TSA confiscate Cupcake at airport, deemed security risk

Seen quite a few TSA stories on hear and just found this today - thought I'd share (I did search to see if it had already been posted).

An American woman had her cupcake confiscated after airport officials deemed it a security risk.

Rebecca Hains of Massachusetts had to hand over the sweet treat due to its "gel-like" icing, which security personnel claimed violated restrictions on the use of liquids or gels.

The incident occurred at an airport in Las Vegas as Hains attempted to return home to Boston.

She had cleared all security checks on her outward journey, even though she had two cupcakes in her possession at the time.

Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez told The Mirror that his agency is reviewing the situation.

He confirmed that airline passengers are allowed to take items like cakes and cupcakes through security checkpoints.

Source: Digital Spy

I just can't quite grasp how a cupcake is a security risk?

I imagine this is being blown out of proportion because of the 'humor' factor of the item being a cupcake, letting readers scoff and snort and roll their eyes as they collectively shake their heads at the TSA.

Frankly, all sorts of food/beverages are barred at security checkpoints. You won't see an article like this make any splash in the headlines if it involved a bottle of something or a yogurt stick. Instead, we sit here, never actually SEEING the cupcake and never actually knowing what was suspicious-looking about the frosting, judging the outcome as if we were not only magically appointed jury--but the most uninformed jury possible.

I imagine this is being blown out of proportion because of the 'humor' factor of the item being a cupcake, letting readers scoff and snort and roll their eyes as they collectively shake their heads at the TSA.

Frankly, all sorts of food/beverages are barred at security checkpoints. You won't see an article like this make any splash in the headlines if it involved a bottle of something or a yogurt stick. Instead, we sit here, never actually SEEING the cupcake and never actually knowing what was suspicious-looking about the frosting, judging the outcome as if we were not only magically appointed jury--but the most uninformed jury possible.

It was suspicious because it was icing and not sprinkles! *le gasp*