Mozilla Thunderbird 9.0 released

Thunderbird is a free email application that's easy to set up and customize - and it's loaded with great features!

What's New in Thunderbird 9.0

The latest version of Thunderbird has the following changes:

• Thunderbird is based on the new Mozilla Gecko 9 engine
  • New opt-in system for users to send performance and usability data back to Mozilla to improve future versions of Thunderbird
  • Additional support for Personas in the compose and address book windows
  • Better keyboard handling for attachments
  • Windows users can hide the menu bar (and show it with the "alt" key)
  • Several user interface fixes and improvements
  • Fixed several security issues

Link: Mozilla Thunderbird website

View: Release notes

Download: Mozilla Thunderbird 9.0 (for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)

To speed up the interface on low-end Windows systems,

1. Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced

2. Click "Config Editor..."

3. Find "gfx.direct2d.disabled" and make sure this is "true"

4. Find "layers.prefer-d3d9" and set this to "true"

5. Restart. Thunderbird should feel snappier now.

Does the interface on the windows version still look like someone vomited all over it?

It looks like the same old interface sans-menu bar. They layout of the messages and the preview pane is very dated. I realize that they don't want to copy Outlook's layout, but I would probably use Thunderbird over Outlook if they did :D

Have they actually put in any -EMAIL- features in the past... 2 years? Except for making the interface and adding new account process worse / more buggy than previously I can't remember a single significant change in TB since... forever. Talk about being left behind.

There are plenty of skilled designers there at mozilla still thunderbird looks like crap. :/

It looks like the same old interface sans-menu bar. They layout of the messages and the preview pane is very dated. I realize that they don't want to copy Outlook's layout, but I would probably use Thunderbird over Outlook if they did :D

Don't forget the incredibly ugly tabs and toolbar icons. The toolbar icons look like firefox 4 alpha.

Really how hard would it be to update the toolbar icons, and copy the firefox button for the menu?

Looks like it could really use a major overhaul to the UI. I do like the way it handles Gmail so much faster than Outlook. But before I could ever switch to it as a default mail app, they would have to add a basic, integrated calendar function. I know you can add in Sunbird / Lightning, but I'd like to see it become a more tightly integrated part of Thunderbird.

Looks like it could really use a major overhaul to the UI. I do like the way it handles Gmail so much faster than Outlook. But before I could ever switch to it as a default mail app, they would have to add a basic, integrated calendar function. I know you can add in Sunbird / Lightning, but I'd like to see it become a more tightly integrated part of Thunderbird.

Developers said it is not needed, or if you really think they should, file on bugzilla for it, or it you are desperate, code it yourself since it is open sourced. But as far as i can tell none of the Dev gives a shxt.

On Mac, You should just use sparrow.