Benefits of jailbreaking an iPhone 4?

I just bought a black iPhone 4. I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I am wondering, though: what are the benefits of jailbreaking my device? Can it even be done? I am running iOS 5.0.1.

Yes, you can jailbreak iOS v5.0.1 using the latest redsn0w v0.9.10b3.

Advantages are that it allows you to explore outside of Apple's ring-fencing with alternative app stores. You don't lose anything by jailbreaking. ;)

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

for one, multitasking gestures on the iphone ( as of now, they're only available on the iPad).

For me... Ultrasn0w unlock, use with any carrier :)

SBSettings.

Basically jailbreaking allow you to install third party apps that changes the system more so than those in the app store. Here are some of my favorites.

Bitesms - makes text messaging a whole lot better. At first I was skeptical, but now can't live without it. Quick Reply is a godsend!

3G Unrestrictor - tricks the iPhone into thinking it is on WiFi instead of 3G so you can Facetime or watch high quality YouTube.

SBSettings - basically add toggles to your notification bar. Had this since the first jailbreak on my iPod Touch 1G, can't live without. Basically almost like those Android toggles if you ever used one.

WinterBoard - allows endless customization. I personally uninstall it on iOS5 because it creates a small amount of lag on my 3GS.