Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can this gforce take starcraft2

17 posts in this topic

Posted

So i know the name of my graphics card.It is geforce gt530 2gb ddr3 128 bit.Now i am buying this gforce for one reason only and that is starcraft2.Later on i will play other games but right now i want to buy the game i have been waiting for for more than a decade but i'm really dumb with computers so i want to know would this gforce run sc2.

Here is sc2 requirements.Forget about the rest just look at the gforce part/

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements

Posted

Its fine.

it wont be max settings but it will be fine.

Posted

I was able to play SC2 fluid on my 9800GTX temporarily while I was waiting for a replacement GPU so the GT530 will run it just fine.

Posted

This is a joke right? It runs perfectly even on my ancient GeForce 8600 GT.

Posted

I guess he wants to know if he can amp up the graphical settings. Plus 8600 will not run it if you were using say a 24" screen with 1920x1200.

Posted

Like i said i'm not very good with computers unless you talk to my family They think i'm really smart with pc but it is in fact they that know even less than me about computers.ANyway let me clarify my question there will not be any tecnical issues.I should not get some dumb error message saying something about something not being compatible or such nonsense

Posted

Once you've bought the card and installed it (and remember to install it properly, as in ground yourself, have the mains disconnected from the computer and press the power button once you've removed the mains a few times to discharge the caps) just install the latest nVidia drivers from their website (marked as WHQL) and you're set to to go.

Posted

so i went on to the blizzard site and the 500 gforce series is not supported.The 200 and 300 and 400 is listed but the 500 series is not listed.I think it best to buy this gforce instead gforce gts 450 1gb 128 bit.Now even though this one is 1gb it is faster and more expensive like that make sense.

Al least I know for a fact it will run sc2 i know this because i read this

gts450,you can dominate the competion in the hottest titles like sc2 without breaking your wallet

It is actually very expensive and I will be low on cash this month and the month after but it is a great investment for any gamer so im doing it.

Posted

so i went on to the blizzard site and the 500 gforce series is not supported.

wrong

see here

http://www.geforce.c...-GTX-550-Ti-OPS

Posted

so i went on to the blizzard site and the 500 gforce series is not supported.The 200 and 300 and 400 is listed but the 500 series is not listed.I think it best to buy this gforce instead gforce gts 450 1gb 128 bit.Now even though this one is 1gb it is faster and more expensive like that make sense.

Al least I know for a fact it will run sc2 i know this because i read this

gts450,you can dominate the competion in the hottest titles like sc2 without breaking your wallet

It is actually very expensive and I will be low on cash this month and the month after but it is a great investment for any gamer so im doing it.

Blizzard won't be updating that page every time a new graphics card is made by Nvidia or ATI. If the card is newer than what they say you'll usually be fine as long as you stay within the same class (you can use lower classes as time passes and lower end cards push what used to be high end, say 5 years after the title came out or so).

A GeForce 5 series card will handle Starcraft II just fine.

Posted

SC2 is more CPU bound than anything.

As always, Tom's Hardware GPU chart is a valuable reference tool. It shows that card to be several tiers above the minimum needed but well below recommended so you should be ok at mid settings.

Posted

I guess he wants to know if he can amp up the graphical settings. Plus 8600 will not run it if you were using say a 24" screen with 1920x1200.

I'm able to run it on max settings pretty well at 1920x1200, assuming there's not a few hundred units on the screen at one time, with a 9800 GTX+.

Posted

Blizzard won't be updating that page every time a new graphics card is made by Nvidia or ATI. If the card is newer than what they say you'll usually be fine as long as you stay within the same class (you can use lower classes as time passes and lower end cards push what used to be high end, say 5 years after the title came out or so).

A GeForce 5 series card will handle Starcraft II just fine.

That was my thiought as well but i've decided ti buy the more expensive card anyway.It is not a lot more money and it is a long term investment there is no sense in rushing it.But thank you for all your reply's

Posted

SC2 is more CPU bound than anything.

As always, Tom's Hardware GPU chart is a valuable reference tool. It shows that card to be several tiers above the minimum needed but well below recommended so you should be ok at mid settings.

Agreed on the CPU-bounding of SC2 (either Wings of Liberty or Heart of the Swarm).

When I had the AMD HD5450 (a Mobility GPU in desktop PCI-E clothing; not only was it single-slot, it was passive-cooled) I could play at 1366x768 @ High (not Medium) detail.

Merely replacing that with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti (same age, but a step upward in capability) puts everything to the firewall at 1920x1080 (my monitor's ceiling).  And by everything I mean *everything* - including AA.

And this is with an Intel Q6600 - Intel's original quad-core - clocked absolutely bone-stock.

Posted

Before you buy, make sure you have a motherboard that has a PCI Express lane.  You didn't list your computer model/specs, but I know most older computers have either plain PCI or AGP, which will severely limit your options.

Posted

Before you buy, make sure you have a motherboard that has a PCI Express lane.  You didn't list your computer model/specs, but I know most older computers have either plain PCI or AGP, which will severely limit your options.

That would typically be the case with a CSM (corporate-stable/consumer-stable) core - the *throwaway hardware* specification, in other words.

Even there, it's not always true - consider G3x and G4x, two Intel CSM chipset families.  Quite a few motherboards with both chipsets have PCI Express x16 slots.  (Mom's P4 has a G31 chipset, while my Q6600 has G41 - both have PCI-Express x16 slots that can be used.)  But it is something that does indeed require user investigation.

Posted

Runing SC2 on my rMBP, plays fine and enjoy it when at work.