Feds issue warning to unconventional sperm donor

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ? A man from the San Francisco Bay area has fathered 14 children in the last five years through free sperm donations to women he meets through his website ? and is now in trouble with the federal government.

The case of Trent Arsenault of Fremont has drawn attention to the practice of informal sperm donation, which physicians and bioethicists call unsafe but some people say is a civil liberties issue.

Arsenault says he donates sperm out of a sense of service to help people who want to have children but can't afford conventional sperm banks. The 36-year-old minister's son has four more children on the way.

"I always had known through people praying at church that there's fertility issues," Arsenault told The Associated Press on Monday. "I thought it would just be a neat way of service to help the community."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sent Arsenault a cease-and-desist letter late last year telling him he must stop because he does not follow the agency's requirements for getting tested for sexually transmitted diseases within seven days before giving sperm. The FDA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Violators of FDA regulations on human cells and tissues face up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine, according to guidelines published on the agency's website.

Arsenault gets tested regularly, but following the FDA's rules would make it impossible to keep offering his sperm for free, he said.

more

So - he could do every gal in town and it's no problem, but do it in a cup as a gift of life and the Feds have to get involved?

There are better ways for them to spend their time.

Oh... snap, I thought no cup was involved! :p

Either way, let him do his thing.

No money? Stick your heads out.

Even if, cry me a river.

These women know what's up so it's up to him and them.

Glassed Silver:mac

So - he could do every gal in town and it's no problem, but do it in a cup as a gift of life and the Feds have to get involved?

There are better ways for them to spend their time.

Yep, this is the type of nonsense that we get when we give the federal government too much authority. Sperm is neither a food (well, in most cases) or a drug, so exactly why does the FDA have authority over who is allowed to donate it, and how they do that?

Oh... snap, I thought no cup was involved! :p

Ha, me too but alas, no...

"It's not that much more different than a couple knowing each other who want to have a baby," Arsenault said. "It's just from me it comes in a cup versus sex."

See the last line of the article

Ha, me too but alas, no... See the last line of the article

Ah ok, thanks!

Then may I laugh about this again? :p

"I thought it would just be a neat way of service to help the community."

Not just a nice service to you, but also yourself, right? :p

Glassed Silver:mac