Who has given more to the world of technology?

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who has given more to the world of technology?

• Apple
    • Microsoft

Innovation Apple

ability to adapt and support and bend over Microsoft (apply is only on a handful of machines while MS is hell, you can run it on a fart machine wait that is linux, my bad)

Neither of them have really created new technology or provided the world with new technology.

Apple takes open source projects and repackages them or buys a company that offers a closed solution and uses their technology in their products. They very rarely build a new technology from scratch. Even Multi-Touch on the iPhone was an innovation designed by others first but Apple acts like they invented it.

Microsoft sees a competing technology or protocol that already exists and simply writes their own proprietary alternative to leverage their huge market share to become the dominant player in whatever new thing they are copying.

This is hard to say.

Microsoft obviously has had a higher physical impact since Windows runs on damn near every computer in the world.

But Apple has had the biggest influential impact on computers, phones, tablets, etc...

• Like 1

I suppose if I had to choose one of these, which as said, both are flamebait, I would have to go with Apple and here is why.

Both companies have given a good amount to the world of technology but only one has the ability to bring about change and actually push us forward. Microsoft is really good about bringing changes that consumers know they want. The problem with Microsoft is that it is horrible at convincing consumers they want something. Microsoft's one selling point is that it is cheaper. Apple, on the other hand, is amazing at convincing consumers they want/need something. Once this happens, a chain reaction takes place. A "new" market appears that everyone wants to get into. We had mp3 devices before iPod but iPod turned it into a mass market. We had smart phones before iPhone but iPhone made the average consumer buy into that market. iPad was the same way. These markets aren't new, they just aren't big and most companies don't want to buy into markets that are not proven in some way. The reason I think this means Apple has given more is because once the markets explode, the costs of competing products go down, bringing more to the world as a whole. If it wasn't for companies like Apple(there are also others), technology would still be something that only small population of people(read nerds) that have/use computers because nobody else would know they want/need them.

Agree with flamebait topic, but honestly neither on have given all that much to "technology".

Apple is a hardware company, they take ideas and package and improve them. Microsoft is software (mostly) and they also take ideas and improve them. I used "take" instead of steal/borrow/buy for BOTH companies, since neither has clean hands.

Intel and/or AMD has given MORE to tech, than either. Intel for the Pentium, and then AMD for kicking Intel off their asses, and MAKING them give us the C2D chips. But that's just my opinion, I hope other will disagree. :)

Microsft , Keep in mind bill gates and microsoft have been working on tablets and pen computing since the 80's with versions of each OS tailered for the environment since windows 3.1. Microsoft has a whole research division that has some cool inventions that do not get reported in .

Plus microsoft gives away software for cheap or free to non profits. I do not see apple doing this.