LCD TV or Plasma TV

in what possible way ? read my previous replies.

Lifetime is a lot longer, they're highly energy sufficient...just a bit more price wise. But, it's up to you I would shop around and compare LCD, LED and Plasma's by quality of picture

Lifetime is a lot longer, they're highly energy sufficient...just a bit more price wise. But, it's up to you I would shop around and compare LCD, LED and Plasma's by quality of picture

Lifetimes the same, plasma, lcd(shorter actually) and led, actually led could be shorter, but they haven't been on the market long enough. But technically they should be the same as plasma.

They're more energy efficient, but not as much as the tests say. Since they use the max value at the back of the tv. Basically over the lifetime of the set, you'll never make up the cost of a decent LED over a plasma in energy usage.

Of course for the cost of running a 60 watt light bulb you sacrifice a lot of PQ.

Oh, btw bout 3D I forgot something earlier.

Panasonic plasma is the only 3D tv that have virtually no crosstalk. Meaning they're the only tv sets I'd consider watching any 3d on. If you've tried 3d at a store on the high end samsungs and sony's you've probably notice the annoying shadows around everything. Basically the same double image you see when cross your eyes. Panasonic plasmas don't have this. Much thanks to their high refresh.

I've bought the Samsung plasma for ?329.99 GBP.

You should have waited.

Amazon's Boxing Day deals week will soon have the Samsung PS50C7000 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Internet Plasma TV with Freeview HD on sale (at 8:00pm). It's priced at ?902.80 at the moment, but will go down to about ?500 when it comes in to sale. The previous ones have.

There's something that puts me off plasma TV's compared with LEDs. Don't you have to be careful about leaving images paused on the screen because of burn in? They also run pretty hot and don't you have to be careful when touching the screen as you can damage it easily?

Shame the above TV doesn't come in an LED version, then I would have snapped it up for sure!

There's something that puts me off plasma TV's compared with LEDs. Don't you have to be careful about leaving images paused on the screen because of burn in? They also run pretty hot and don't you have to be careful when touching the screen as you can damage it easily?

Does no one read previous replies at all.

And no, you don't. Again.

More expensive to run though compared with LED?

If Plasma was so great, why are the majority of TV's LCD / LED?

Because Plasma used to have issues with bright rooms and reflections. and because only Panasonic makes good panels, Samsung makes decent ones and LG makes decent ones. But samsugn and LG generally prefer to sell the LCD's they make more money on.

And yes, a plasma will use more power than a LED, but at average about 60 watts, maybe less. (remember Plasma's don't use the full power value at the back all the time like a LCD/LED will, in fact it generally averages about half that). BUT with a LED costing so much more to buy. you're going to buy a new TV long before the Plasma gets more expensive in total.

Lifetimes the same, plasma, lcd(shorter actually) and led, actually led could be shorter, but they haven't been on the market long enough. But technically they should be the same as plasma.

You forgot to take into account that if an LCD tv has issues (for example, the backlight dies), it can be fixed. If you have issues with a plasma, you're probably SOL.

But yes, you're right that the lifespan is the same between them all. There's no proof that a plasma will outlast an LCD, and inversely likewise.

I have to agree with everything HawkMan has said here, my 5-6 year old Pannasonic Plasma looks and performs better than my dad's LED tv hands down. I am looking at getting a new one come tax time and I will be picking up a Plasma for sure. As for the burn-in, I play a lot of Forza and the tach does burn-in after a few hours of gaming but playing a movie after or another game it goes right away. I have even left a dvd running over night on the menu and it burned it but after playing the movie or playing something else it went away.

You forgot to take into account that if an LCD tv has issues (for example, the backlight dies), it can be fixed. If you have issues with a plasma, you're probably SOL.

But yes, you're right that the lifespan is the same between them all. There's no proof that a plasma will outlast an LCD, and inversely likewise.

I think with the current set of TVs (plasma, lcd, led) if something went wrong...you will be SOL. I know my friends older LCD has a easily changeable CCFL (or maybe HCFL) that can be changed (sort of like the bulbs in a projector). Now days, you would have to take your TV to a repair man or just junk it.

More expensive to run though compared with LED?

If Plasma was so great, why are the majority of TV's LCD / LED?

