Is my cpu running too hot?

I'd get new termal paste (Arctic Silver 5 is very good) and report back ones thats on. also follow the instructions for application...different CPU's will have different ways of most effectively applying the paste...thankfully Arctic Silver have a guide

http://www.arcticsil...om/methods.html

but basic rules are not too much, a lot of people think the more paste the better...wrong, you needs a very thin layer that just covers the CPU.

Edit: as nerd rage said update your BIOS as well.

:dizzy: ok, will do.

Whoo nice that you're making progress! :D Also try to enable Cool&Quiet and C1E to see if it helps further unless this ASUS board has it's own functions for that, it sure looks fancy xD

Cool'n'quiet should probably be on.

Regarding getting a new heatsink - you already have an aftermarket heatsink on there, I don't see how getting a different one is going to help with your problem because I don't think that it is the cause.

wow I've never seen a BIOS screen that nice. All the bios I worked on has been white text on blue.

Glad you are making great progress :)

Yeah its UEFI, my mobo has it but I've never dared to switch it on cause I have no idea if it will just work or if re-configuration is needed. might have to look into it properly over the holidays.

I'm quite eager to know how this turned out. @ Viper I believe he has attempted to reseat it with new thermal paste before.

I had a similar issue and reseating with new (Artic Cooling) thermal paste made about a ? of difference. I just had a bum processor.

The bad thing is, AMDs policy on returning stuff is rubbish - you have to send it off and then wait up to 6 weeks while they test is and then they decide if they will send you a replacement.

1) If the one I had was faulty, why would I want to replace it with exactly the same model that could also be faulty?

2) What am I going to do for 6 weeks without a processor? You pretty much have to buy another one (unless you have on lying around) anyway.

I wouldn't be convinced that it's a bad sensor. Do you have another CPU laying around somewhere? Your cooling should definitely be enough though.

Fwiw, I had two case fans and an aftermarket heat sink on mine when it killed itself. You said that it had turned itself off a couple of times due to overheating, despite your extra cooling measures - so I would say something is going wrong with the CPU somewhere.

It might be worth giving AMD a call and see if they have any suggestions. They've actually been quite helpful in the past with my issue.

Just to give you an idea - my i5 2400 reaches 60? at most under load and that processor has a higher max operating temperature than yours.

I'm running the same processor on a stock cooler. Temps average at around 67-70?C... is that safe/normal? (hate to hijack this thread... but at the same time I see no point in creating a new thread just to ask the same question being asked in this one)

I've heard that Intel's stock coolers are not as good... but a near 10? difference?!

Well I have a decent case and two case fans - so that might make a difference. Still, I would be worried if it's reaching near 70? under load. What I have noticed with my processor (it also has the stock cooler) is that the fan gets so clogged up with dust and it's quite hard to shift it.

It might be worth taking a cotton bud to it and digging out some of the dust, that dropped temperatures quite a lot for me (about 5? under load).

Also try and make sure that airflow around the processor is good.

I had the issue with mine running high like yours is - I got a new case, cleaned the processor fan and cleaned the original case fan and then installed that later.

Just the case and cleaning the processor fan made a huge difference though - it was nowhere near danger levels after I'd done that. The second system fan made it run even cooler (it's 35? idle now in a room that is normally on the warm side of room temperature) which is really good.

The second fan was installed more for one of my hard drives which seems to get hotter than it should rather than anything else.

strange, TUF boards are supposed to be cooler. i suspect this is indeed a thermal paste issue, because right now it looks like the CPU is in the 40's, which is fine, the "core" is in the low 50's, which is also OK. SpeedFan is quite accurate for temps, but it tends to scare people with that flame for anything over 50 degrees...

ive never used speedfan, but why are the fan's reading 50% and 5%?

there's a lot of variables that need to be ruled out right now - BIOS update should be 1st. then correctly applying AS5 and reseating the heatsink correctly as well. it's way too easy to mess that up.

make sure your case is getting proper airflow w/ enough cool air coming in as going out. you dont want to create a vortex inside the case. also, i'd mount the heatsink front to back instead of top to bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so SORRY everyone, I didn't mean to left this thread forgotten, I want to provide closure in case anyone in the future comes here with similar problems looking for a solution..

In my case the problem was in the end. the cooler was faulty, I installed a new one, and the temp dropped instantly to 35?, everything is running perfect with the machine since.

Thank you so much to everyone who looked here and helped with ideas, I learned many new things (including the fact that I didn't know how to properly apply thermal paste :D), I hope things said here can be of any help to someone else some day :D, thanks again.