Neowin Digital Gallery - Yearly Edition 2012

Welcome to the Neowin photo gallery (now yearly, as voted by Neowin members!)! Here you can post your pictures and discuss your photography techniques.

Please be mindful of our members on dial-up and try to keep the dimensions of the pics and the size of the files to a respectable size for 1024 x 768 viewers. Please refrain from quoting images in your replies.

I will also ask that you link to images on your own space, as much as possible.

Try to put more details from your camera settings (EXIF) and also talk about what you have done with photoshop (or similar).

There are a lot of photographers here that like your editing skills and would like to learn more.

The previous thread can be found here.

Posting your photos is made easier thanks to a member contribution! Argote created a Flickr to IPB webapp, thanks! [direct link to app]

Enjoy!

Nothing fancy, just wanted to capture how the intense moisture ruins anything not galvanized as is the case with this salter:

Moisture

6617291371_1b2d4ccbda_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2012-01-01 18:55:50

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D5000

Lens: 35mm f/1.8

Focal Length: 35 mm

Mode: Aperture-priority AE

Aperture: f/2.0

Exposure Time: 0.017 sec (1/60)

ISO: 200

Starting 2012 off early, literally ;-)

6618897595_54c2216068_b.jpg

2012 Jan Sunrise 1 by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

6618897545_e2dc5f030c_b.jpg

2012 Jan Sunrise 2 by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

6618928643_520e847f92_b.jpg

2012 Jan Sunrise 3 by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

All 3 are 5 bracketed shots merged in Photomatix to give an HDR output. I use HDR to improve the details of an image, not give that waxy look you often see posted online. I believe some blackness should be left in scenes like this because black gives a nice contrast and brings focus to colours and shades.

It's impossible to shoot such a scene in one exposure and getting enhanced detail and getting that colour vividness that your eye sees on location but the camera won't pick up in a single shot.

A Canon 40D with 10-22mm lens was used.

• Like 1

Amazing images guys :)

I hope to be active on this sub-forum this year after upgrading my bridge to a Canon 550D.

I've already taken lots of shots, however nothing worthy enough compared to the above.

EXII is a nice flash, a worthy upgrade to my EXI :D But I remember when flashes were cheap! I paid ?150 brand new for mine!

Frack all... Wish I had bought one back then. This EXII set me back $320 (?200), and that was on sale (reg. $390).

And one more shot. Can't seem to fall asleep tonight, so what better way to pass the time than working on some old photos:

6633546499_b9325d7995_z.jpg

Insomniac by David Taraso, on Flickr

• Like 1

Nice picture but I can't help but constantly wonder why BMW lost the plot with their newer cars, they all look the same now, the M series aren't as distinguishable from a non M powered "Sport" variant and the lines have become soft compared to the muscular dimensions of older models :(

Mercedes on the other hand has gone the other way round and their newest cars look amazing in all guises!

CTS

6633822239_0ea4dc1f9b_z.jpg

A Cadillac CTS coupe being promoted in the Andares mall. Zapopan, Mexico.

Date Taken: 2011-12-12 14:16:38

Camera Make: SONY

Camera Model: DSLR-A200

Lens: DT 35mm F1.8 SAM

Focal Length: 35 mm

Mode: Aperture-priority AE

Aperture: f/1.8

Exposure Time: 0.001 sec (1/1600)

ISO: 200

• Like 1

[Drops M&Ms onto the ground towards to my house so that alien can follow me to meet ET] That way, I can watch ET beating that sucker up.

Bt the way, great photos, everyone and Happy New Year!

Nice picture but I can't help but constantly wonder why BMW lost the plot with their newer cars, they all look the same now, the M series aren't as distinguishable from a non M powered "Sport" variant and the lines have become soft compared to the muscular dimensions of older models :(

Mercedes on the other hand has gone the other way round and their newest cars look amazing in all guises!

Minus the SLS, all mercs are fugly right now, as are most BMWs.

The M3 is easily distinguished as an M3 from any angle, but the point of an M car is that it looks very similar to the normal version it's based on. But the E90 3 series is done now; F30 should be out in a few months.

Oh, and that picture of the M3 is pretty good, too :)

accidental shot.

the cam was in Manual Focus so wasnt expecting my cat to.. :(

focus is a little ahead of him coz i had it set at eye level.. Anyhow. lil post made it look lil better

post-285248-0-34774400-1326721770_thumb.