Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Argote

Quality Noise Cancelling headphones

10 posts in this topic

I'm considering giving my girlfriend noise cancelling headphones for Christmas, however I'm unsure as to which pair is best as I prefer traditional (non noise canceling) headphones(and own a pair of Sony MDR-V6 and Grado SR-80i).

From what I've seen the Senheisser PXC 450 seem very good but I was wondering if I could get something of good quality with nice sound canceling for a bit less.

I appreciate your help.

Sony MDR-V6 are good looking ones and cheaper too.

Or you can chec kout some of the Razer offerings

Sony MDR-V6 are good looking ones and cheaper too.

Or you can chec kout some of the Razer offerings

But the MDR-V6 do not have active noise canceling, I'm looking for headphones with active noise canceling.

But the MDR-V6 do not have active noise canceling, I'm looking for headphones with active noise canceling.

Beats Audio then, I guess.

Or the ones you've mentioned

Noise cancelling headphones are generally bad, as they project white noise to drown out everything else, making them only useful in the noisiest of situations. I'd recommend some closed ear headphones with good isolation. For that, I recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A700's (not to be confused with the AD700's, which are open air). They're a good 110$, but both versions have great sound after being burnt in for 50 hours or so.

Thanks Reacon, I've considered just getting passive over the ear headphones but she mentioned something about active noise canceling (I'm actually partial to passive canceling myself), $110 is well within budget, I'll look into those.

Do you really need noise cancelling headphones? Because like Reacon said, they just project white noise to block out external noise, and the sound quality of those headphones are usually sub-par at best (especially the Monster Beats ones; avoid those at all costs). You'll get just as good soundproofing with a good pair of closed-back headphones. I've got the Shure SRH840s, and they're fantastic in that field, especially in college, where I study music production, so I use my headphones almost all the time there comfortably and with no need to turn the volume up to obscene levels. :) They're $144.80 in Amazon at the moment, but you'll almost certainly find them cheaper somewhere else over there. If you want to save more money though, then you can get away with its little brother, the SRH440; that's $88.50 on Amazon, uses the same detachable cable as the SRH840, and just has a smaller frequency range (as the SRH840s are made mainly for monitoring purposes) and is a tiny bit lighter. :)

If you've still got your heart set on a noise-cancelling pair though, then go for either the Bose QuietComfort 3 or 15 (15 if you can afford it).