Mother saves family in Christmas fire

A YOUNG family were blessed by their own Christmas miracle yesterday when they dramatically escaped a blaze that swept through ? and devastated ? their home in the early hours.

Thanks to the heroics of their mother and neighbours, three children are alive today. Despite a raging fire and thick black smoke, Vivienne Kellet (28) passed her children Ellen (10), Thomas (3) and Eric (six months) through a tiny upstairs window into the arms of waiting neighbours, before being rescued herself. The children are today recovering in hospital.

Vivienne was put in an induced coma by hospital staff after her heroics but is believed to be recovering well with just some superficial burns.

Yesterday, her mother Joan told the Irish Independent: "I was talking to the doctor in the hospital and he said it was a miracle they got out".

The Christmas Day drama began at about 3.30am when the fire broke out at Kellet home in the Knockmore estate at Tallaght, Dublin.

Friends and neighbours -- alerted by smoke alarms and screaming -- rushed from their beds to the back of the terraced house.

But a potential tragedy was averted, largely thanks to the help of neighbours Robert Finn, brothers David and Raymond Fitzgerald and their parents John and Carmel who all helped in the dramatic rescue.

"I heard her screaming and I looked out the window," Mr Finn said yesterday.

"I didn't panic; nothing went through my head. You just do what you do. I have never felt heat like that in my life."

Vivienne had already brought her three children -- including six-month-old Eric -- to a window at the back of the house.

In chaotic scenes, Mr Finn, wearing just boxer shorts and socks, clambered up on a small extension at the back of the house and reached the small window.

He grabbed the children and passed them down to neighbour.

more

Strange that they would put her in an induced coma for Superficial burns (unless there were other injuries not listed)

Strange that they would put her in an induced coma for Superficial burns (unless there were other injuries not listed)

Depends on how 'superficial' they were, I guess. I've heard that's the worst pain a person can feel... Or maybe something was damaged due to inhalation, who knows. Maybe to protect her from further damage while something was being fixed... Just glad she is OK and that she was able to save her family.