21 posts in this topic

Posted

[center][b][size=6]How to locate the serial number of a dead iOS device when all else fails.[/size][/b][/center]

In this guide I will tell you how to locate your Apple device serial number. Sometimes you have an Apple device that will not turn on because it's broke (DOH!). That same device might have a serial number on the back of it you can't read, and you have long since thrown away the packaging. So now how the heck are you going to find the serial number? The good news is, iTunes records all the serial numbers for your iOS devices. You just need to get creative!

Let's try the easy way first

[size=5][b]Finding your serial number(s) via the iTunes help / about.[/b][/size]

1) Open iTunes
2) Click on the help menu and then hold down the control key. Now click "About iTunes".

If successful it should show your device ID's. For me, it had, my iPod Nano and my iPad but It didn't have my iPod Touch, which is the one I was looking for. So I had to get a little more creative.

[b][size=5]Next we will go hunting for the all great and powerful iPodDevices.xml[/size][/b]

[i][b]In Vista and Windows 7 this file is located in C:\USERS\(username)\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes[/b][/i]
[i][b]In XP it should be located in \Documents and Settings\<userName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPodDevices.xml[/b][/i]

[img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4084/18742211j.jpg[/img]

Open the XML file with word or wordpad and do a search for the word Serial number. With any luck you should find your serial number in this file. If you have more than 1 iOS device I would recommend trying the first method first, and then take a screenshot the number it screen gives you. Then compare them with the one in the file. That way you can easily tell which serial is the one you are missing.

Hope this helps someone with a dead iOS device, who is trying to locate their serial number before they call Apple support.

Posted

Looks like room for someone to make a small application to find this and display it to a user ;)

Posted

[quote name='cybertimber2008' timestamp='1323564589' post='594511195']
Looks like room for someone to make a small application to find this and display it to a user ;)
[/quote]

For the hell of it, I decided to give making it a shot, and I got a very basic one written, I left it open enough anyone could add to it. I've included the source (C#, .NET 4.0 Visual Studio 2010). If you don't have visual studio, just go to the /bin/debug/ folder for the .exe

Took about 20 minutes, Im sure others may approach it completely different, but basically everything is commented, and done as cleanly as I could in the time I did it.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='firey' timestamp='1323661719' post='594513541']
For the hell of it, I decided to give making it a shot, and I got a very basic one written, I left it open enough anyone could add to it. I've included the source (C#, .NET 4.0 Visual Studio 2010). If you don't have visual studio, just go to the /bin/debug/ folder for the .exe

Took about 20 minutes, Im sure others may approach it completely different, but basically everything is commented, and done as cleanly as I could in the time I did it.
[/quote]

Impressive! That little tool will be quite popular. Good job!

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1323661907' post='594513545']
Great Scott!

Impressive! That little tool will be quite popular. Good job!
[/quote]

lol thanks, if anyone has ideas, but not sure how to add them in the code, or doesn't have the tools, let me know and if I have time I can add them. There are a few spots for advancement, but like I don't know all the devices with the familyID's (I used my two ipods to get the Nano 2g, and Ipod Touch 4g) but those are all I have. So instead of saying IPod Touch 3g it would say Ipod Family ID: xxxxxx

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1323564167' post='594511179']
[center][b][size=6]How to locate the serial number of a dead iOS device when all else fails.[/size][/b][/center]

In this guide I will tell you how to locate your Apple device serial number. Sometimes you have an Apple device that will not turn on because it's broke (DOH!). That same device might have a serial number on the back of it you can't read, and you have long since thrown away the packaging. So now how the heck are you going to find the serial number? The good news is, iTunes records all the serial numbers for your iOS devices. You just need to get creative!

Let's try the easy way first

[size=5][b]Finding your serial number(s) via the iTunes help / about.[/b][/size]

1) Open iTunes
2) Click on the help menu and then hold down the control key. Now click "About iTunes".

If successful it should show your device ID's. For me, it had, my iPod Nano and my iPad but It didn't have my iPod Touch, which is the one I was looking for. So I had to get a little more creative.

[b][size=5]Next we will go hunting for the all great and powerful iPodDevices.xml[/size][/b]

[i][b]In Vista and Windows 7 this file is located in C:\USERS\(username)\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes[/b][/i]
[i][b]In XP it should be located in \Documents and Settings\<userName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPodDevices.xml[/b][/i]

[img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4084/18742211j.jpg[/img]

Open the XML file with word or wordpad and do a search for the word Serial number. With any luck you should find your serial number in this file. If you have more than 1 iOS device I would recommend trying the first method first, and then take a screenshot the number it screen gives you. Then compare them with the one in the file. That way you can easily tell which serial is the one you are missing.

