Man who was mauled by 4 dogs could face trespassing charges

A man who was mauled by four pit bulls in South Seattle on Wednesday night could face criminal charges for trespassing, according to Seattle police.

The man had apparently climbed a 10-foot fence around 9 p.m. and entered the yard illegally, said department spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb. Once in the yard, the man was attacked by the dogs.

"The person had no business being there and this was their dog run, so to speak," Whitcomb said. "The dogs were blameless; they were merely protecting their area. We're going to be requesting charges of criminal trespass on this person. It's a misdemeanor-level offense."

Whitcomb said that the homeowner heard the commotion and called the dogs off and placed them into a kennel.

"The suspect was unable to walk due to his injuries, so the homeowner placed the suspect on a hand truck and moved him to the street," Whitcomb said. "The homeowner flagged down a passer-by and asked them to call 911."

Seattle Fire Department medics provided first aid and then took the man to Harborview Medical Center for further treatment. His injuries were not life-threatening, police said.

The man suffered a number of puncture wounds and extensive injuries to his head, arm, neck and an ear, according to Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.

The homeowner provided police with licenses and veterinary records for the dogs, Whitcomb said.

Seattle Animal Shelter Director Don Jordan said that they are investigating the incident and will look into whether the dogs have any previous history of biting. He said the dogs were quarantined on Thursday, as is routine with any dog-bite investigation.

"I don't have any reason to believe anything is going to happen to the dog owner or the dogs," Jordan said. "But he can only have three dogs, so he is in violation of the zoning code."

Source

While I agree with all of the above, do you think perhaps having been mauled by 4 dogs might just be sufficient to stop him doing it again?

Adding the trespass charges just seems mean spirited :| I think he's learnt his lesson.

While I agree with all of the above, do you think perhaps having been mauled by 4 dogs might just be sufficient to stop him doing it again?

Adding the trespass charges just seems mean spirited :| I think he's learnt his lesson.

You're to nice

so far as i am concerned he had trespassed and even though he was attacked that was his punishment, i do not think they should charge him.

so far as i am concerned he had trespassed and even though he was attacked that was his punishment, i do not think they should charge him.

How about if he had climbed into your house, stole something and in all the adrenaline or w/e shot you or a family member or something (if he were to be carrying a gun)? I'd like to hear his story on why he tried to climb in there, but he'll probably just make it up, it's retarded to get on other people's property, unless they invite you, you should stay away, I don't see why they would blame the dogs or the house owner, it's inside his property.

Yup no blame on the dogs here. Not saying he got what he deserved, but he got what would be expected of the situation he put himself in.

How about if he had climbed into your house, stole something and in all the adrenaline or w/e shot you or a family member or something (if he were to be carrying a gun)? I'd like to hear his story on why he tried to climb in there, but he'll probably just make it up, it's retarded to get on other people's property, unless they invite you, you should stay away, I don't see why they would blame the dogs or the house owner, it's inside his property.

Yes, because trespass is the same as murder..

Also, I don't think anyone in this thread blamed the dogs or the house owner.

There are 2 sides so far:

1. He got what he deserved.

2. He got what he deserved, but charging him seems a little rough after his face got torn off.

^ Even though I agree that he learnt his lesson, and so did we all by reading this.

But not charging, and hence not punishing him, would actually be breaking the law.

Not at all. Primarily because the house owner can choose not to press charges.

The owner may have to file the charges just to keep everything by books. The fact that the dogs attacked him the owner is safer by filing the charges so the dogs/owner is not held responsible in anyway. I am sure the charges will be dropped anyway.

