Can I Run BF3?

Hey everyone, curious if I will be able to run Battlefield 3 adequately. I checked on canyourunit.com and it says I met the minimum but not the recommended.

Phenon II X4 940 @ 3.0GHz

8GB DDR2 RAM @ 1066

Average 640GB 7200RPM HD

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Native Resolution 1920x1200

I am assuming I will need to turn stuff down a fair bit to play at my resolution. I cannot stand playing at 30-40FPS. I may skip BF3 until I can afford to get another 6850 and do CrossFire, and go for MW3.

Yeah that will run Battlefield 3 probably with some settings on low and some on medium at your resolution.

Thanks. :) And if I do two 6850's in CrossFire, that should handle it pretty well, correct?

Yeah I'd say it would, but keep in mind the 1GB of memory. Although battlefield 3 may run at medium to high with crossfire some future games may need more than 1GB of memory at 1920x1200 when playing on maximum so it may do you better to simply purchase a single HD 6950. If however you only want to play Battlefield 3 on high then two HD 6850's should be fine.

I have a Q8200 OC'd to 2.8 GHz, a 5850 1GB, 4 GB DDR3 1600, and a plain old 7200 rpm HDD. I run on high/medium mixed with FXAA on and MSAA off @ 1920x1080. Framerate drops below 30 once on a blue moon, and never more than a few-second drop. Average framerate is in the 50's.

Don't listen to Vice, your setup will handle it nicely. Especially since your proc is quite a bit better than mine. There's no reason to spent hundreds of dollars to upgrade for a game that's already overpriced as it is.

BF3 is NOT Crysis. Its development was turned around midway through to the optimization and cooking direction for consoles. It runs very nicely on 2 year old systems, but as a result doesn't look really that amazing. It gets its "realism" from piling on lots of cheap effects like bloom, blur, and glare.

Keep in mind that the HD 6850 is slower than the HD 5850. So do listen to Vice :)

But you know what, just get the game and try it on your computer before you make any graphics card purchasing decisions.

Thanks, fellas. I am still not sure. I do not want to attempt BF3 unless I am absolutely sure I can run it at a decent framerate. I hear very bad things about MW3 on Amazon, etc. I wonder if these players are just over-dramatic, or if their concerns are legit on PC? Oh well. I shall decide tomorrow which game to get. I need FPS in my life, lol.

My 4890HD 1GB was able to run BF3 on max. settings with good fps, your card looks powerful then mine. I have core i7 920 OC to 3.2 ghz, 6GB DDR3 1600mhz ram and 1 TB 7200rpm drive.

Thanks, fellas. I am still not sure. I do not want to attempt BF3 unless I am absolutely sure I can run it at a decent framerate. I hear very bad things about MW3 on Amazon, etc. I wonder if these players are just over-dramatic, or if their concerns are legit on PC? Oh well. I shall decide tomorrow which game to get. I need FPS in my life, lol.

With your current setup, you'll be able to play BF3 at 'high' settings at 1920x1200

If, however, you add the second card, then 'high' can be easily changed to 'ultra'.

In both the cases, you'll get smooth framerates

When you guys are running this game on maximum are you running it with AA / AF?

To me maximum means 16 x AF and at-least 4x AA combined with every in-game setting on maximum including HBAO etc

With AA/AF on, i have uninstalled the game so cant post screenshot. But i do overclock my GPU using MSI afterburner.

When you guys are running this game on maximum are you running it with AA / AF?

To me maximum means 16 x AF and at-least 4x AA combined with every in-game setting on maximum including HBAO etc

I think this the real question.What is meant by 'run BF3' (as in what are the minimum settings OP is willing to go with).Personally I don't care much for AA. I am happy to leave that off, but I do want AF and all else maxed. So far my HD6870 has not let me down, but I have not played BF3 yet. :D