Apple to Launch 2880x1800 Res. 'Retina Display' MBP in Q2 2012?

People already explained that few pages back. It doesn't change the fact however, that Apple can't compensate for third-party software such as Adobe CS and Microsoft Office. So legacy software that isn't updated in time will look pixelated or completely broken even.

You can get the same effect right now by enabling resolution independence using the developer tools.

The problem with enabling resolution independence right now breaks everything as there's no way for an app to opt out of it (short of using OpenGL to render the UI, hence why it "works" in Firefox 3.6 but breaks in 4.0). But nothing can be done to fix apps that have no awareness of it, the best that can be done is to render at the expected res and upscale to the desired res, stuff ends up pixelated but that's the best possible outcome.

After trying HDPI Resolutions with the Dev tools, it surprisingly works with a few third-party applications already (Transmission, Adium). Unsurprisingly, it doesn?t work with iTunes and Office 2011, and while it works with Safari, its font rendering is horribly pixelated, unless you stop rendering the page when it?s 90% done.

I can?t wait to see that, as I have been running OS X with a 1080p resolution on my 27", because things were too small at the native resolution. On the opposite, my native HDPI resolution makes things too big, twice as big in fact, and I feel like I?m losing way too much screen space. I wonder if they can find a compromise?

Now, I know this is supposed to be applied on Retina Displays, which I don?t have, but if they can manage to also make it an interesting feature on older Macs, it would be great.