What do you do when a game gets ridiculously difficult on a level?

When I get stuck in games I'll usually try and stick with it until I have accomplished whatever it is I needed. If I spend too much time on it then I'll start checking out some online videos to see if there's any trick to it that I might be missing. Often times I've found myself making it harder than it needs to be and a simple video will offer that different perspective that I needed.

I generally resfuse to use cheats (exception being games like GTA where I may use a weapon loadout cheat) and I also prefer not to drop the difficulty down. I generally choose the harder difficulties for more of a challenge so knocking it down as soon as I get stuck seems to be pointless, if I wanted it easy I would've started at that difficulty from the get go.

Often when I also play on a harder difficulty I had already completed it on an easier one so knowing what to expect takes away a fair bit of the challenge. After that it's just a matter of being smart about the choices you make as the consequences will often be that much worse when the difficulty gets ramped up.