Java! Uninstall It, Update it, or bend over and grab the ketchup!

In an age of HTML5, javascript, and Flash, I cannot remember the last time my java client even bothered to load up. Nevertheless, I somehow still keep it installed. JRE 7 has been out for weeks actually through manual download on their developers site. But again, I could just install java altogether and not lose any function on my computer.

You should uninstall it then. I gained back so much performance from my machines when I did ages ago.

Wait, what? People are actually using JAVA applications on servers? Is it a heavy-load server or just a server that runs JAVA applications for some small tasks?

I use it just for server applications because of netty (www.jboss.org/netty) is amazing, it can handle 512,000+ concurrent connections and is super efficient framework for sockets.

You guys are all overlooking one of the greatest purposes of Java - to give people like us jobs fixing malware.

Think: Without Java, there goes like half of all careless infections, and thus business!

You guys are all overlooking one of the greatest purposes of Java - to give people like us jobs fixing malware.

Think: Without Java, there goes like half of all careless infections, and thus business!

Exactly, which is why i'm loving that expect of it, i'm just warning my fellow Neowin Member.

Hey warwagon... if people no longer need to get their "computer" fixed, you no longer have a job fixing their mess.

Just sayin', bro'.

I'm just warning Neowin about risks so they can protect themselves, not the average Joe.

just sayin', bro'.

Although I do usually remove Java from PC's that come into my Office, once I ask them if they need it and they aren't sure or say no. I tell them if you do find you need it then at the very least you'll have the newest version when you get it off java.com. I feel that if I don't do that, then i'm not doing my best for them. Now if if the future they reinstall java and nuke themselves, then that's their own fault. But at least I feel like I tried to help them.

I once saw a PC that my competitor fixed. Once he fixed the malware infection, he did not uninstall, nor did he update the out of date version that they had.

This again?

We get it -- you hate Java. But for the rest of us, we have to use it and learn to deal with it.

Get over it already.

No you dont. There are 1000s of alternative object orientated languages.

Uh, check out Mono. Woops, there goes your theory.

To think I dont know about Mono just makes you look..........Im not going to even say it.

Here are some things why Mono is not good for developing in general:

Windows Forms 2.0 is not developed actively

WPF is not going to be implanted at all.

Some of the .NET framework is going to be implanted in a completely different project

Mobile versions of the .NET framework for development are not free

Patent issues will always exist

There are two garbage collectors and you have to choose between the 2 and decide which is better for your application.

and there are a whole munch of other issues I havent touched. Im not saying Mono is bad at all, Im just saying it isnt the same thing as the native thing.

You do not need to see the source code to easily realize that Minecraft is horrible.

Just like you do not need to look at GTAIV source code to realize that it is a bad PC port.

Minecraft uses very small textures and super-low polygon count models.

The world is made out low res textured cubes which repeat themselves.

Stuff like Mushrooms seem to be made out of 2 or 4 two-dimensional planes with bitmask transparency.

You see more polygons and more texture information just in the face of some bad guy from a modern FPS game.

Rendering highly repetitive super-simple objects is not difficult (there are many optimizations/shortcuts which are standard for these things),

additionally anyone with a brain wouldn't render _everything_ but just the things which are visible.

Additionally, anyone with a brain would thread any modern game to separate things out a bit.

So there is nothing about Minecraft that should make it require any more hardware power than an old 2Ghz Single Core, right?

Wrong!

Minecraft requires something like a Core 2 Duo to run smoothly and about 2GB RAM (unless you like disk trashing) and it is pretty much single threaded based on what I read (and my task manager...).

Oh and before you start defending Minecraft, realize that there are half a thousand of pages of people complaining and that is just one thread.

So my point stands,

Minecraft is a very bad example of Java coding and it may be hurting Java.

Minecraft has to keep track of things that other games, like the modern FPSes you are referring to, don't.

Also, I'm not saying Minecraft is inneficient - It is. But you are exaggerating so hard, it's painful. Beleive it or not, "smart terrain loading" like you mentioned isn't as easy as you think, and I don't blame Notch for working on the gameplay its self, before working on optimization (which he has been working on HEAVILY in the last few update stages). That's how you are supposed to do it.

I'm just warning Neowin about risks so they can protect themselves, not the average Joe.

151.jpg

Your average Joe is your average Neowinian.

Your average Neowinian is your average Joe.

My blind is blown.

Minecraft has to keep track of things that other games, like the modern FPSes you are referring to, don't.

Also, I'm not saying Minecraft is inneficient - It is. But you are exaggerating so hard, it's painful. Beleive it or not, "smart terrain loading" like you mentioned isn't as easy as you think, and I don't blame Notch for working on the gameplay its self, before working on optimization (which he has been working on HEAVILY in the last few update stages). That's how you are supposed to do it.

I just pointed you to a link that proves that Minecraft is unoptimized, yet you try to deny it...

I just pointed you to a link that proves that Minecraft is unoptimized, yet you try to deny it...

You're obviously not reading my posts if you think I'm trying to argue that Minecraft is a perfectly optimized and efficient game, but whatever, have at it dude. :) Good day.