I believe that LCD/LED is cheaper to produce? I know Pioneer was losing money on their TVs which is why the pulled out of the market. Sad day indeed...and even today people are using the Pioneer Kuros as their benchmark for the current crop of TVs. After almost 3 years, some TVs have came close but none have surpassed the Kuro in terms of picture quality.

I have to agree with everything HawkMan has said here, my 5-6 year old Pannasonic Plasma looks and performs better than my dad's LED tv hands down. I am looking at getting a new one come tax time and I will be picking up a Plasma for sure. As for the burn-in, I play a lot of Forza and the tach does burn-in after a few hours of gaming but playing a movie after or another game it goes right away. I have even left a dvd running over night on the menu and it burned it but after playing the movie or playing something else it went away.

Correct term would be "image retention", not burn in. But yea, plasma's today will have to be severely abused for burn in occurs.

Basically if you want the best picture get a plasma. If you want a slightly cheaper electric bill, thinner display and a bright (overly bright) display...LCD/LED.

I cannot stand plamsas at all. Every model, except for the good old Kuro's which are no long available have video noise in them which cannot be removed even with calibration. Go walk up to one and look closley at the pixel field, you will see artifacts in the background. Granted it is next to impossible to see them from afar but I do not want them in my field of view at all. For those saying calibration is not needed need to read a little more as well. You do need at least 200 hours burn in time before performing a true calibration, which requires optical sensor and software to properly calibrate. There is Joe Kane video calibration and others out there but they do not do true calibration. As for glare, Plasmas are the worst, I installed a 60" Panasonic the other day and it was sooo bad. I rather go with LED panels because I do not see any video noise like I do on all Plasmas I have seen in the market. Bottom line is, go with what you like best, it is too bad Kuro's are no longer around because those Plasmas did pwn everything.

One more thing to add, Plasmas do have a one leg up on LED TV's which do not have localized dimming. But if you get a LED panel that does have localized dimming, its an all out win.

You should have waited.

Amazon's Boxing Day deals week will soon have the Samsung PS50C7000 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Internet Plasma TV with Freeview HD on sale (at 8:00pm). It's priced at ?902.80 at the moment, but will go down to about ?500 when it comes in to sale. The previous ones have.

Shame the above TV doesn't come in an LED version, then I would have snapped it up for sure!

50" would be too big for my room. The further you are the better the quality with plasmas' and 43" inch is just about right for my sitting-room.

I cannot stand plamsas at all. Every model, except for the good old Kuro's which are no long available have video noise in them which cannot be removed even with calibration. Go walk up to one and look closley at the pixel field, you will see artifacts in the background. Granted it is next to impossible to see them from afar but I do not want them in my field of view at all. For those saying calibration is not needed need to read a little more as well. You do need at least 200 hours burn in time before performing a true calibration, which requires optical sensor and software to properly calibrate. There is Joe Kane video calibration and others out there but they do not do true calibration. As for glare, Plasmas are the worst, I installed a 60" Panasonic the other day and it was sooo bad. I rather go with LED panels because I do not see any video noise like I do on all Plasmas I have seen in the market. Bottom line is, go with what you like best, it is too bad Kuro's are no longer around because those Plasmas did pwn everything.

One more thing to add, Plasmas do have a one leg up on LED TV's which do not have localized dimming. But if you get a LED panel that does have localized dimming, its an all out win.

techncially the major difference between Panasonic Plasma's in the 3 major price classes are 1: user settings 2: glare coating and 3: built in software/smartTV features.

the cheap panasonics give the same excellent picture the high end ones do, only with less settings and crappier glare coating. which is fine for those who don't need it. Which leads me to suspect you either set up something that wasn't panasonic,or it was their cheap crap end model. Since their mid and high end model has better glare than LED's do. since LED's and LCD's today suffer the same glare issues since they are all glossy. The difference is that it's more annoying on LED/LCD since the plastic screen is "wavy" giving the glare an even more annoying non uniform look.

As for matte screens, They give you washed out colors. the glare is still there. except since they are matte, that reflection is now, instead of a perfect little bright spot/window in the corner, a bright white smudge ALL over the screen making it impossible to see anything at all anywhere.

