Clementine Music Player 1.0

Clementine is a modern music player and library organiser

Clementine is a multiplatform music player. It is inspired by Amarok 1.4, focusing on a fast and easy-to-use interface for searching and playing your music.

• Search and play your local music library.
  • Listen to internet radio from Spotify, Grooveshark, Last.fm, SomaFM, Magnatune, Jamendo, SKY.fm and Digitally Imported, and Icecast.
  • Create smart playlists and dynamic playlists.
  • Tabbed playlists, import and export M3U, XSPF, PLS and ASX.
  • CUE sheet support.
  • Play audio CDs.
  • Visualisations from projectM.
  • Lyrics and artist biographies and photos.
  • Transcode music into MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, FLAC or AAC.
  • Edit tags on MP3 and OGG files, organise your music.
  • Fetch missing tags from MusicBrainz.
  • Download missing album cover art from Last.fm and Amazon.
  • Cross-platform - works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
  • Native desktop notifications on Linux (libnotify) and Mac OS X (Growl).
  • Remote control using a Wii Remote, MPRIS or the command-line.
  • Copy music to your iPod, iPhone, MTP or mass-storage USB player.
  • Queue manager.

Download: Clementine Music Player 1.0 (for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)

Screenshot of the OS X version:

VYV4x.png

I have used Clementine for awhile now. Great on Linux. In Windows, I always seems to go back to Foobar2k.

I have used Clementine for awhile now. Great on Linux. In Windows, I always seems to go back to Foobar2k.

I've switched to clementine in windows, it has a much nicer interface out of the box. the only thing I miss is being able to burn cds (foobar can do it with a plugin). However I rarely burn cds these days. Foobar's transcoder is also a little easier to use. Both great programs though

Yes, it does have a nicer GUI. But when in Windows, for some reason I cannot do without Fb2k. More of a habit my wife says.

Giving it a try, not a great first impression though

1st it uses system local(not system language) for default language, WTF

2nd. go into settings to change it, find the setting and set it to english (at least it lets you change, plus points for that) Close it to effect the change.

3rd .... still Norwegian...

4th close again and checks tray... yup it's one of those apps that doesn't follow the rules and standards for tray usage and goes in the tray even if it's not a service or background info app...

We'll see.

Don't see this app having quite the power I can have with FB2K though, which can look just as good with 2 minutes in layout mode. since there' I have panels for my library on one side, with my playlists tabs on the other. allows me excellent ability to make and manage playlists and fix bad tags in the library. We'll see if it MAY replace FB2K for playback and iPod sync though...

Doesn't phase me. I know it's free but I prefer a paid product "J.River Media Center". JRMC has well known Audiophile support and it also plays SACD files.

Giving it a try, not a great first impression though

1st it uses system local(not system language) for default language, WTF

2nd. go into settings to change it, find the setting and set it to english (at least it lets you change, plus points for that) Close it to effect the change.

3rd .... still Norwegian...

4th close again and checks tray... yup it's one of those apps that doesn't follow the rules and standards for tray usage and goes in the tray even if it's not a service or background info app...

We'll see.

Don't see this app having quite the power I can have with FB2K though, which can look just as good with 2 minutes in layout mode. since there' I have panels for my library on one side, with my playlists tabs on the other. allows me excellent ability to make and manage playlists and fix bad tags in the library. We'll see if it MAY replace FB2K for playback and iPod sync though...

There's an option to disable closing to tray and to disable tray icon completely. Not the best default but I have no problem with it as long as its easily disabled.

So I've been using it to play music in the background while playing SWTOR lately to test it out. with the annoying fugly toasts disabled of course.

but now I decided to replace a live song in my playslist with a proper good version and went into the library... and every song in every albums is listed 6 times... WTF. score just dropped quite a few

points from that.

Also havign to open each album manually in the library, instead og getting a list under the artist with Album - track... fail Makes it a lot harder to find songs if you don't remember exactly what album it was on without using the search feature, more annoying to brows artists songs and doubles the workload when adding multiple songs from the same artist but different albums to your playlist.

Best player on OS X for me. I use it in Windows for the "recently added" smart playlist (haven't figured out how to replicate that in fb2k yet). Only weird thing is it's inability to display album art of iTunes tracks.

I also use J River Media Centre. By far the best media player and it's well worth the ?15 that I spent on version 15 a while ago.

Sound quality is a notch above pretty much every other media player around. I don't quite know how they do that or whether its an artificial improvement, but listening to music in foobar compared to J River with the same settings is just sub par by comparison.

Best player on OS X for me. I use it in Windows for the "recently added" smart playlist (haven't figured out how to replicate that in fb2k yet). Only weird thing is it's inability to display album art of iTunes tracks.

1. Install the Playback Statistics component:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playcount

2. Select from the menu, Library -> Playback Statistics -> Show recently added

3. You'll see a button on the right "...", click it and select Create Autoplaylist.

I also use J River Media Centre. By far the best media player and it's well worth the ?15 that I spent on version 15 a while ago.

