SC woman sues bar for not checking her ID

BLUFFTON, S.C. (AP) -- A woman is suing a Bluffton bar because a bartender didn't check her age before serving her :huh: on the night of the 2009 wreck that paralyzed her.

The Beaufort Gazette reports that Chelsea Hess, who was then 20 years old, is a paraplegic because of the accident.

Hess' lawsuit in 14th Circuit Court says she was served at Jock's Sports Grill, but the bartender failed to check her ID or to determine if she was already drunk.

She's also suing the state Department of Transportation, saying the agency failed to properly maintain the shoulder of the road where her car crashed.

Both the company that owns the bar and the DOT denied Hess' claims in court papers.

Lawyers for both say Hess is responsible for her accident. :o

source

So she knowingly bought a drink, knowing it was wrong for her to do so. She drove a vehicle knowing she was intoxicated. And now she is suffering the consequences of her action, its someone else's fault?

There are no words to describe just how messed up this is. Take responsibility for your own actions FFS.

Who does that these days?

Ugh. I would never say or even think anybody deserves to have an accident or be paralysed, but if someone were to come close to it, this girl would be the candidate.

That being said, the bar will probably have to pay a fine or get in some kind of trouble for serving an underage person, yeah. But not be sued, or be involved with the responsibility of her car crash.

Apparently this is the American way now. Sue for our own mistakes, because clearly, it can't possibly be "my" fault, so it must be someone else's.

So she knowingly bought a drink, knowing it was wrong for her to do so. She drove a vehicle knowing she was intoxicated. And now she is suffering the consequences of her action, its someone else's fault?

Welcome to the America of today :pacifier:

• Like 2

I can see her winning against the bar. It is the tavern's responsibility to validate the drinking age. Failure to do so led to her intoxicated state. The bar should pay minimal as it was HER choice to drive while impaired. The only thing they are guilty of is serving to a minor.

As for the road, in my state the impaired driver is 100% at fault. If you're drunk and driving through an intersection and a sober person drives through a red light and smashes into you, the drunk is 100% responsible. The drunk should not have been on the road therefore the light-runner would have had not hit them.

I came in here expecting something like this

BLUFFTON, S.C. (AP) -- A woman is suing a Bluffton bar because a bartender didn't check her age before serving her.

The Beaufort Gazette reports that Chelsea Hess was then 20 years old.

Hess' lawsuit in 14th Circuit Court says she was served at Jock's Sports Grill, but the bartender failed to check her ID.

Lawyer say Hess is responsible.

source

Now that edited story I just posted, I would completly agree with and would be smart to get some cash.

The original story? I wont comment as I might get a warning.

I guess if you rob a bank, and happened to get shot, you should also sue. :laugh:

It's happend, just like burglars have sued for getting stuck in chimneys, falling through roof, and getting beat up with clubs. And even more screwed up is the burgers have won

They couldn't rob you outside of the law, so they rob you with the law, it's new American way

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the 'victim' (using the term loosely) in this case. If you're stupid enough to get into an accident because of drunk driving, bear the consequences - as harsh as they may be for Ms. Hess.

For those of you who think this is something new here in the U.S. you need to do a little studying. I remember back in the 50's when the same thing was happening. The only problem is the idiots attempting to sue usally lost. Once the ALCU got involve in the late 60's you started to see more of what is happening today.

So, are we to assume she would have had her normal ID on her, which would have led to her being rejected a drink. Or more likely she had a fake and would have been served anyway.