Photo

Definitive Best *Paid* Antivirus 2012

antivirus poll antivirus paid poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Paid AV 2012 (506 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Choice? (also see Continued, below)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Your Choice? [Continued]

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#76 devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:54

Just wait to see what Norton has in store for you soon!

#77 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 August 2012 - 14:52

Bitdefender is the best.

#78 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 30 August 2012 - 19:39

I've been using ESET Smart Security but I'm going to move onto Norton Internet Security 2012 and see how that is following the recommendations from here!

#79 +Jombi

Jombi

Teh Jombi

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:20

After spending the past few months learning about crypters, viri, etc...I can definitely say Sophos is one of the better paid AVs. Norton is just terrible. When I check Stubs for detections, usually after crypting I'll get 2/46...one of those two is usually always Sophos. I've seen one detection scan show 44/46 detections with Norton and ENOD32 as the only 2 companies without a current scan.

To each his own I guess. I've found that AVG + 1 other usually catches everything.

#80 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:32

Norton 2012 is pretty good and that's what Im using right now, been thinking to give Webroot a try though.

#81 epk

epk

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:41

I use Norton, but F-Secure has got nice results in most tests.

By the way, even using Norton, I still keep Malwarebytes' AntiMalware Free installed, and I'd probably keep it no matter what I use. It's a great last resort program.

#82 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:45

I use Norton, but F-Secure has got nice results in most tests.

By the way, even using Norton, I still keep Malwarebytes' AntiMalware Free installed, and I'd probably keep it no matter what I use. It's a great last resort program.

If you are using it as a last resort program wouldn't you want to pay for it and use it's on demand scanner?

#83 OP +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:39

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind if you are using a web-based program or one without a memory resident component is that it is probably going to miss detection of some things. For example, viruses, worms or rootkits which use stealth mechanisms to avoid detection on disk or in memory. Even then, there's no such thing as an anti-malware which detects everything. New threats appear daily, and anti-malware programs are updated daily (or more often) to deal with those.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#84 epk

epk

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 04 September 2012 - 18:21

If you are using it as a last resort program wouldn't you want to pay for it and use it's on demand scanner?

Well, honestly I don't know how good it is as a full time AV (since you should only have one of those running). I know it's great to catch and clean things the others can't, but... and for some reason they don't include it on any comparatives I've seen : /

#85 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 04 September 2012 - 18:22

Well, honestly I don't know how good it is as a full time AV (since you should only have one of those running). I know it's great to catch and clean things the others can't, but... and for some reason they don't include it on any comparatives I've seen : /

Well malwarebytes is perfectly fine as a second opinion scanner to be run next to your primary AV

#86 TTGSteve

TTGSteve

Neowinian

Posted 08 September 2012 - 23:08

Well malwarebytes is perfectly fine as a second opinion scanner to be run next to your primary AV

That's what I use malwarebytes for now and it's working out great for me. There's no use in running it full-time if you also have a full-time AV program running.

#87 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 08 September 2012 - 23:10

That's what I use malwarebytes for now and it's working out great for me. There's no use in running it full-time if you also have a full-time AV program running.

Actually i disagree. the whole point of a second opinion scanner is just that. A second opinion, meaning what ever the AV might miss malwarebyes might catch.

#88 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:49

yo! what does people think about Sophos tho?

#89 OP +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:37

Hello,

While it may be possible to simultaneously run multiple antimalware programs together, at some point, an update of one or the other may introduce conflicts between the two.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Actually i disagree. the whole point of a second opinion scanner is just that. A second opinion, meaning what ever the AV might miss malwarebyes might catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVB_j4mhvck

#90 TTGSteve

TTGSteve

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2012 - 22:40

That and it's just a resource hog and unnecessary, in my opinion. I think running Malwarebytes once a week and having a full time antivirus program constantly running should be sufficient.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!