Adblock Plus will show 'acceptable ads' by default from v. 2.0 on

A lot of people in this generation really **** me off. They want everything for free and feel they're entitled to take what they want and give nothing in return.

I own my computer, thus I have the right to decide what is displayed/downloaded onto it.

Adverts do a few things, none of which are helpful in anyway (especially flash ads):

1. They're obnoxious.

2. They use cpu/memory resources that could be spent elsewhere.

3. They often try to infect your OS with viruses/malware.

4. They are highly distracting and get in the way of enjoying the web.

If you don't like it, well it's tough luck.

Is your attention span so short that a flashy picture on a page is enough to distract you more than a few milliseconds from reading an article?

YES!

I own my computer, thus I have the right to decide what is displayed/downloaded onto it.

Adverts do a few things, none of which are helpful in anyway (especially flash ads):

1. They're obnoxious.

2. They use cpu/memory resources that could be spent elsewhere.

3. They often try to infect your OS with viruses/malware.

4. They are highly distracting and get in the way of enjoying the web.

If you don't like it, well it's tough luck.

YES!

you own a computer, doesn't mean you have the right to steal software, steal bandwidth, steal anything. By visiting neowin with an ad blocker you are stealing bandwidth.

If ads are an issue for you, then subscribe.

By visiting neowin with an ad blocker you are stealing bandwidth.

Not quite sure that even makes sense...

An ad blocker blocks the ad from even being downloaded. So if anything, you're saving Neowin bandwidth.

• Like 2

Not quite sure that even makes sense...

An ad blocker blocks the ad from even being downloaded. So if anything, you're saving Neowin bandwidth.

What Hawkman means is that if you block the ad revenue that Neowin makes from those ads (which are hosted on someone elses server) you are using up Neowin's bandwidth without giving anything back, the forums do use quite a bit of bandwidth since they contain a lot of various images, actual html-js code etc.

What Hawkman means is that if you block the ad revenue that Neowin makes from those ads (which are hosted on someone elses server) you are using up Neowin's bandwidth without giving anything back, the forums do use quite a bit of bandwidth since they contain a lot of various images, actual html-js code etc.

Right, I get that, but you aren't really stealing anything. Stealing bandwidth no, blocking potential revenue probably. In he end, it's a free public website.

Right, I get that, but you aren't really stealing anything. Stealing bandwidth no, blocking potential revenue probably. In he end, it's a free public website.

No it's not a free public website, it's an ad supported public web site that costs a lot to run, if they don't get ad money, the site goes away.without ad money we'd still be on the old slow neowin servers.

So yes, you are stealing. you're taking a product, the website, without paying the currency, few non obtrusive ads.

And do you have any idea why it's free? I'll give you a hint, the answer is related to this thread.

No it's not a free public website, it's an ad supported public web site that costs a lot to run, if they don't get ad money, the site goes away.without ad money we'd still be on the old slow neowin servers.

So yes, you are stealing. you're taking a product, the website, without paying the currency, few non obtrusive ads.

It's free because it doesn't cost money to join.

It's public because you don't even have to register to view it.

And if it's stealing, then please show me where in Neowin's TOA that it states you aren't allowed to run an ad blocker.

All of those things are true, and "stealing" is subjective, at best.

It's maybe morally wrong, but it's not rightfully wrong.

you own a computer, doesn't mean you have the right to steal software, steal bandwidth, steal anything. By visiting neowin with an ad blocker you are stealing bandwidth.

lol.

• Like 3

It's free because it doesn't cost money to join.

It's public because you don't even have to register to view it.

And if it's stealing, then please show me where in Neowin's TOA that it states you aren't allowed to run an ad blocker.

All of those things are true, and "stealing" is subjective, at best.

It's maybe morally wrong, but it's not rightfully wrong.

Advertisement Blocking.

Glorifying the fact in posts here on Neowin is strictly forbidden. We understand that some members could not care less to display advertisements on any website, and therefore block a stream of revenue that is required to keep this site running. We can not do much about that but please do not glorify the fact.

Source: Neowin Community Rules

Again, if you don't want to view the ads or don't want to subscribe, why are you here on Neowin? you obviously don't want the site to exist. without ads the site cannot exist.

The funding of sites through constant enlarge-your-penis get-google-chrome spend-money-here buy-this-game simply cannot work for websites where the viewing demographic knows how to customize their browsing experience.

Sites for uninformed individuals on the other hand can live through constant advertisments.

I guess I just have one question. How many Ad's use Java script? All of them? The one thing I have against Ads, is that in some cases they can carry exploits and infect an users machine just by looking at the ads.

Now if some ad's don't have scripting, I wouldn't be opposed in the least at letting those ads that don't use scripting display in my web browser.

I would then basically block flash ads and ads which use javascript

Sites I use a lot I do give money to. The 3 sites I have supported in the past are the angry video game nerd, Neowin and Wikipedia.

Again, if you don't want to view the ads or don't want to subscribe, why are you here on Neowin? you obviously don't want the site to exist. without ads the site cannot exist.

Not sure if that bullet was aimed at me, but I'd like to reiterate that I'm not against ads in any way and have never felt the need for an ad blocker (as I've stated previously in this thread).

My previous comment to you was aimed at the "stealing" aspect of it, as that is subjective in certain context.

Carry on. :)

Sounds like the plugin author got in bed with some advertisers. Ads are a security risk these days since server admins won't be bothered to properly vet content to insure malicious ads don't get into rotation.

I highly doubt it, he probably just has morales.

Ever fast forward through a commercial on TV? Cause if so you're stealing television and should probably send the station a check. I mean it's just morally the right thing to do.

• Like 2

Ever fast forward through a commercial on TV? Cause if so you're stealing television and should probably send the station a check. I mean it's just morally the right thing to do.

TV stations don't get paid per ad view. Websites do.

TV stations don't get paid per ad view. Websites do.

Ya all those 0.001c per view really add up. In reality it's the clicks that count the views are just a waste of money for anyone purchasing advertising online. If people want their ads to work they need to only pay for clicks and not views.

But don't forget this about TV: companies will stop running ads if they aren't seeing an improvement in the sale of the product they were advertising. So if people fast forward through the ads then the ads will stop being run. So technically TV Stations only see repeat buisness and make more money if people actually see the ads.

I'm not saying that this option is terrible, but I believe it really taints Adblocks reputation. What's next, a certain ad-provider paying Adblock to not block certain ads by default also?

Here's my prediction: other ad-blockers will be seeing increases in their userbase.

My tv is incapable of time travel, so no, I haven't. I watch most of my shows from other services though.

Also didn't neowin goto bed with Stardock for the hosting? Therefore the hosting is already paid for by the money stardock makes off of their commercial software & elsewhere.

The ad money seems just profit.

Admins trying to guilt you into seeing ads you wont click anyways just makes me want to keep them blocked.

That's not how it works.