Mozilla Firefox 9.0

The final release of Mozilla Firefox 9.0 is being pushed to the mirrors ahead of the official announcement tomorrow. If you're eager to get it already, download it under

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/9.0

View: Release notes (at the time of this writing for the beta - will change to final tomorrow)

By using the dates on their ftp site:

5.0 June 15

6.0 August 11

7.0 September 22

8.0 November 5

9.0 December 16

So I expect these to be the next release dates:

10.0 January 27, 2012

11.0 March 9, 2012

12.0 April 20, 2012

13.0 June 1, 2012

14.0 July 13, 2012

15.0 August 24, 2012

16.0 October 5, 2012

17.0 November 16, 2012

18.0 December 28, 2012

Gone is the x.1 release.... Now it's all BIG number, like everything they do, even if it's correcting bugs require a hole new number. It's a Google thing and now everybody is playing the same game. Big number must say "better".

Google Chrome, or Firefox, will never be installed in big enterprise, where rollout of new software is not something done quite as ofthen as they release new version.

Gone is the x.1 release.... Now it's all BIG number, like everything they do, even if it's correcting bugs require a hole new number. It's a Google thing and now everybody is playing the same game. Big number must say "better".

Google Chrome, or Firefox, will never be installed in big enterprise, where rollout of new software is not something done quite as ofthen as they release new version.

you got trolled :p

The difference is that Chrome is just called Google Chrome so no one cares while Firefox actually uses the numbering with it's name. If they want to copy Chrome then they need to stop mentioning the numbering because it looks really dumb to be jumping versions like this.

By using the dates on their ftp site:

5.0 June 15

6.0 August 11

7.0 September 22

8.0 November 5

9.0 December 16

So I expect these to be the next release dates:

10.0 January 27, 2012

11.0 March 9, 2012

12.0 April 20, 2012

13.0 June 1, 2012

14.0 July 13, 2012

15.0 August 24, 2012

16.0 October 5, 2012

17.0 November 16, 2012

18.0 December 28, 2012

Same goes to Chrome version too many already :bounce:

using this s*it. No changes at all compared with 8 or 7 or 6 or 5 or 4. Stupid transparent screen still there, just to let us know that the "hardware" "acceleration" was activated.

using this s*it. No changes at all compared with 8 or 7 or 6 or 5 or 4. Stupid transparent screen still there, just to let us know that the "hardware" "acceleration" was activated.

Relax no need to throw a temper tantrum over nothing, most of the changes are under the hood. i suggest waiting for the release

notes to see the changes.

eu ballot is the version that asks you if you want to install a different browser or something for EU anticompetition rules.

I wish mozilla would go to a 3 month release cycle and support each version to say v9.09 that way we could have a stable browser as 3.6.x is the only stable recent firefox build. When bugs are fixed they are put in the next browser version but new bugs are introduced so we will never have a stable browser. Atleast chrome releases multiple bug fix versions.

I can see mozilla users jumping in mass to chrome for this reason.

eu ballot is the version that asks you if you want to install a different browser or something for EU anticompetition rules. I wish mozilla would go to a 3 month release cycle and support each version to say v9.09 that way we could have a stable browser as 3.6.x is the only stable recent firefox build. When bugs are fixed they are put in the next browser version but new bugs are introduced so we will never have a stable browser. Atleast chrome releases multiple bug fix versions. I can see mozilla users jumping in mass to chrome for this reason.

I thought thats what it was but thought it was only MS who was forced to do that - or is this the version that IE downloads ?

eu ballot is the version that asks you if you want to install a different browser or something for EU anticompetition rules.

I wish mozilla would go to a 3 month release cycle and support each version to say v9.09 that way we could have a stable browser as 3.6.x is the only stable recent firefox build. When bugs are fixed they are put in the next browser version but new bugs are introduced so we will never have a stable browser. Atleast chrome releases multiple bug fix versions.

I can see mozilla users jumping in mass to chrome for this reason.

You talk like it is impossible to use Firefox.

Can someone please tell me how many of these new versions of Firefox have been released in the recent past, because I have lost count

Oh I don't know... There was 4.0 and OH then 5, 6, 7, 8 and what is this MADNESS? 9! Yes sir, they are counting upwards! I guess you couldn't keep track of more than 5 fingers either.(6 main version numbers, yes that is the answer to your question)

What is the problem? It is only a number. They could have went with 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 . The numbering does not mean squat. If everything goes as planned iI will be using Firefox (nightly) 12 tomorrow or the next day.

• Like 2

When bugs are fixed they are put in the next browser version but new bugs are introduced so we will never have a stable browser.

Thinking you'll ever reach a state where there are no bugs or stability issues is the same as believing in a fairytale. No piece of software is bug free.

The difference is that Chrome is just called Google Chrome so no one cares while Firefox actually uses the numbering with it's name. If they want to copy Chrome then they need to stop mentioning the numbering because it looks really dumb to be jumping versions like this.

ahhh, stop whining won't you? be grateful jeez, we are getting quality updates from mozilla, the same cannot be can be said about another browser....

• Like 2

If all you guys are not happy with all the updates to Firefox and chrome then why don't you all just stick with IE browsers which are not updated nearly as much?

It seems to me it's less about the updates, more that there is a shift in what is considered a "version" update. In the past, version updates were huge things. Nowadays companies seem to be changing the version number per significant feature, rather than a group of them.

I think it will take a while for people to come round, as version numbers have lost their significance nowadays.

Relax no need to throw a temper tantrum over nothing, most of the changes are under the hood. i suggest waiting for the release

notes to see the changes.

• Added Type Inference, significantly improving JavaScript performance (20~30%)
  • Improved theme integration for Mac OS X Lion
  • Added two finger swipe navigation for Mac OS X Lion
  • Added support for querying Do Not Track status via JavaScript
  • Added support for font-stretch
  • Improved support for text-overflow
  • Improved standards support for HTML5, MathML, and CSS
  • Fixed several stability issues

Most of it doesn't matter to you but of course , but addition of TypeInference means a lot , it improves performance :)

http://arewefastyet....=b&view=regress (compare black and blue)

Further , cheers of lion users!

using 3.6 right now, I dont see any reason at all to update. When html5 is need, opera works, fast and better.

You're all speaking as if version numbers have a meaning...

to them (firefox/mozilla), seems like