Annoyed with BT/Openreach

Okay, thought I'd give an update...

We finally got our connection switched on the 1st Febuary which is great, the speeds aren't fantastic at only around 6.5/0.9mbit, good news also that BT are going to compensate us for making us wait so long, they never said what that would be but tomorrow my mum is going to ask for BT Infinity (completely unlimited) because that's what we wanted in the first place but couldn't place the order until the connection was up.

Thank you every for any advice! :D

6.5/0.9mbit ?

That is barely ADSL speeds, Infinity have a minimum speed they have to connect you at or not at all, tell them its not working, you should be getting 40/10 or there about, but definitely over 20meg down

6.5/0.9mbit ?

That is barely ADSL speeds, Infinity have a minimum speed they have to connect you at or not at all, tell them its not working, you should be getting 40/10 or there about, but definitely over 20meg down

He is on ADSL, He said they aer going to ask for infinity lol

6.5/0.9mbit ?

You are very lucky getting 40 Mbps in the UK. In Australia we are supposed to be able to get up to 24 Mbps on ADSL2. But even under the best conditions we never seem to get more than 13 Mbps. Personally I find this fast enough to download the Internet onto my hard drive. :woot:

The gummint are trying to put in FTN (Fibre-optic To Node) which sounds like your FTTC. They have a program called the National Broadband Network which they think will cost in excess of AU$40, 000, 000, 000. That's about GBP 27,185, 000, 000 give or take a few cubits.

The problem with the NBN is the sheer scale of it. By the time they're finished, it will all be obsolete. If only those guys had read Neuromancer or watched Minority Report to see how things could be done.

• 1 year later...

I actually Googled what I was looking for and came across this thread. I wanted to know that in new build houses I was looking round one. They have one of those Openreach Sockets. But If I wanted to get Virgin Media in this house is this quite easy to do? Do I just not need to use the socket and give VM a ring to arrange them to come install it and set up a contract. 

Chuck, if it's on a new part of a road/new street Virgin will not cable it as it's not in their interest as it's not commercially viable to send out cable technicians to lay fiber (there is no allowances for companies to put down third party fibre, BT or Sky/Virgin when the copper lines are installed).

Further more, if they install a new 'Green Box' to route the phone lines, it'll likely not have BT Infinity, even if the rest of the area has.

Damn so what your saying is if I have seen one of these BT Openreach boxes in the new property there's no change of getting VM installed? I have suffered at the hands of BT (Old Crappy Copper Wires that are the flakiest of the flakiest) for years and now :-(

The best way to determine if you can get Virgin Media is look around the path outside the front of your home for a tiny drain which says on it "CATV", "NTL" or "VirginMedia". This is what they install the coax cable from to your home to get you connected.

BT's standard twisted copper socket will be the norm installed in your home, you cannot get Virgin Medias fibre network on this, you can however use Virgin Medias slower (much slower) DSL service run through BT's network.

The unlikely-hood of a new build property more or less wont have access to Virgins cable network. If however older homes nearby can access Virgins fibre network, you can email the "Cable My Street" team at cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk and they'll provide you with an answer if they can extend their fibre network to your home.

Well see been a big corporate customer at work I was told we could have BIG discounts, I was naturally excited by this lol! So I will contact my accounts manager for VM see if its there I guess. 

VM requires a cable connection to the property, when our property was built it came with both a bt phone line and a port for diamond cable (as it was called when this house was built), since Diamond Cable became NTL and then VM we had no trouble using that line to sign up for cable broadband. If the only connection to your property is BT you may be stuck with either BT Infinity or VMs ADSL service.