Row over Pakistan actress Veena Malik nude 'ISI' photo

Row over Pakistan actress Veena Malik nude 'ISI' photo

A row has erupted over an image of Pakistani actress Veena Malik sporting the initials ISI on her arm, with FHM India insisting it is not fake.

It has caused a sensation in Pakistan for both the nudity and the initials of Pakistan's controversial Inter-Services Intelligence spy agency.

Pakistani media have quoted a spokesman for Ms Malik as saying she never took part in such a photoshoot.

But FHM India's editor told the BBC that nothing had been doctored.

"We have video footage of the shoot as well as emails from Veena about how she's looking forward to the cover," Kabeer Sharma told the BBC's Nosheen Abbas in Islamabad.

"The idea to have ISI written on her arm was mine, and it was Veena's idea to have it in block letters," he added.

He said that the image was intended to be playful, saying that: "In India we joke about this... if anything goes wrong... we say the ISI must be behind this."

The ISI has been in the headlines in recent months after senior US officials accused it of supporting militants based in Pakistan's tribal areas who target Western troops in Afghanistan.

In September the most senior US military officer Adm Mike Mullen said that the Haqqani militant network "acts as a veritable arm of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence Agency".

Pakistan has vehemently denied such allegations.

Pakistan outrage

Correspondents say that the image, which is the cover of the December issue of the Indian edition of the global men's magazine, has caused a storm in Pakistan with many people expressing outrage over the nudity and the boldness of the photo.

The Express Tribune newspaper in Pakistan said a representative of Ms Malik had denied she posed for the shoot.

"Veena knows her limits. I know we have done quite bold stuff/shoots, those which are available on our website, but she knows her parameters," Sohail Rashid is quoted as saying.

FHM's editor said he had never heard of the representative and added that Ms Malik had not got in touch to ask him to modify or remove the image.

The actress has been at the centre of controversy before.

She caused outrage among conservative circles in Pakistan for appearing on the Indian reality show Bigg Boss in 2010. She hit the headlines again in March this year by challenging the views of a Pakistani cleric on television.

Source (with the photo in question): BBC News

actually.. You wouldnt know.

Alot of such stuff happens here. Mostly under cover.

Many models do such shoots. But never for magazines ofcourse. And our society is not conservative. I am a graphics designer on the side i sometimes do little photo editing. And few shoots i had to edit were not conservative. (not nude ofcourse). But you wouldnt call them conservative. Our media is in a domain of its own.

She may be looking for global attention. To do something like this in such a conservative society?

i think she lives in Mumbai now, She's got a bunch of Fatwa;s on her in Pakistan

i think she lives in Mumbai now, She's got a bunch of Fatwa;s on her in Pakistan

i wrote a good big reply it didnt post :s and i got an error..argg!

anyhow

what i wanted to say was

good for her she went to India. I kind of understand why should would deny such a shoot (if its legit) due to safety concern.

I wish my country was not an Islamic State. There are too many different cultures here. And many Muslims here (are very liberal). It doesnt work like this.

Let people live how they wish to live.

I dont understand. We watch dances and those too nude ones.. @ private parties.. And on the face we deny such entertainment on grounds that it is unislamic.. ??? WHAT?

I agreed with her when she said she isnt the only model who does sleezy shoots but its just that others arent that popular and not an easy target for the media. And thats how it is. Majority women here do such shoots. There have been very western fashion shows here. And i dont understand. You allow that. but you put FATWA on a single model? just because you think she was representing Pakistan in that show she participated in India? I am getting tired of this. People here are such hypocrits!

i wrote a good big reply it didnt post :s and i got an error..argg!

anyhow

what i wanted to say was

good for her she went to India. I kind of understand why should would deny such a shoot (if its legit) due to safety concern.

I wish my country was not an Islamic State. There are too many different cultures here. And many Muslims here (are very liberal). It doesnt work like this.

Let people live how they wish to live.

I dont understand. We watch dances and those too nude ones.. @ private parties.. And on the face we deny such entertainment on grounds that it is unislamic.. ??? WHAT?

