Should I Wait for the SIII?

63 members have voted

1. 1. The Galaxy SIII or the Nexus?

• Galaxy SIII
    • Nexus

I've found myself with a bit of a problem. Having read this thread, it would seem that the Samsung Galaxy SIII could be launched in February. I've read this article about a week before I have plans to go to the phone store and buy a Galaxy Nexus phone.

Obviously this question is slightly difficult since we don't have definite specs for the SIII, but I still figure it's worth asking for Neowin's opinion. Is it worth waiting for the Galaxy SIII, or should I just buy the Nexus?

There isn't a wrong answer as far as I'm concerned, but I would appreciate it if you could provide reasons for your opinion.

You can imagine a quad-core processor in GS III, which is unlikely in my opinion, but some analyst are saying GS III will be equipped with Exynos quad-core chipsets.

Personally, I would prefer, Galaxy Nexus

The problem here is "Could" we don't know if it is going to be released in Feb so you could be waiting even longer

Base your decision on what you know for fact is coming out soon or what is available now

We also don't know the specs, and whilst this year we expect to see quad core phones this might not be, and since Samsung is under pressure to deliver a device better than the S2 which was better than the S you can expect it to be better, but you could also expect them to miss the mark just as much

I think U should buy a Meizu MX http://www.engadget....eizu-mx-review/

I have Meizu M8 and M9 and I love them

Having said in my original post that there is no wrong answer, I'm surprised to have been proven wrong.

The choice is between the two phones, The Samsung Galaxy SIII and the Galaxy Nexus. I've already done my own research in to other phones, and I've settled on one of these two.

Having said in my original post that there is no wrong answer, I'm surprised to have been proven wrong.

The choice is between the two phones, The Samsung Galaxy SIII and the Galaxy Nexus. I've already done my own research in to other phones, and I've settled on one of these two.

Nexus

If the nexus looks like a good phone to you then get the nexus. Is there anything you wish it could do that it doesn't do? If so then it might be worth waiting.

You can always sell the nexus to offset the cost of an s3 if you want it when it comes out.

It seems to me that you'll be waiting for a phone that may or may not come out in the first quarter of 2012 and you don't even know what features it will have. As far as I know the rumours only suggest it will be *announced* in February not actually released then.

The release for S3 is speculated to be in the first quarter of 2012. It is also speculated that more details will be provided in February, which doesn't mean they will.

If you need a phone now, then get the Nexus. If you can wait and would rather see what the S3 brings, then wait and see what the S3 brings :)

Otherwise you can always be waiting for the next best thing. With these things, you either get something you like at the time and stick with it, or you can constantly be updating it with the next big thing that is just around the corner and about to be launched.

Since Feb is so close i'd just wait anyways, if it was may or june then i'd just say screw it. Then again I have a SGS2 now and I don't feel like i need to upgrade. I switched like 4 phones after I upgraded from the Nexus One till i found this phone and good with it now. It went Nexus S, Samsung Focus (WP7), HTC Desire HD and something else I'm forgetting now then i got this phone. This is within a 4-6 month period. LOL

Hmm...they're all good points, but I think the winning arguments for me are pushing me towards the Nexus still. As Hardcore Til I Die said, I can always get the Nexus now and then sell it later on to offset the price of the SIII if I choose to go and buy it.

I just gave u a tip on a good phone. I know that the topic is about S3 or Nexus

While that might be true, your suggestion is the equivalent of someone asking, "which graphics card should I get to upgrade my PC, X or Y?" and someone responding with "Get a Mac." Sure, the Mac is a decent system, but it wasn't relevant to the topic at hand.

Not that it matters anymore. As I mentioned above, I've decided to stick with my plan of getting the Nexus.

Hmm...they're all good points, but I think the winning arguments for me are pushing me towards the Nexus still. As Hardcore Til I Die said, I can always get the Nexus now and then sell it later on to offset the price of the SIII if I choose to go and buy it.

The only problem is that the resale value of android phones is not like iPhones; the prices drop considerably. Something you should take into account. Do research on eBay to see what the phone will sell for.

You've done your "research" into the SIII? Really? It's all rumour and supposition at this stage so I can't imagine what "research" you have done.

Also if the rumours hold true, it's only being revealed/announced in February. There's no guarantee you'll be able to buy it for weeks, if not months after that.

Why not just wait till you're ready to buy, and make your decision based on what is available at the time, and not make it based purely on guesswork months in advance.

The only problem is that the resale value of android phones is not like iPhones; the prices drop considerably. Something you should take into account. Do research on eBay to see what the phone will sell for.

If that was the only reason for buying a device then i'd never buy it. As soon as you open the box some value is lost. You are supposed to buy something because it's what you want, not because it's what's cool or has the higest resale value, well unless you are a business person looking to make the most for your investment which in that case it would be. I bought several Android devices and pretty much sold them for exactly what I paid for them, almost 1yr later. In some cases I made a profit. I bought the Nexus One for $375 in box a few months after it came out, sold it for $350 several months later. Bought a HTC Inspire (Desire HD) for $300 - traded that for an iPhone 4. Sold the iPhone 4 for $400 then used that $400 and added some extra cash to buy the SGS2 I have now. So in that sense yeah you can make money for it but that shouldn't be your main goal in buying a device. I generally only keep phones ~1yr anyways so by then the value is still pretty much up there.

As of right now on ebay, I see SGS2 devices going for $475 with 1hr to go so if the last bit goes over $500-550 then basically it's still the same price I got mine for. :D When I got mine, they were selling for $650-700 still so I got a great deal and that's how you are supposed to do it in the first place.