Home burns while firefighters watch, again

Actually, it can work that way, if people would try and do. Instead, when they have the horrible, self centered, apathetic views and actions as what is being represented in these forums, it surely will not.

What about charities? Should they stop offering free services to others?

Here is a saying everyone needs to ****ing learn. Everyone knows the first part, they tend to ignore the 2nd.... "The world is not fair. But we as humans have the power to change the world."

We can make things work, if people try. But if you are hell bent on watching it burn, well then, that is what will happen.

So yes, try and make excuses on why to not be a decent, compassionate, helpful human. And instead, bicker about petty money. Pathetic, all of you.

So all you can do is yelling "decent" and "compassionate" without really making a point?

One more in the list.

Actually, it can work that way, if people would try and do. Instead, when they have the horrible, self centered, apathetic views and actions as what is being represented in these forums, it surely will not.

Here is a saying everyone needs to ****ing learn. Everyone knows the first part, they tend to ignore the 2nd.... "The world is not fair. But we as humans have the power to change the world."

We can make things work, if people try. But if you are hell bent on watching it burn, well then, that is what will happen.

So yes, try and make excuses on why to not be a decent, compassionate, helpful human. And instead, bicker about petty money. Pathetic, all of you.

Charities don't offer free services....they are FUNDED by donations......people are indeed paying for them.

Why yes, yes they should. And I should get free college, and a free house if I can't afford one (it's a basic need right?), and someone to buy me a new coat when I am cold, and someone should make long term investments for me using their own money so my future is secure......all of this I am entitled to....didn't you know? /s

If you are entitled to a free house, so am I even though I can afford one. We are all equal and deserve the same basic rights! /s

Not everyone wouldn't pay. But again, you just fail at human compassion and decency.

First, You make up the dumbest possible analogies ever. It isn't McDonalds responsibility to feed you. They are a business that sells a luxury. Fire Fighters though, are there to fight fires that happen within the city.

So what happens if the fire is outside of the city where there are no fire fighters?

And although Firefighting isn't a business; it takes money to pay for the fire fighters' wages; the equipment they use; the fuel; their shelter. It all costs money.

So using your logic; fire deparments should tell the diesel distributor not to charge them for the fuel used by their fire trucks because fire fighters arent a business! What about that new fire truck? Well; just tell the company that builds them that they should do it for free because it's the decent thing to do!!!

Charities don't offer free services....they are FUNDED by donations......people are indeed paying for them.

Umm no, people don't have to pay for a charity to help them. But decent, compassionate humans who donate to those charities make them possible. Just as those who donate to churchs, give the churchs power to help those in need. But if we all lived by your horrible view, no one would ever be helped unless they paid for it. ****ing sick , selfish minded people are showing up more and more on these forums.

Charities are funded, like Nerd Rage just beat me to say. You dont have an argument.

So what happens if the fire is outside of the city where there are no fire fighters?

And although Firefighting isn't a business; it takes money to pay for the fire fighters' wages; the equipment they use; the fuel; their shelter. It all costs money.

So using your logic; fire deparments should tell the diesel distributor not to charge them for the fuel used by their fire trucks because fire fighters arent a business! What about that new fire truck? Well; just tell the company that builds them that they should do it for free because it's the decent thing to do!!!

let's see, if a fire happens outside of a city, but people with the right tools and ability can do something, they should try. Is that hard to understand?

Charities are funded, like Nerd Rage just beat me to say. You dont have an argument.

They are funded by the good hearts who donate to them.

People would still donate to fire fighters. But you guys seem to think that if 1 doesn't, all will follow... That's like saying, if 1 person in a family murders, they all will! People don't work that way. Many will still donate, because they understand how such a service works and needs funds. But we shouldn't still let those who can't/don't , suffer just because of petty monetary values. That is just selfish and devoid of anything that would make a great society, unless you want a society set upon watching others burn.

Umm no, people don't have to pay for a charity to help them.

Just as those who donate to churchs, give the churchs power to help those in need.

You lost me right there buddy.

I see you are trying to back paddle?

let's see, if a fire happens outside of a city, but people with the right tools and ability can do something, they should try. Is that hard to understand?

Exactly! He gets it! Things are cost money, ie: are FUNDED, to operate! So if Fire Fighters aren't funded, they let houses burn to the ground because they aren't going to pay out of their own pockets to put out the fire.

Im not arguing against the good nature of humanity, I'm arguing that these people (firefighters) already risk their lives on a daily basis (Something that none of us do, ergo, dont understand). And you still want them to help people who dont support them.

Exactly! He gets it! Things are cost money, ie: are FUNDED, to operate! So if Fire Fighters aren't funded, they let houses burn to the ground because they aren't going to pay out of their own pockets to put out the fire.

Since when was the fire department not funded? Hell, they always hold fund raiser events, that ask for the communities to help fund them, just like charities. So I doubt they wouldn't be able to operate. Also, plenty of businesses can come together to help each other out, especially when it is to service such a public interest as in Fire Fighting. But you guys are way too simple minded to understand such cooperation and things. Just again, make this about petty money, as you have all shown what type of people you are.

They should at least give them the option to pay on the spot :/

This needs to be illegal. If they didn't pay the fee, then CHARGE them *afterwards*. Charge them double. Charge them triple. Place a lien on the home. Have them serve time behind bars for a week. ANYTHING other than letting their home and possible hundreds of thousands of dollars go up in flames.

