Photo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 +Stuart Middlemiss

Stuart Middlemiss

To think now, is to not think you are here thinking it now. mill

• Phone: +64278762835

Posted 03 January 2012 - 22:19

http://www.dd-wrt.co...99c46f3dbf63f01 Looks like 'traffic shaping' is supported!

A rough difference between QoS and 'traffic shaping'

Posted Image

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 January 2012 - 22:32

No, the important bit is the bottle neck that is ISP->modem/router from router to clients there's no issue. with local QoS and traffic shaping on downstream you're just throwing away stuff thta's already passed the bottleneck.

More importantly QoS on the upstream will in most cases fix any problems anyway since that's usually what slows you down, a clogged upstream will make your downstream slower since you can't request new packages fast enough. so you won't get full or even close to full use of the downstream you have available.

#18 +Stuart Middlemiss

Stuart Middlemiss

To think now, is to not think you are here thinking it now. mill

• Phone: +64278762835

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:20

Although, I don't believe the traffic shaping router is throwing away packets...yet. The router sees 2 packets coming in: 1 to client 'A' and 1 to client 'B' ... The traffic shaping router sees that client 'A' has more priority than client 'B' and thus delivers the packet first to client 'A' | If the bandwidth is fully utilized then to achieve required throughput to client 'A', packets to client 'B' must be dropped. I believe this is what he wants.

My ISP throttles me back to 64kbps if we go over the monthly cap. But i'm still able to 'shape' those packets even so, to allow more priority of that 64kb of bandwidth to a particular client.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:48

But, shaping is pointless at that point, it's already past the bottle neck, of only risk throwing the away, there's no other benefit at that in in the chin.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!