While I am no dog fan at all, I?ll say this I don?t see the issue of course he should be charged even if it was an optional law he still broke it. Also in my view the dog owner should be arrested for having too many animals and keeping dangerous animals I don?t know the law where the rest of you live but in the UK an animal mauls a human it is destroyed by law. Sorry but my brother leg flesh was eaten by a dog yes eaten through no fault of his own. I won?t here the argument ?but the guy walked into the dogs area? illegal or not any animal that attacks a human under any circumstance is dangerous. They under are law should and would be destroyed I believe. Dog lovers I remind you your dog?s aren?t your children nor are they human. Whilst genetically we are no superior to any other animal we must protect are human race from beings of lesser intelligence that can do us harm. I hope the dogs are executed.

While I am no dog fan at all, I?ll say this I don?t see the issue of course he should be charged even if it was an optional law he still broke it. Also in my view the dog owner should be arrested for having too many animals and keeping dangerous animals I don?t know the law where the rest of you live but in the UK an animal mauls a human it is destroyed by law. Sorry but my brother leg flesh was eaten by a dog yes eaten through no fault of his own. I won?t here the argument ?but the guy walked into the dogs area? illegal or not any animal that attacks a human under any circumstance is dangerous. They under are law should and would be destroyed I believe. Dog lovers I remind you your dog?s aren?t your children nor are they human. Whilst genetically we are no superior to any other animal we must protect are human race from beings of lesser intelligence that can do us harm. I hope the dogs are executed.

Why would you punish an animal for protecting his and his masters property???

I'm planning on getting a big ass dog to protect my property very soon.

Here in Honduras there are a lot of break ins so we want a dog to protect our land.

At least over here, if somebody trespasses and gets attacked, nobody will blame the dog owner.

Or shoot the dog. The guys should not have been there.

Why would you punish an animal for protecting his and his masters property???

I'm planning on getting a big ass dog to protect my property very soon.

Here in Honduras there are a lot of break ins so we want a dog to protect our land.

At least over here, if somebody trespasses and gets attacked, nobody will blame the dog owner.

Or shoot the dog. The guys should not have been there.

One because the animal doesnt even know its masters name, its acting on blological factors. Two if you want a "big ass dog" shame on you I consider people like you thugs IMO. However since u live in Honduras in South America ill give you a free pass but in western british culture generally people who keep dogs as weapons or a means of protection are not considerd good people. I agree the man should not have been there but the dogs attacked a man = dangerous to human beings. I would agrue if you feel you need a dog for protection in you country then get a gun if legal or better yet a better police force. Sorry but people in the UK saying they need dangerous dogs as protection generally dont need them. If a dog attacks a human and or eats flesh its considerd a threat here.

I never said i wanted a dog to keep as a weapon.

If you see a big dog running around in the garden, you'll think twice before jumping that fence.

That's the purpose of a big dog. He doesn't have to be mean, or 'trained' to attack people.

I actually plan on socializing my dogs well.

I rather have my dog bite somebody, than me having to shoot somebody who is trespassing, and I can't do much about the Honduras police force.

One because the animal doesnt even know its masters name, its acting on blological factors. Two if you want a "big ass dog" shame on you I consider people like you thugs IMO. However since u live in Honduras in South America ill give you a free pass but in western british culture generally people who keep dogs as weapons or a means of protection are not considerd good people. I agree the man should not have been there but the dogs attacked a man = dangerous to human beings. I would agrue if you feel you need a dog for protection in you country then get a gun if legal or better yet a better police force. Sorry but people in the UK saying they need dangerous dogs as protection generally dont need them. If a dog attacks a human and or eats flesh its considerd a threat here.

Is this a fact or just your biased opinion. And yes, your opinion is very biased base on what happened to your brother. If in fact your brother was attacked (unprovoked, which is VERY rare) then so be it, the dog should be put down. Based on your opening remark regarding the dog doesnt know the masters name, that just shows how little you know about dogs. For the most part, a dog would never attack his owner - even in pitch black a dog would be able to smell his masters scent and not attack. If some idiot is going to climb a fence to ILLEGALLY enter another mans property is at NO fault of the dog. The dog was trained to protect his masters property and did exactly what he was supposed to. If the master did not have control over his dogs he would not have been able to put them in a kennel while they were attacking the intruder.