Hope this helps someone with a dead iOS device, who is trying to locate their serial number before they call Apple support.
[/quote]

Nice tip, you kinda forgot to hide your username in the explorer pane....not sure why you'd want to hide it though, not like it's giving out any personal details :p

Posted

Or.. you know.. look at the back of your iOS device... where the serial is located....

Posted

[quote name='nominak' timestamp='1323662601' post='594513567']
Or.. you know.. look at the back of your iOS device... where the serial is located....
[/quote]

[quote]
In this guide I will tell you how to locate your Apple device serial number. Sometimes you have an Apple device that will not turn on because it's broke (DOH!).[b] That same device might have a serial number on the back of it you can't read,[/b] and you have long since thrown away the packaging. So now how the heck are you going to find the serial number? The good news is, iTunes records all the serial numbers for your iOS devices. You just need to get creative![/quote]

In my case the serial was so scratched up I couldn't read it.

Posted

Just to note that for any cellular network capable iOS devices, the serial number and IMEI are located on the sim card tray.

Posted

[quote name='firey' timestamp='1323661719' post='594513541']

[/quote]

Forgive me for asking but is there any reason why the software attempts a TCP connection on launch to 2.17.189.15?

Posted

[quote name='JJ_' timestamp='1330569119' post='594692912']
Forgive me for asking but is there any reason why the software attempts a TCP connection on launch to 2.17.189.15?
[/quote]

It doesn't.. the code is right there, feel free to look at it, you will see there is no network code at all.

Posted

[quote name='firey' timestamp='1330569301' post='594692914']
It doesn't.. the code is right there, feel free to look at it, you will see there is no network code at all.
[/quote]

Hmm today it tries to connect to a different IP but in the same range :s

[img]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4067/ipodserials1.jpg[/img]

I unplugged my ethernet lead and with no connection the app throws up a hissy fit and crashes

[img]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6492/ipodserials2.jpg[/img]

Posted

[quote name='JJ_' timestamp='1330635932' post='594695870']
Hmm today it tries to connect to a different IP but in the same range :s

I unplugged my ethernet lead and with no connection the app throws up a hissy fit and crashes

[/quote]

Not sure what to tell you, the code is right there for you to see, there is nothing hiding. You sure something hasn't attached itself?

Quick google search shows:

[b]IP Address [/b] 2.22.77.15
[b]Area Code [/b]
[b]Country Code [/b] UK
[b]IDD Code [/b] 44
[b]Country Name [/b] [img]http://www.iplocationtools.com/flags/uk.png[/img] United Kingdom
[b]Time Zone [/b] +00:00
[b]Region [/b] England
[b]ISP [/b] Akamai Technologies
[b]City [/b] London
[b]Domain [/b] AKAMAI.COM
[b]Connection Type [/b] DSL
[b]Coordinates [/b] [url="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.500152,-0.126236&spn=0.676851,1.235962&z=10"][img]http://www.iplocationtools.com/images/icons/globe-small.png[/img] 51

Posted

may I ask why anyone would even need it?If its dead whats the point

Posted

[quote name='firey' timestamp='1330636119' post='594695878']
Not sure what to tell you, the code is right there for you to see, there is nothing hiding. You sure something hasn't attached itself?

Quick google search shows:

[b]IP Address [/b] 2.22.77.15
[b]Area Code [/b]
[b]Country Code [/b] UK
[b]IDD Code [/b] 44
[b]Country Name [/b] [img]http://www.iplocationtools.com/flags/uk.png[/img] United Kingdom
[b]Time Zone [/b] +00:00
[b]Region [/b] England
[b]ISP [/b] Akamai Technologies
[b]City [/b] London
[b]Domain [/b] AKAMAI.COM
[b]Connection Type [/b] DSL
[b]Coordinates [/b] [url="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.500152,-0.126236&spn=0.676851,1.235962&z=10"][img]http://www.iplocationtools.com/images/icons/globe-small.png[/img] 51

Posted

I'm not at home right now, you could always download reflector, open up the program with that and look for something that seems to be outgoing?

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1323662673' post='594513569']
In my case the serial was so scratched up I couldn't read it.
[/quote]

FYI if you type *#06# into the keypad on mostly every smartphone it brings up the IMEI. Of course that's assuming you can get access to the keypad.

Posted

could also just look on the back of the device (as nominak said )
*Edit - nvm, think thats the model number

Posted

Guys guys, read. Title.

"... of a [b]dead [/b]iOS device when[b] all else fails[/b]"

Nice tip though.

Posted

Reason why it connects to the web is that it gets the doctype from the XML and tries to load it from "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"]http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd[/url]" which is why you are seeing an Akamai IP pop when running it.

Posted

[quote name='firey' timestamp='1330569301' post='594692914']
[/quote]

I didn't check the compiled exe, but I did browse the source and I didn't see anything making a network connection in there. The code is non-malicious.