457 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice?

• Alwil Avast! Free
    • AVG AntiVirus Free
    • Beijing Rising Free Anti Virus
    • ClamWin/ClamAV
    • Comodo Anti Virus/Internet Security
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware (free edition)
    • MalwareBytes Anti Malware (free edition)
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Panda Cloud Antivirus
    • PC Tools (Symantec) Anti Virus Free Edition/ThreatFire
    • Other (please specify)

Question

Hello,

In the preceding Definitive Best Antivirus 2011 message thread, there were requests to seperate the commercial and free antivirus products. For 2012, I have created two separate polls. This is the poll for the free antivirus programs. For commecial (paid-for) antivirus, please see the Definitive Best *Paid* Antivirus 2012 message thread.

Questions or comments? Post them here in the message thread.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am starting to get tired of Security Essentials a.k.a. Windows Defender

Some days ago, and also, for some time in Consumer Preview of Windows 8, it started eating up my resources pretty badly. I mean processor at full 100% for God knows how long. I had to refresh my PC, to get rid of it.

I am thinking about getting BitDefender now

I keep hearing that the MSE/Defender included with Windows 8 is actually pretty good, well for me I like being able to scan a file when I want too. Defender in Windows 8 is too much in the background, no options.

So before I started using MSE (windows 7) I used to use AVG, which I stopped because it became fat with crap. Is it still crappy?

I tried Avast, screwed up my internet and system, not working with 8 yet. I want the lightest antivirus out there, working 100% with Windows 8?