Manually uninstalled VS 2010, which of this extra junk goes with it?

Question

I had visual studio 2010 installed on a machine at work, but recently moved it to another machine. I uninstalled from the first one, but it didn't remove everything. I do have SQL Server 2008 installed as well, for database work, so I don't want to touch that but I'm sure some of this other junk belonged to VS (like the SQL compact Edition, for example)

Anyone know what other stuff I can remove?

post-26332-0-37818500-1324808045.png

7 answers to this question

You could get rid of the SQL Server Compact stuff definitely. You might be able to get rid of the C++ stuff but it's possible that you have other software installed that's relying on it so I'd probably just leave it. The C++ runtimes shouldn't take up too much space anyway and they won't do anything until they're called from another application so they shouldn't cause you any harm.

It would be nice if MS did a better job of tidying up after themselves during a VS uninstall.

It would be nice if MS did a better job of tidying up after themselves during a VS uninstall.

Yeah no sh*t. I had to manually remove the directories left over, as wel as some of the other crap. I found an article on MS's site about what to manually remove, but even THAT doesn't cover everything, as I found some other junk as well. I'll get rid of the SQL CE stuff, figured that was in there...its hard to tell when I compare to the new install though because who knows what was on there before and what was part of the install. I agree, the C++ runtime stuff doesn't consume too much space, but what about the SQL Server CLR types and stuff...is that related to 2k8 or no?

Yeah no sh*t. I had to manually remove the directories left over, as wel as some of the other crap. I found an article on MS's site about what to manually remove, but even THAT doesn't cover everything, as I found some other junk as well. I'll get rid of the SQL CE stuff, figured that was in there...its hard to tell when I compare to the new install though because who knows what was on there before and what was part of the install. I agree, the C++ runtime stuff doesn't consume too much space, but what about the SQL Server CLR types and stuff...is that related to 2k8 or no?

Yes, I think the CLR stuff comes from your full SQL Server installation.

This is an example of an underlying problem with the platform. It's the same with Linux too. Too many stray dependencies that just lie around freely. Mac OS does a better job at this as far as I have seen, but I may be wrong because I am still new to Mac OS.

The way the OSes are evolving, consumers won't have to deal with these stupid dependencies anymore, but there's still a long way to go in terms of making developers's lives easier.

Maybe if you run the setup (the one you used to install the vs 2010) again you will find the option to uninstall?

I tried that, it said it already uninstalled everything, but it rarely does. TBH my company is guilty of the same thing, our "uninstaller" leaves behind whole directories, or sometimes just removes the icons but not the files.

Why uninstall everthing? it is not causing any harm? How did it go with the strange people coming to your house, still waiting for a followup on that one :).

dunno...they stopped coming by. Although the other day 2 guys came to my door trying to sell newspaper subscriptions, they wanted cash or a check without a persons name on it. I told them there was no way I was going to write a check that was not addressed to someone, and that I didn't carry cash, but if they came back the next day, I'd be happy to do it...they never came back. losers.

It's good to be somewhat paranoid of people coming to your door, this day in age, do you really know what people are going to try and do?

The files aren't really causing any harm, but the OS drive that it's installed on is a 64GB SSD, so space is kinda a premium, every little bit helps.