As for Video noise, I have no clue what you're talking about, have not seen it. But I suspect you're referring to noise or background that's on the ACTUAL movie, that LED's masks because of their horrible detail level in dark areas. meaning Plasma's give you a more accurate picture there, the noise is supposed to be there. and if it's a Samsung, the noise is probably also removed by their horrible and un-toggleable edge sharpening and de-noise algortihms... ugh... they make people look like cartoon characters with the black sharp edges around everything.

and unless you're a serious movie buff you don't need to do any serious calibration, even then you're not going to notice a difference, except placebo, from running in cinema mode with some easy calibration to tone the colors correctly. But then, on Plasma's you at least CAN get the colors toned correctly, unlike Sony and Samsung plasma's who's decided that everythign shoudl be showed in "cold" tones.

Hawk it was a panasonic TC-P60GT30 which is not garbage by any means. It also depends on the room and we all know, not every home is the same. I will update my clarification on calibration, on a high end plasma or LED, LCD, Laservue, DLP, etc I would do a calibration any day of the week. On lower end models I would not, because I doubt anyone could really tell the difference on lower quality hardware. As for noise it is really easy to see a foot away from any Plasma panel, put on a trailer, and it is noticable. It is not like anyone would be watching a plasma that close anyways but it drives me crazy. Sometime you will see very small green dots the fluctuate throughout the pixel field. This has nothing to do with junk NR filter or edge enhancement options. I never saw these in the Kuro's but have seen this in all other major plasma manufatures. I guess you could say I am a serious video buff and most people who not even notice this, which is true. Bottom line, it all comes down to personal preference, mine happens to lie in other technology besides plasmas.

I find no such option in the menu of my Samsung 3D plasma TV, could you please shed some light on this issue.....Thanks. [Edit] It's a Samsung 550 series.

Not all plasmas have anti-burn technology... Some of Plasmas have 'anti-burn ready' which you don't need menu for that...

It's my understanding that LEDs put LCD at least on par with Plasma in terms of quality. I also believe the big thing with Plasma is the black levels you can get. Someone please correct me, if Im wrong. Really, I don't see much of a difference. I find Plasmas are still a fair bit cheaper so that would be my choice.

It's my understanding that LEDs put LCD at least on par with Plasma in terms of quality. I also believe the big thing with Plasma is the black levels you can get. Someone please correct me, if Im wrong. Really, I don't see much of a difference. I find Plasmas are still a fair bit cheaper so that would be my choice.

No a LED nd a regular LCD is exactly the same PQ wise. Except LED usually nowadays use more expensive panels because they are more expensive to start with. So the LCD companies are phasing out LCD so people cant get the same picture for cheper. In fact LCD had better PQ. More uniform backlight and far less edge bleed.

The only LED that came close was RGB back lit. Which Sony made for a short time, but it was way to expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

It was my understanding that LCD was more cost effective, but poor at showing fast moving images such as sports. And Plasma was more expensive, but had better picture, but prone to screen burn.

No no, that's just utter non-sense. Both technologies get dimmer with time, but it will only be noticeable after a very substantial amount of usage. We're talking decades of casual usage before it would be noticeable. Absolutely not 5 years. No need to spread lies...

The only real advantage of LCD over plasma is that it uses much less power and the chassis can be smaller and more suitable for hanging on a wall. To some people, those are two very important advantages.

But most importantly, it comes down to brand. If you buy a crappy branded plasma or LCD, it will probably get sub-par performance and life.

Agree w/u!!! :)

It was my understanding that LCD was more cost effective, but poor at showing fast moving images such as sports. And Plasma was more expensive, but had better picture, but prone to screen burn.

Ummm yeah10 years ago

Today, the fact are

Plasma

Faster refresh

Better contrast and color

Better color depth

Cheaper

Completely black black level

No screen burn, possible retention after a LONG time.

LED/LCD

thinner and lighter for led

Less power consumption. But no more than a 40-60w lightbulb

If plasma's are so good, why is the current favourite for sellers and buyers LED/LCD?

Cheap - push the cheap stuff over expensive. Sales 101.

On Black Friday I wanted to get a Samsung 51" Plasma but missed out on it, Ended up getting a LG LED instead because the other plasmas left was just too much $$$. The TV i have now i am very satisfied, I am not some crazy videophile however but I'm enjoying it :D If nothing else i love how it's so thing, it's mounted now and looks great.