Photo

Definitive Best *Paid* Antivirus 2012

antivirus poll antivirus paid poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Paid AV 2012 (506 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Choice? (also see Continued, below)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Your Choice? [Continued]

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 Seizure1990

Seizure1990

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2012 - 21:24

I've been using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition and currently its successor, Symantec Endpoint Protection. It negatively affects the start-up time of my laptop but once it's up and running, it's fine. Never had problems, I visit questionable sites with malware and it would provide great protection.

In truth, this is my FAVORITE AV but I can't really recommend it to the average user, since it's a bit more advanced as far as configuration and maintenance goes.

Having said that, it's a rare occasion for something to get past it.

#47 mightymightyme

mightymightyme

Neowinian

Posted 28 February 2012 - 21:25

I keep a locked down VM if I ever need to access anything from an unsavory source, I verify its clean, take out of the VM and reset the VM back to default image. I run MSE on my system just to be sure. Saying you don't run an antivirus and don't have any viruses, is like saying you don't have cancer because you don't feel like you have cancer (at least on Windows anyways).

#48 satukoro

satukoro

Neowinian

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:14

I've been using MSE/Defender after Avast. I ran Avast for a few years with no issues whatsoever, but when I installed Windows 8 DP, I found Defender to do the job quite well.

#49 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:18

Sophos has been outstanding for me. very low profile and not annoying client that's kept me pretty safe.

the worst was macafee and avast. macafee wouldn't be able to catch the crook if he ran down with the murder weapon and the head of the person screaming "I killed her!" right at the police station!!!

and avast and it's annoying setting of screaming in the middle of the night"YOUR VIRUS DEFINITIONS HAVE BEEN UPDATED!!!!" or "THERE IS AN UPDATE FOR YOUR SOFTWARE" seriously... they should have not made it do that by default!!!

#50 theclueless

theclueless

Neowinian

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:23

best antivirus: your brain
worst antivirus: your hand

#51 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:44

1 Dell laptop with SuperAntiSpyware
1 Toshiba laptop with MSE
1 Compaq laptop with MSE
1 HP laptop with MSE
1 HP desktop with MSE
1 Heinz 57 desktop with MSE.

#52 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:51

MSE since it's free :D.

#53 Seizure1990

Seizure1990

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:19

I keep a locked down VM if I ever need to access anything from an unsavory source, I verify its clean, take out of the VM and reset the VM back to default image. I run MSE on my system just to be sure. Saying you don't run an antivirus and don't have any viruses, is like saying you don't have cancer because you don't feel like you have cancer (at least on Windows anyways).

But if you get occasional cancer tests (virus scans) and they all turn up negative, then you know. :)

#54 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:23

avast and it's annoying setting of screaming in the middle of the night"YOUR VIRUS DEFINITIONS HAVE BEEN UPDATED!!!!" or "THERE IS AN UPDATE FOR YOUR SOFTWARE" seriously... they should have not made it do that by default!!!

Which is why I disable sounds 10 seconds after installation on all the avast installs I do

#55 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:25

MSE and Malwarebytes for spyware. Overal performance, "meh" lol.

#56 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:30

ESET NOD32 (or Smart Security) all the way. Best AV out there.

Steer well clear of McAfee and AVG. No opinion on all others.

#57 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:32

Which is why I disable sounds 10 seconds after installation on all the avast installs I do

yeah but sometimes when I update it the sounds come back on!!! :pinch:

#58 fanel89

fanel89

Neowinian

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:57

In truth, this is my FAVORITE AV but I can't really recommend it to the average user, since it's a bit more advanced as far as configuration and maintenance goes.

That is true and while it's usually meant for more advanced users and corporations, when I uninstall I just leave on the default settings and won't fiddle around with it. Once it's running, scanning is very straightforward but most of the time, you don't even have to do a manual scan... it does its own thing in the background.

#59 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:10

Does Rtscan or what ever that process name is still chug 90% cpu on boot and 5 mins after boot or just a **** ton of CPU in general.

#60 Seizure1990

Seizure1990

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 March 2012 - 00:41

Does Rtscan or what ever that process name is still chug 90% cpu on boot and 5 mins after boot or just a **** ton of CPU in general.

I never noticed a serious impact on performance when using Symantec Endpoint.