Sound quality is a notch above pretty much every other media player around. I don't quite know how they do that or whether its an artificial improvement, but listening to music in foobar compared to J River with the same settings is just sub par by comparison.

Not that I don't trust you or anything, but your "opinion" differs from that of professionals who say that Foobar is either better or just the same. The audio you put in is what you get out. What makes you think J. Rivers sounds better is because they probably stuff the output full of DSP effects to make it "sound" better, but it also rapes the music. that's fine if you like it that way that, but it's not how it was made to sound. and you can add in just as many DSP effects in Foobar so.

I liked the looks and ease of Clementine, but witht he bugs I'm seeing and the less powerful playlist and libraru fucntion compared to what Foobar and facets gives me, it's just a no go.

Not that I don't trust you or anything, but your "opinion" differs from that of professionals who say that Foobar is either better or just the same. The audio you put in is what you get out. What makes you think J. Rivers sounds better is because they probably stuff the output full of DSP effects to make it "sound" better, but it also rapes the music. that's fine if you like it that way that, but it's not how it was made to sound. and you can add in just as many DSP effects in Foobar so.

I liked the looks and ease of Clementine, but witht he bugs I'm seeing and the less powerful playlist and libraru fucntion compared to what Foobar and facets gives me, it's just a no go.

Damn straight. Clementine is good. But there are some bugs in the Windows version that are a deal breaker.

So to further review the status of this player

the "files" browser does not support network it seems, inf act it only directly allows you to brows the C:\ drive, you might be able to switch drive but it doesn't not like it when you go \\ it slows the whole app to a crawl... and doesn't work anyway

oh well I was planning to use it to play some audiobooks through my headset while playing SWTOR abnd playign music from Foobar (my GF sits right next to me and we both listen to the music and sometimes shared dialogs in SWTOR).

At leats I could drag the playlists/files from the network locations to the player. BUT then we'r eon to the next and major problem... Clementine doesn't let you select output device.... it seems like it does, but 1: you have to write it manually and 2: it's greyed out... Seems like a Linux remnant.

So This player has now been degraded to absolutely useless.

Nah, it definitely doesn't use DSP to enhance the audio unless you turn it on yourself - they're not on by default. It's true that it should be the same in any player but it seems to me (and quite a few others) that there is a higher level of clarity in the output. Quite how that is achieved I don't know, but the difference between J River Media and WMP for example, is quite obvious.

WMP uses DSP by default to enhance the sound, you where talking about Foobar that doesn't. and is recognized as one of the best media players for sound quality. especially with Kernel or WASAPI output.

Sound quality is a non issue for most people when it comes to media players. There really isn't a difference unless one player is doing something to the sound with dsp's, our you have very high end equipment and configure it with WASAPI or something.

So to further review the status of this player

the "files" browser does not support network it seems, inf act it only directly allows you to brows the C:\ drive, you might be able to switch drive but it doesn't not like it when you go \\ it slows the whole app to a crawl... and doesn't work anyway

oh well I was planning to use it to play some audiobooks through my headset while playing SWTOR abnd playign music from Foobar (my GF sits right next to me and we both listen to the music and sometimes shared dialogs in SWTOR).

At leats I could drag the playlists/files from the network locations to the player. BUT then we'r eon to the next and major problem... Clementine doesn't let you select output device.... it seems like it does, but 1: you have to write it manually and 2: it's greyed out... Seems like a Linux remnant.

So This player has now been degraded to absolutely useless.

Nothing is greyed out for me under output. I can also switch drives fine by specifying the path in the address bar. Didn't try a network share though.

I certainly wouldn't call it an "unusable" app... Some of the issues you have seem like bugs or something, definitely not stuff I've run into lol (like seeing stuff listed 6 times? I have 15k songs and no issues like that)

no way to select any output devices here. and yeah, I'm sure you can write drive letters, which is a bad design to have as the only way to switch anyway, and just typing the first \ the app freeze up for a very long time, and it do so for every subsequent letter after that. and when you hit enter after managing to drive the name of the "server" nothing. combined with the other terrible design choice and plain old bugs (like havign every song in each album listed 6 times)

it's unusable.

no way to select any output devices here. and yeah, I'm sure you can write drive letters, which is a bad design to have as the only way to switch anyway, and just typing the first \ the app freeze up for a very long time, and it do so for every subsequent letter after that. and when you hit enter after managing to drive the name of the "server" nothing. combined with the other terrible design choice and plain old bugs (like havign every song in each album listed 6 times)

it's unusable.

for your nitpicky use case :p

good library and playlists management is pretty much the alpha and omega of a library based music player though.

and the library track repeating bug is hardly nitpicky :)

This media player looks nice but looks too much lik iTunes does. And that is why I use Ecoute instead :)

Unless I need to use AirPlay, then I switch back to iTunes