screen-shot-2012-02-07-at-17.28.041.jpg

Ubuntu One plugin for Rhythmbox is again functional

Nautilus got Undo support

Btw, has anyone been testing this? It's in alpha and it's more stable than some release candidates they've pushed out. Looking to be a great release, regardless if you like Unity or not.

I used it in VirtualBox and tested on netbook, worked great. Waiting for the first beta to put it on the main PC. General impressions are that it's the most stable Ubuntu in a while, I'd say I haven't been this pleased since 9.04.

This is what I'm referring to. This here is a screenshot of Kubuntu. Look at the launch bar. That is where Ubuntu 11.10's launch bar should be at, not planted on the left side of the screen permanently like it is right now.

Ubuntu needs to give the user the option to either hide it or remove it permanently or let the user move it where they see fit. Forcing that side bar on the left side like that and making the user see it there all the time without being able to move it anywhere or customize it is disrespectful.

2dj44sy.jpg

Just use the Unity Rotated plugin...

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/install-ubuntu-unity-bottom-launcher.html

I don't know if this was posted already but.

You have listed Firefox 9 beta in this 12.04 Ubuntu version, but I am running 11.10 and have Firefox 10.02. Is that a mistake?

Just updated my HTPC and my main box to Precise and i must say it is pretty solid so far. I was going to wait for B1 but i decided over the weekend that tinkering with it now was a better idea.

Btw thanks for those links to iloveubuntu.net Syanide.

I don't know if this was posted already but.

You have listed Firefox 9 beta in this 12.04 Ubuntu version, but I am running 11.10 and have Firefox 10.02. Is that a mistake?

12.04 should have the latest firefox, which is 10.

Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" Beta 1 has been released!

There are too many changes to list, and a lot have already been mentioned, but you can check out everything here.

Video:

Download

Using Ubuntu 12.04 right now, and I got to say: What a vast improvement over previous versions. The new HUD Menus are a dream to work with; everything is right there!. The fact that you can play around with a couple of Unity's options makes Unity better to work with.

It still needs a few creases ironing out ( I'm using AMD 64 version ), but all-in-all damn good. Best Beta I've ever used. The finished article should be something else I tell ya,

I tried it out today. So far its pretty good for a beta. I'm impressed with the performance increases. Unity is much faster, and searching the dash is finally not laggy.

• 3 weeks later...

I just loaded up the beta in VirtualBox and I have to say, I have NEVER used an Ubuntu beta this stable before, I am very impressed

and the fact that you can now choose from all 3 looks (Unity, Gnome Shell, Classic look) is amazing

Unity 5.8 released for both Unity 3D and Unity 2D

The most important change? Multi monitor support landed. You can now decide if you want the launcher on only the primary display, all displays, you can enable "sticky edge" to make accessing the launcher while traveling from one display to another easier. Also, bunch of minor visual fixes.

unity%205.8%20noyhing%20multimonitor.png

unity%205.8%20777.png

Unity 5.8 released for both Unity 3D and Unity 2D

<snip>

I'm nearly jizzing in my pants. I can't wait to test this multi-monitor support.

Does this mean I may be able to setup multi-monitors during a session instead of using xorg.conf to stop Unity crashing?

Roll on 12.04 - only 32 days remaining :D

And on something a little unrelated, I was getting a wee bit excited when I read this week that CS:GO has a linux32 folder included - so double woo's for Linux.

Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 has just been released, and since there will probably be plenty smaller updates between different stages of development (alphas, betas, release) I thought about making a single thread to follow the development process.

Speaking of Alpha 1:

Download

Source: Ubuntu Vibes

Lol, why do they even keep using Firefox? Chrome is the champ in speed, and extensions, and every area imaginable. Sorry, but Firefox is dead.