Best PHP IDE?

Question

I have tried using RadPHP (by Embarcadero). I can't really get into it (probably because I don't understand how to use it properly). I really like Dreamweaver, but it's a tad pricy for me and I'm not going to pirate it (it's just wrong, IMO).

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be free.

I use Netbeans.

I haven't extensively used any other IDEs other than Dreamweaver but when i moved to PHP development a couple of years ago it just didn't cut it anymore.

Some of the things i like with it are, support for frameworks, integrated subversion. Best of all it is completely free.

I found it a bit daunting to start with as i moved from DW which i treated like a glorified notepad. Now i use a lot of the features Netbeans offer which really speeds up my development.

Aptana - it's based on Eclipse (very popular Java IDE), and is very nice. Half the guys at work use it.

The others use PHPEdit, but it is made by a French company, so be warned :p

PhpStorm without a doubt. Unlike most other IDE's it's actually built for PHP and not every language on the planet. I tried out pretty much everything from NetBeans to Eclipse/Zend Studio and PhpStorm beats them all. Works on Windows / Linux / Mac too so that's a big plus if you're in a multi-OS environment between work / home.

Notepad++ has no debugging support.

+1 For Netbeans. I'm a professional developer and I get contracted with other developer teams who also use Netbeans. You really can't go wrong with it.

Has out of the box support for xdebugger/zend framework and symphony as well. Great all around IDE. I've also used it for C++ and it's great.

IDE-wise I used to use PHPed which was good, but I slowly grew more into Aptana as it ad more flexibility. Only issue with Aptana is it's slow (unless you have an SSD then you are laughing).

Though, if you want to step away a bit from IDEs then maybe also look at Sublime Text 2 as it might have what you want, keep in mind you'll need to install them separately.

I use Dreamweaver and I like it because it has all the features. Its designer is the best of all.

I'd have said Dreamweaver too if the OP hadn't specifically said not to :p

I like NetBeans because it offers flexability and supports various frameworks such as Zend or Symfony. It's quite customisable, however because it is running on the Java Runtime it isn't as fast as most IDE's. Second to NetBeans, Id say PhpStorm is the best one.