Steve Jobs Overrated?

190 members have voted

1. 1. Steve Jobs Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

I haven't seen any other company accomplish what Apple has. Sure, other companies sell lots of smartphones, tablets, and computers, but do they have passionate users?

I haven't seen any other company accomplish what Apple has. Sure, other companies sell lots of smartphones, tablets, and computers, but do they have passionate users?

so steve isnt overrated cause he has cult like users??

as for the OP, hes dead leave it alone and move on with your life /thread.

He maid us PC users bend the rules and push the boundaries and for this I thank him. To be honest he brought style to the computer world and got us all to try something different. In Tech world he is a formidable character a legend maybe. Out side this world he hasn't really cure world famine. So the opinion lies with the person in question.

He is what ever you want him to be :)

Depends on what your rating him on.

Was Steve Jobs the greatest rock drummer ever - no he was over rated.

Was Steve Jobs a brilliant businessman who made a big difference to the world of mobile phones, protable music players and personal computers? Yes, not over rated

Definitely not. No coincidence that when he left, Apple was virtually run into the ground, and when he came back he turned them into one of the biggest corporate success stories of our time?

I'm not crazy for Apple stuff but you simply can't deny what he bought to technology and of course cinema (through Pixar) in his career. The guy was a genius.

When I heard people talk about how Steve Jobs changed the world it makes me want to slap them! Look, no doubt he was a true genius but to say he changed the world because he had a unique way of doing things and started an extremely profitable company is just ludacris.......Yes he was a great influence for many people in the tech. industry but that's it. He got way too much attention when he sadly passed away and I think people got caught up in it all and started spewing nonsense like this. Most of the people that buy Macs do nothing creative with them. They just follow the herd, much like sheep, which is perfectly alright but to say their lives were changed because of Apple products is just silly and idiotic. They are extremely slick and very elegant and are of pretty good quality plus come bundled with great support but that's it. They aren't a gift from God, they aren't the holy grail of products, they just are. So let's stop exaggerating when it comes to Steve Jobs and let the man rest in peace.

Samsung and Shin Jong-kyun? 10-time sales increase in 1,5 years to 1st place on smartphone market

He was a true genius for showing the world that there is other alternatives than just believing in a God thus the Apple Cult was formed. This was what he should be credited for.

If Steve Jobs had not returned to Apple and culled all their product lines down in to four computers Apple would not be here today.

It's just a fact they were facing bankruptcy within but a few months. So is he overrated? Well look at Apple now they are a huge brand they make more profit from selling just the iPhone than their competitors do for all their smart phones combined. Not all the ideas used at Apple were his own but he allowed the good ideas to flower while the CEO's before him did not.

So as a CEO he is definitely not overrated, his contributions to computing are numerous. And I'm pretty sure Toy Story would never have been made had he not kept putting his own money in to Pixar taking huge personal financial losses in the process. Again he didn't make Toy Story he simply let the artists do what they did best just like how he let Johnny Ive (iMac, iPod, iPhone Hardware) and Jon Rubinstein (iPod, iPhone Hardware) and Scott Farstall (Mac Software, iPhone Software) do what they did best at Apple.

• Like 2

You guys have really nothing better to talk about on January 1st ?

Obviously you are on the same boat as us for reading this post and voicing your opinion.

Im not an apple user but it would be hard not to give Jobs respect. He was a marketing genius and an all around business genius. He knew how to run a company and get stuff done. Hard to say that a man who did all the things that Steve Jobs did was overrated.

End of story..

His marketing genius was "culted".

He must have done something right to bring Apple from the brink of bankruptcy to become one of the most valuable companies in the world. He steered a sinking ship to a safe harbour, invested in a good crew and set off again.

I despise Apple as a company but I respect Steve Jobs as and individual, he was a great man and brought some great products into the world

He did ok (still overrated imo), but the fans are just absolutely annoying. They praise him as if he were a religious figure, and that's just dumb.

Definitely not. No coincidence that when he left, Apple was virtually run into the ground, and when he came back he turned them into one of the biggest corporate success stories of our time?

I'm not crazy for Apple stuff but you simply can't deny what he bought to technology and of course cinema (through Pixar) in his career. The guy was a genius.

So are you saying Apple is done since Jobs is permenantly gone? It's more like they guy that took over did a horrible job. No more no less.

He did ok (still overrated imo), but the fans are just absolutely annoying. They praise him as if he were a religious figure, and that's just dumb.

So true. Not only that, they are absolutely some of the dumbest people I have ever met. They actually believe that Apple invented the computer and touchscreen technology. Not to mention they think they have a 4G phone.

• Like 2

Yes I think he's far overrated. He made products successful and massively profitable because he kept them expensive but made them attractive and ease to use for Joe Average. People found value in the usability, the same usability that Windows offers on a PC. People underestimate the importance of superior usability or user-friendly design. Apple are more or less at the same level as their competitors but they and Microsoft will always have superior usability to any other company - Apple and Microsoft do usability absolutely the best. It is so ironical that "smart phone" and "tablet" were both terms coined by Microsoft and made ubiquitous by Apple. Was SJ great? Definitely yes, but some morons are comparing him in the same league as great scientists like Einstein, Michael Faraday, Newton. That's BS. So yes he's far more overrated. He was a successful businessman with a great sense of vision and good understanding of design and usability. Not more than that. Microsoft failed initially with good usability in mobile space, now they might have that with Windows Phone but they're lacking now in terms of completeness of features. What Apple has accomplished with phones and tablets, Microsoft has before them in the far more interesting and exciting space, called personal computers. What's a better product is always so subjective and will be a constant debate but I feel Windows is far superior to Mac OS X in terms of usability. Windows on a tablet once it's released will be superior to the iPad. But this is just my opinion. For me, Bill Gates is THE man to be inspired from. Look at what he did to computers. Microsoft hit the sweet spot between technically advanced design and usability in software. If there was no Bill Gates and no Microsoft, then I would have rated Steve Jobs much higher.

From my perspective, the really incredible thing that Apple and SJ did was they tried and tried hard against Microsoft time and again but didn't succeed in the PC space. So they tried in another market like portable players and wildly succeeded. And then they tried that with phones and again succeeded. They threatened the PC market for those who need to do minimal things with their devices by making tablets a potential PC replacement for those people with such minimal needs. So they defined their own market in which to succeed. That's true leadership and pretty amazing. And now everyone is so obsessed with how close the way they do things like Apple that they are risking the destruction of their own already wildly successful and dominant products in their copy-Apple mania.

• Like 2