If you could show your younger self one game from this gen...

Portal 2.

Go back and show anyone that game 10 years ago, and their jaw would drop. I don't mean graphically, I mean gameplay-wise.

I agree. Awesome game. It's amazing now but 10 years ago I would have been blown away.

the original half life......the graphics, the 3d perception and of course the storyline....a long long way from playing Gloom on the CBM amiga! Also LOTRO, remembering that the first "internet" for me was a 14.4k modem and BBS/Aminet and the first multiplayer i tried was Knights of the Sky on Amiga and null modem cable to my mates amiga in the same room! :p happy days!

I would show my younger self Half-Life 2.

There are moments in that game where I just had to stop gameplay just to watch in absolute awe. And that's not happened in any game since. So if I showed my younger self that... he would be blown away.

Probably has been said, but Uncharted 2 or 3.

"Would you like to watch an action movie or play one?"

I'd also show myself RE5, and then watch myself tear up at how ****ty the series got.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. The ultimate experience in current-gen gaming. I wouldn't just show a "fun" game. I would need to show my younger self how mature and deep the art of gaming will become. Of course I wouldn't have understood, being such a young age, but in time I would realize the importance of all this and this would keep me going..