EXACTLY. This "letting it burn to prove a point" sh|t is damn ridiculous.

Im not arguing against the good nature of humanity, I'm arguing that these people (firefighters) already risk their lives on a daily basis (Something that none of us do, ergo, dont understand). And you still want them to help people who dont support them.

Yes, as I'm sure you would want the same help if you were in the same situation.

Would we be OK with a hospital not giving aid to a person, because that person lost their wallet and was not able to be identified or verified to have insurance? Or would we expect the emergency room to still try and save the human, because it is the right thing to do?

Some things are beyond petty monetary arguments. The safety and well being of a persons livelihood is one of them. We shouldn't sit idly by and watch as people become homeless, not when we can help them, and not over some ****ing $75 bucks. But in all of your opinions, let the ****ers burn, even if it is just over $20 bucks!

Because it is the right thing to do. It's called human compassion. Really? Is it that hard of a concept?

I'm not a trained medic, but if someone is hit by a car, and I don't try to help them, I can be found guilty for not aiding them... So the same should apply to those who are firefighters.

If you are a fire fighter, you go into the business to protect people. It shouldn't be about money.

But hell, if you have this hard of a concept understanding human decency and compassion, this is already a lost cause try and reason with you guys.

So ****ing unbelievable... No one is going to abuse a the fire fighters system. People don't just set **** on fire for the hell of it, and if they do, that is a whole other issue for the police.

But no, lets just only help those who can afford the help, cause the is the right way to do anything... based off of class and wealth.... I seriously hope none of you guys are supposed "Christians", because if so, you are ignoring EVERYTHING that is basically what Jesus preached.....

Think about it like this. Fires are fairly rare. Many people would pay the $75 their whole life and NEVER use the service. An very lucky fellow might pay for it for the first time in june and suddenly need it in july. The OVERWHELMING number of people paying for the service and NEVER needing it year after year pays for the few unlucky people who were also paying and WERE IN NEED. When one unlucky ****** who had a fire and was allowed to pay the $75 for the service it sets a bad example and people who have been good and paying starts looking around and wondering "why should i pay for a service that they will give to me anyway and i'll only have to pay the $75? when it suddenly becomes an emergancy". Soon all of rural tennessee isn't paying for service that they are getting and the cities are going bankrupt. $75 doesn't even cover the cost of the gasoline the firetrucks would use getting out and back to these rural ares let alone the man power plus insurance and other benefits.

Here on long island we pay for fire out of our taxes. Does this happen in TN also? IF it does then i would sue the county , and local government.

IF that one fee is what the dept gets from the homeowners and not taxes then it serves the people right.

Since when was the fire department not funded? Hell, they always hold fund raiser events, that ask for the communities to help fund them, just like charities. So I doubt they wouldn't be able to operate. Also, plenty of businesses can come together to help each other out, especially when it is to service such a public interest as in Fire Fighting. But you guys are way too simple minded to understand such cooperation and things. Just again, make this about petty money, as you have all shown what type of people you are.

Apparently you didn't read the article. They are funded by a $75 fee per household in the community in this article. The people who had a house on fire didn't pay their $75 fee to FUND the Fire Dept.

And who would be paying for that? As much as you like to live in a world where we all do things because it's "the right thing to do; in the real world these things cost money and someone has to pay for that.

EXACTLY. This "letting it burn to prove a point" sh|t is ridiculous.

they aren't doing it to make a point. they are doing it because then EVERYONE would expect to pay just $75 when they happen to need the service instead of likelyl paying it for decades without ever needing it. It's bascially an insurance policy. You can't insure a valuable against damage AFTER it's been damaged.

Here on long island we pay for fire out of our taxes. Does this happen in TN also? IF it does then i would sue the county , and local government.

IF that one fee is what the dept gets from the homeowners and not taxes then it serves the people right.

I suggest you read the article.

Here on long island we pay for fire out of our taxes. Does this happen in TN also?

If there's no city/town in that area who, exactly, shall they pay taxes TO?

- shakes head -

People get so used to having things handed to them at the cost of others they start feeling entitled....

Yes, as I'm sure you would want the same help if you were in the same situation.

People who want help in those situations would have paid for the service. I, and I'm guessing sactified as well, would never let ourselves be in that situation as we would have paid the $75.

These are extremely sparsely rural areas with sometime a mile or more between homes. there is no tax base to be able to run these services. The nearest cities "Rents" out the services for small $75/year fee. These people were cocky and thought they were getting away with something by not paying and they needed up paying with their home.

Who cares who would be paying for it!

Who pays for all the firefighters to put out forest fires?

It shouldn't be about money.

As Seta said, Fires are a rare thing. So who cares if they didn't pay $75, it isn't something that would be abused.

Would you expect a off duty police officer to say he wants $30 bucks to stop you from being held up at knife point by a robber, if one had walked by while off duty and it was happening to you? No. There are things we expect from those in certain positions and walks of life, because they are able to HELP another. Off Duty doctors should charge someone choking before doing administering the hiemlich maneuver?

This is probably the second time in a year this exact same story came up, and my stance still remains. Charge them a steep fee if they have to for outing the fires. It's even more pathetic in this case the firefighters were ordered to be sitting ducks due to stupid political reasons.

Goes to show that money is indeed the root of all evil. Here it went both ways: homeowners refusing to pay for what should be an essential service ($75 per year, or your own lives?) and money already spent on moving the firetrucks but not doing anything.