I agreed with her when she said she isnt the only model who does sleezy shoots but its just that others arent that popular and not an easy target for the media. And thats how it is. Majority women here do such shoots. There have been very western fashion shows here. And i dont understand. You allow that. but you put FATWA on a single model? just because you think she was representing Pakistan in that show she participated in India? I am getting tired of this. People here are such hypocrits!

I must say, that's a very nice contrast to Muhammad Farrukh.

And Punjabis got blamed for exploiting Muslim traditions. :laugh:

I agree with zain, Nobody follows a religion properly, all of em do stuff everyday which is a sin according to Islam.

I must say, that's a very nice contrast to Muhammad Farrukh.

Because zain looks at both sides of subject, not just blindly believe what he wants to believe.

oh and we have some very pretty models

I am only posting this here to show .. that this happened in Karachi Pakistan. All the models here are muslims. This also showed on our News Channels. And to be honest. I dont mind this at all. But what i dont like is when news channels show this. And we have small kids here. There were some very ... weird clothes. I dont know if this video has them all. But all the models here are very popular ones. Very respected in the modelling industry of our country. But why no FATWA against them? against the designers making such clothes?

Either do that. Or declare our country a liberal one. I hate double standards.

Isn't there bigger issues to worry about in Pakistan? Like the energy crisis?

You clearly don't understand the gravity of the situation. A grown woman, making a statement in such a bold, vulgar, obscene way?? Surely you musn't understand how important this is to Pakistan. Nigh. Humanity.

You clearly don't understand the gravity of the situation. A grown woman, making a statement in such a bold, vulgar, obscene way?? Surely you musn't understand how important this is to Pakistan. Nigh. Humanity.

I dont quite agree.

There was an actress previously. Meera. I dont know her full name. She featured in an indian movie. And had romantic love making scenes in the film. Now we need to first decide if we are against such obscene vulgar statements. Then which one is a bigger bad? A bold scene with a male talent? Or standing naked alone covering the private parts?

I think according to my knowledge of Islam. One deserves a punishment. And about this i really dont know. I dont know whats the punishment for nude photography in Islam.

I dont quite agree.

There was an actress previously. Meera. I dont know her full name. She featured in an indian movie. And had romantic love making scenes in the film. Now we need to first decide if we are against such obscene vulgar statements. Then which one is a bigger bad? A bold scene with a male talent? Or standing naked alone covering the private parts?

I think according to my knowledge of Islam. One deserves a punishment. And about this i really dont know. I dont know whats the punishment for nude photography in Islam.

Either one should be perfectly acceptable if we are to have equal respect for the sexes. By saying a woman would deserve punishment for either, whichever Islam dictates, is implying a disrespect for women.

By what you're saying, respect for women and Islam are mutually exclusive.

Either one should be perfectly acceptable if we are to have equal respect for the sexes. By saying a woman would deserve punishment for either, whichever Islam dictates, is implying a disrespect for women.

By what you're saying, respect for women and Islam are mutually exclusive.

What i said meant that either follow the Islamic Law and run this nation on that. Or on human rights and a universal kind of law. Simple.

There is no middleground. It will always lead to unfair decisions such as the FATWAs agaisnt this women and not others (almost doing the same thing). One thing. I dont understand whats so wrong to do something abroad which u do in the Home country and arent ashamed to do it here. Why lie to the outside world and show a different image to them? And if done. Why is it wrong? So im with her in this. Till others are punished. Or none are!.

What i said meant that either follow the Islamic Law and run this nation on that. Or on human rights and a universal kind of law. Simple.

There is no middleground. It will always lead to unfair decisions such as the FATWAs agaisnt this women and not others (almost doing the same thing). One thing. I dont understand whats so wrong to do something abroad which u do in the Home country and arent ashamed to do it here. Why lie to the outside world and show a different image to them? And if done. Why is it wrong? So im with her in this. Till others are punished. Or none are!.

It seems you are saying Pakistan should not be hypocritical. Okay... That's not what I'm arguing against... In fact I wasn't arguing anything... My first comment was sarcasm in it's purest form. But my arguement would be that no country should follow such "laws" that disrespect women.

You are still not disputing that Islam and respect for women are mutually exclusive which is my point at it's apex.

You are practically agreeing to it:

Till others are punished. Or none are!.

In other words:

Till Islamic law is followed. Or women are treated equally.