The RIAA Pirated $9 Million Worth of TV Shows

The same RIAA that makes examples out of ordinary folks by suing them for millions of dollars for file sharing? Turns out someone there's been pirating full seasons of Dexter. Nine million dollars worth. Whoops!

That number?$150,000 for each of the 60 episodes illegally downloaded on the RIAA HQ ISP (OK?)?comes compliments of YouHaveDownloaded which logged the BitTorrent activity of some 50 million users and revealed that not only are the major movie studios pirating their own movies, but the RIAA is downloading pirated TV shows. Lots of 'em.

Again, this is the same RIAA that has been shaking down a Minnesota mother of four for $1.5 million over 24 songs she shared on Kazaa. And it turns out, they're being generous in that case! Since the statutory damages cited by its own guidelines are much higher:

? copyright holders can sue you for up to $150,000 in statutory damages for each of their copyrighted works that you illegally copy or distribute.

So let's see, $150k per episode times 60 episodes comes out to roughly... $9,000,000, checks payable to CBS.

Look, the RIAA's method of "enforcing" copyright law by suing people to oblivion is unfair. But to layer hypocrisy on top of that unfairness is just gross. How about you get your own house in order before you target your next Minnesota mom?

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5...ource=pulsenews

Source of source (:D ) : http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-and-homeland-security-caught-downloading-torrents-111217/

Aren't they torrenting them to find their victims IPs? I don't think they are actually getting the movies to watch them.

Doing something illegal to find others doing it is not legal...only government agencies (undercover drug buys etc) can escape this but its conditional and typically requires a warrant (such as wire taps etc)...so no, the RIAA can not do this as they are not a government organization.

And if it does hold up in court, I will start a cash laundering company to catch those who are cash laundering for my own self gain.

• Like 1

doesn't matter..they still committed the act of downloading them..which is what they claim is illegal..they should take themselves to court..kinda like when you your speeding and get a ticket for violating the law...same officer the next day is off duty the next day and is speeding and doesn't even get a slap on the hand. the law is the law my friend

Doing something illegal to find others doing it is not legal...only government agencies (undercover drug buys etc) can escape this but its conditional and typically requires a warrant (such as wire taps etc)...so no, the RIAA can not do this as they are not a government organization.

And if it does hold up in court, I will start a cash laundering company to catch those who are cash laundering for my own self gain.

exactly!

Aren't they torrenting them to find their victims IPs? I don't think they are actually getting the movies to watch them.

I don't think the RIAA have any oversight over movie or tv pirating - that would be the MPAA

It's a bit different as the RIAA likely has permission from the original copyright holders to do this. What they do is no different than what most of these anti-p2p companies do. BTW, they aren't "wiretapping", the information they record is all public. Even then, all they really have is an IP address.

Everyone's talking as if the RIAA, as a faceless company did this. More than likely this is the work of an individual employee downloading stuff for personal use. If they find out who it is you can be sure they'll be fired.

Heck, it could even be a hacker who used one of their servers as FTP.

And no one likes them already, so no need to throw dirt at them.

I also like that people forget that RIAA is just the music part :p (I realised it from someones post further up)

So no they would not have permission unless they really are/were the same as MPAA - that I do not know.

RIAA's defense?

RIAA: Someone Else Is Pirating Through Our IP-Addresses

A few days ago we reported that no less than 6 IP-addresses registered to the RIAA had been busted for downloading copyrighted material. Quite a shocker to everyone ? including the music industry group apparently ? as they are now using a defense previously attempted by many alleged file-sharers. It wasn?t members of RIAA staff who downloaded these files, the RIAA insists, it was a mysterious third party vendor who unknowingly smeared the group?s good name.

Uhh, your point might make sense if it was the MPAA that was doing this, but this was the RIAA. MPAA handles movies and TV, RIAA covers music.

Isn't that the same excuse that they routinely try to say doesn't matter in court? Don't they claim that people are responsible for whatever happens on their own network?