Markus "Notch" Person steps down as lead Minecraft developer

Markus "Notch" Person steps down as lead Minecraft developer

Markus "Notch" Persson has stepped down as the lead developer on Minecraft, according to a post on his Tumblr. Though he will still be involved in the game, Jens Bergensten, a developer for the game, will move into the role of lead developer as Persson goes to work on a "new project" with his development studio Mojang.

Persson notes that he and Bergensten have been working on Minecraft together for over a year. Minecraft 1.0 was finally released two weeks ago on November 18 during MineCon, creating a juncture that has apparently allowed Persson to feel comfortable scaling back his role with the game.

Persson will still be a developer for Minecraft, though he notes that he will "now rest for a while" following the leadership transition to Berngensten. When he returns, he will be starting work on a new project, the details of which he does not disclose.

Minecraft has a player base about four million strong, and they've been doing bigger things than ever with the game, including recreations from pop culture touchstones like Legend of Zelda, Star Wars, and Super Mario. May Bergensten enjoy a long and healthy reign.

Source: Ars Technica

Link: Post on Notch's Tumblr

About time. Minecraft has been at a point for a while now that its development plan has been laid out and is extremely straight forward and doesn't need that much guidance anymore. Get Notch working on the next big thing.

I read this either this morning or last night I do not remember which, Jeb always seams to have better ideas for how things should be done anyway lol.

hopefully he will lead development on the android version, paid 7 bucks for it, been 2 months with no updates. No crafting, no mining, no creatures, no survival. Just the ability to place pre-set blocks and destroy blocks.

The Android Version just got updated today i believe. Notch has probly moved over to the Scrolls team now.

Was a minor update yea, nothing actually game changing. There is now more sounds, better tablet support, and ios fixes.