• 3 weeks later...

Makes me laugh how most new computers come with an out of date version of Java on them out of the box. Job security FTW

not to brown-nose, but since we're on the topic, thanks Warwagon for reminding me to do this, as I rarely do, and should do more often. I personally don't use Java, but I have clients on my domain that do, and I try to suit their needs as much as I can. Again, thanks, warwagon! (No ketchup for me, my salad's fine, and is not in need of tossing, LMAO!)

not to brown-nose, but since we're on the topic, thanks Warwagon for reminding me to do this, as I rarely do, and should do more often. I personally don't use Java, but I have clients on my domain that do, and I try to suit their needs as much as I can. Again, thanks, warwagon! (No ketchup for me, my salad's fine, and is not in need of tossing, LMAO!)

No Prob. Just had a malware infested computer come into my office today, during the scan with kaspersky rescue disc it found 3 Java Exploits that had been recently downloaded. They were running Java v6 16

that's even more interesting to know, as I deal with tons of malware, quite often here lately...both on said domain, and from random people who call me asking if I can fix their computer....this explains a lot! I need to discourage java even more...looks like it's going to be a busy day for me tomorrow! But thank you! (I've been busy here lately, and haven't been able to keep up as much as I used to.) This explains a lot! See, this is always why I trust neowin over any other site on the planet....you get both a lesson and a wake-up-call all in one post. Couldn't get any better than that! :)

that's even more interesting to know, as I deal with tons of malware, quite often here lately...both on said domain, and from random people who call me asking if I can fix their computer....this explains a lot! I need to discourage java even more...looks like it's going to be a busy day for me tomorrow! But thank you! (I've been busy here lately, and haven't been able to keep up as much as I used to.) This explains a lot! See, this is always why I trust neowin over any other site on the planet....you get both a lesson and a wake-up-call all in one post. Couldn't get any better than that! :)

Yep, I would say an out of date version of Java is currently the #1 Infection vector.

I'll take your word for it, as I head off to update all of the pc's on my network...and tomorrow when I get to work....guess what's happening! Oh, shoot! A quick google showed this:> http://raproducts.or...dpress/software....could this be really useful? An honest question. I don't trust many things on the internet these days..... :/

I'll take your word for it, as I head off to update all of the pc's on my network...and tomorrow when I get to work....guess what's happening! Oh, shoot! A quick google showed this:> http://raproducts.or...dpress/software....could this be really useful? An honest question. I don't trust many things on the internet anymore these days..... :/

Yep that program works. I've used it before. Haven't had the greatest luck with it. It wont' install java completely, it just removes older versions if you have multiple version on your machine. I usually just go into the uninstall program list, do a search for Java (on Vista /7 , on XP I use a program called Safarp http://wistinga.online.fr/safarp/) and uninstall them that way.

If the machines in your network need Java for certain application or certain websites. Tell them to ONLY go to those websites with IE. Then do all of the other browsing in Firefox with the "Quickjava" add-in installed with the J icon turned Red. Meaning Java is turned off in Firefox. Then it can do no harm.

Thank you very much, sir! Plus infinity internets to you! You are the man! Just what the doctor ordered! :doctor:

Thank you very much, sir! Plus infinity internets to you! You are the man! Just what the doctor ordered! :doctor:

Thanks, Glad someone takes Java seriously! :)

apparently, it's a serious concern, especially when people demand it....well guess what? I'm going to break a lot of people's hearts tomorrow...and I don't mean to be a douche about it or anything, I'm just sick of the malware, and it's got to be coming from somewhere...and that's the only thing I haven't thought of, as many of them use java quite frequently...and I prohibit flash already (thinking that may have been it)...well, not anymore. I hate to sound like this, but mwahahaha! I (hopefully) got 'em now! (at least, it will help!)

apparently, it's a serious concern, especially when people demand it....well guess what? I'm going to break a lot of people's hearts tomorrow...and I don't mean to be a douche about it or anything, I'm just sick of the malware, and it's got to be coming from somewhere...and that's the only thing I haven't thought of, as many of them use java quite frequently...and I prohibit flash already (thinking that may have been it)...well, not anymore. I hate to sound like this, but mwahahaha! I (hopefully) got 'em now! (at least, it will help!)

Also check to see what version they running on those machines. If they have the newest version they would have Version 6 #30 or Version 7. Anything less andthey have some unpatched Java exploits for sure. (meaning even the newest versions of java might have some zero days that aren't patched yet, but old versions of java are a sure thing).

Make sure to get back to us.

Wouldn't it be just easier to tell people not to download and install stuff they don't need? Blaming Java because the end-user is a moron is just ignorant :/

• 1 month later...

I've only just finished cleaning a friends machine of "Security Shield" from a driveby Google Images infection which I suspect was with the aid of Java. I wish Mozilla would prevent Java executing code on a local machine or at least prompt the user to allow/disallow a Java applet trying to execute, at least for noobs who have never heard of NoScript/Adblock or run trashy Mcafee Internet Security which sat by and did zilch while the scareware "Security Shield" took over.