Creation of New, Deadly Virus Sparks Terror Fears

• 4 months later...

Science journal could give recipe for deadly avian flu virus

(CNN) -- A science journal is poised to publish a study that some experts believe could give a recipe to bioterrorists.

The study is from an experiment by a Dutch scientist who engineered the avian flu virus to make it more deadly to mammals by making it spread through the air.

That experiment was funded by the U.S. government, and it has sparked a passionate debate among scientists. Part of that debate is over where this research could lead, and whether it is worth it.

The National Institutes of Health and some scientists say it is worth it. They say it could ultimately protect mankind by trying to anticipate how the virus could mutate to one that causes a pandemic -- like the one in the film "Contagion."

The journal Nature just published the Wisconsin study. The journal Science is expected to publish Ron Fouchier's study within weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2...-flu/index.html

So because American don't own it or know about it the hole world is in trouble.

I bet if it was the other way around and the US made it, no one would care.

No, I'm pretty sure if the US made it then there would be a world wide uproar. If you haven't noticed, but other countries love to hate us.

Anyways these people are stupid, and now 2012 looks like its going to have a zombie apocalypse after all.

The powers that be want to lower the human population.

more than likely they created it to better understand it and then be able to great a vaccine for this and other strains...

"That experiment was funded by the U.S. government"

Big ****ing surprise that the Americans were behind this. :|

News Flash: Level III and Level IV labs around the world evolve microbes to get stronger strains as an aid in developing vaccines or researching treatments for future mutations that evolve in the real world. The French labs in Africa work extensively with (among others) Ebola, which makes this look like a head cold.

Honestly I think this is the sort of thing that's going to be the downfall of mankind. It's bad enough we have viruses like HIV/Aids, and mutations like Cancer, without idiotic scientists creating super virulent forms of already dangerous organisms.

Excpt that one of the other reasons for making virulent strains is an attempt to find countermeasures for similar strains developed by crazies like North Korea - and they are doing it. They have several bioweapon labs, confirmed by US, Russian and SK intel, and their biologists often trained in developed countries. Estimates are they have 2,500?5,000 metric tons of anthrax alone. It takes a few grams tops to attack a building.

REALLY?

Talk about loving your work too much!

Normally I'm all for open science etc, but this should have happened in way better controlled environments and BOY do you NOT want to publish that.

How stupid can you be?

Irresponsible a**hats...

Makes me lose my general calmness...

Glassed Silver:mac

I couldn't agree with you more. I would argue that research like this should never have even been done, but if done, it most certainly should have been controlled better (And most definitely not published!)... How irresponsible can you be?

Honestly I think this is the sort of thing that's going to be the downfall of mankind. It's bad enough we have viruses like HIV/Aids, and mutations like Cancer, without idiotic scientists creating super virulent forms of already dangerous organisms.

Agreed. All it takes is for something like this to get out in the wild one time and it's the end of society as we now know it.

If you knew how isolated BSL-4 labs are you wouldn't worry so much about things "getting out." It's like Andromeds Strain but without the mistakes and with many more decontamination steps.

The real worry is publication, but then if you have a PhD level virologist on staff who's willing you don't need much help

If you knew how isolated BSL-4 labs are you wouldn't worry so much about things "getting out." It's like Andromeds Strain but without the mistakes and with many more decontamination steps.

The real worry is publication, but then if you have a PhD level virologist on staff who's willing you don't need much help

I know the labs in the resident evil movie looked really safe and we all know how that turned out :rofl: