iTunes account hacked, what to do?

Hello,

I checked my email this morning only to find an email from Apple informing me my Apple ID had been used to download an app called "Good Dream" on an unauthorized device. I immediately checked my iPhone and did indeed see the "Good Dream" app was automatically downloaded.

I opened the app and it's entirely in Chinese - I don't know how to read Chinese (never have, never will). The app costs $12.74 after taxes and everything.

I use gift cards for my iTunes Store account, so I don't have to remove any credit card information. I've changed my password and de-authorized all computers and authorized only the one I use.

Does anyone have any steps on how to contact Apple? I'm aware that you can email their support team, but is there anyway to call? Is there a chance that the money can be returned, even though it's a gift card?

Thanks.

This happened to me a while back, someone downloaded an app that was worth ?9.99 or something. I just put it down to bad luck, changed my password and forgot about it. S*** happens.

Just a little update: my account was disabled by Apple. I was asked to reset my password again (and I did). Funds haven't been restored yet, but since Apple's aware of the hacking, I'm guessing that will happen soon. Will likely send off an email later.

Does anyone have any steps on how to contact Apple? I'm aware that you can email their support team, but is there anyway to call?

I really don't want to be sarcastic here, but if this is a genuine question: dial their phone number into your phone and wait for someone to pick up the other end? If you don't know the number, there's a link at the bottom of their website that says "Contact Us".

I really don't want to be sarcastic here, but if this is a genuine question: dial their phone number into your phone and wait for someone to pick up the other end? If you don't know the number, there's a link at the bottom of their website that says "Contact Us".

Sure, but that's tech support. I'm not sure if they consider funds in an iTunes account "tech support," since there's probably nothing the representative can do on the phone.

Hello,

I checked my email this morning only to find an email from Apple informing me my Apple ID had been used to download an app called "Good Dream" on an unauthorized device. I immediately checked my iPhone and did indeed see the "Good Dream" app was automatically downloaded.

There is no such thing as automatic download or install or push download/ install for iOS. You have to initiate a download/install or sync with iTunes.

There is no such thing as automatic download or install or push download/ install for iOS. You have to initiate a download/install or sync with iTunes.

Say hello to iOS 5! It's a new feature that automatically downloads anything you buy on your computer to all your devices. Amazing, isn't it?

My question is if Apple knew the device wasn't authorized, then why did they allow the charge/download of application to begin with?

Here's my question: do iOS devices need to be authorized? Because if not, then they could have gained access that way.

Here's my question: do iOS devices need to be authorized? Because if not, then they could have gained access that way.

A device like a PC doesn't need to be authorized. You can download with iTunes using an un-authorized PC.

A device like a PC doesn't need to be authorized. You can download with iTunes using an un-authorized PC.

Sounds like that should be changed to eliminate this type of problem.

Another update - iTunes support got back to me. They disabled my account again and had me reset the password and security question. They said they refunded my account for the purchase, but it hasn't appeared yet. Seems like the matter is being resolved pretty quickly.

I can tell you apple support is pretty damned good. The couple of times when I had downloaded an app, not realizing it was a paid for app - I emailed apple's support and the problem was fixed within 24 hours - and when I did have to actually speak to someone w/ apple support - IT WAS AN AMERICAN SPEAKING ENGLISH !! AMAZING

The best thing you did was use gift cards. I've wiped my CC #'s from iTunes and my Xbox. I buy $25 gift cards for iTunes. When I'm down to a couple bucks I buy another. It limits what can happen if someone gets into your account.

The best thing you did was use gift cards. I've wiped my CC #'s from iTunes and my Xbox. I buy $25 gift cards for iTunes. When I'm down to a couple bucks I buy another. It limits what can happen if someone gets into your account.

And it's honestly not that big of an inconvenience. I can only image what could have been bought if a credit card was linked.

Any ideas how you wipe your cards from the iTunes account? Been looking to do this ever since I inadvetantly got billed ?50 for TomTom even although I cancelled the download by hitting cancel on password dialogue box with the app download restrictions in place!

Any ideas how you wipe your cards from the iTunes account? Been looking to do this ever since I inadvetantly got billed ?50 for TomTom even although I cancelled the download by hitting cancel on password dialogue box with the app download restrictions in place!

iTunes Store > click on your email address and enter your password > click Edit beside Payment Information > select None for credit card

I got billed for $99 on the 27th, and emailed apple and they had refunded my money in less than 10 minutes. Then went through the usual remove payment options/change password procedure.

Not sure how my account got jacked as I've very rarely used itunes on the PC, and I had to download it to remove the payment option.